Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: The Global warming blow-hards...

HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Oh come on, talk sense man, tell your excuse for a president about world hunger and aids, because he spends enough money to combat those things every WEEK on wars.
    Because obviously it is the president's job to end WORLD hunger and aids. Wait a second, I thought you wanted the US to mind it's own business.....

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    In a few years time, "they" will be wanting us to use fossil fuels again..to stave off the approaching ice age...

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot View Post
    Wait a second, I thought you wanted the US to mind it's own business.....
    Why don't you just make things up, seeing as you have nothing constructive to say ... oh wait, you just did!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Why don't you just make things up, seeing as you have nothing constructive to say ... oh wait, you just did!
    And this kids, is what is referred to as "the pot calling the kettle black".

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    As far as I can see, the case for global warming is still far from proven.
    And I don't buy the "yes, but what if it's right, think of the children" scaremongering either.

Even if you accept the need for action, so called "green taxes" are a con. In order to be effective they would have to be at levels which would be detremintal to the economy. They aren't, and never will be, so the argument in favour of them is pure bullshit. They are just poor excuses for yet more excessive taxation.

Similarly the arguments for a "carbon market" are rubbish - if someone saves more than they need to then selling the excess "saving" does no-one any good. It is just another excuse for shifting money from one place to another, really nothing to do with global warming. Want to bet that there will be a tax on those purchasing the excess savings?

However, I feel that those who are against doing anything at all are also talking out of their hats. If anyone can produce convincing reasons why any individual, company or country would not want to reduce it's fuel consumption I'd be glad to hear it.

I can understand why people (motor manufacturers for example) don't want to invest in fuel saving advances if their competitors don't do the same. In the short term it can only result in higher prices if the costs are passed on to the consumer, or lower profits of not. Failure to react when your competitors are making investments is crazy though. A short term boost in profits will be followed by long term recession or even death of industries who have failed to keep up.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Ava you shouldn't stereotype the members
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava etc
    What people like you...
    ..and believe me J2k4 is perfectly capable of writing his own stuff.. but why bother if someone else has already done the hard work..

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Personally, I believe there is sufficient evidence to say that the earth is getting warmer and that human produced CO2 is a major contributory factor, but imo the newspaper articles which always quote the worst case stuff from reports are generally retarded. The reports always say that theres huge uncertainty and so this almost automatically makes the worst case scenario a complete doom and gloom exaggeration, but its not really what scientists are predicting in their reports, its just what'll make a good headline.
    This report is good news, and there will be more reports as time goes on reducing the error bars further and further (most likely reducing the probability of apocalyptic scenarios) as the models get better.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    in the end it all begins at home.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Another cut and paste job j2?

Why yes, yes it is.

What people like you fail to mention is this, if we clean up our act and are subsequently proved wrong, we have lost NOTHING, if we fail to act, as you believe we should, and are proved wrong, we lose EVERYTHING.

So then:

You advocate meekly ceding EVERYTHING, and living thence with NOTHING.

How fucking dopey is that?

Here's a little cut and paste from your own cut and paste ...

Scientists insist that the lower estimates for sea levels and the human impact on global warming are simply a refinement due to better data on how climate works rather than a reduction in the risk posed by global warming.
    ...And here is what YOU'VE fail to note about THAT:

The same scientists who failed to adequately interpret the very data they recently used in their attempt to scare the bejebus out of everyone on the fucking planet have a felt need to backpedal furiously before they are caught with their pants around their ankles.

These are the scientists idiots such as yourself exalt as the ultimate and undeniable authorities, to whom you willingly entrust the livelihoods of everyone on the entire planet, save third- and fourth-worlders.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    As far as I can see, the case for global warming is still far from proven.
    And I don't buy the "yes, but what if it's right, think of the children" scaremongering either.

Even if you accept the need for action, so called "green taxes" are a con. In order to be effective they would have to be at levels which would be detremintal to the economy. They aren't, and never will be, so the argument in favour of them is pure bullshit. They are just poor excuses for yet more excessive taxation.

Similarly the arguments for a "carbon market" are rubbish - if someone saves more than they need to then selling the excess "saving" does no-one any good. It is just another excuse for shifting money from one place to another, really nothing to do with global warming. Want to bet that there will be a tax on those purchasing the excess savings?

However, I feel that those who are against doing anything at all are also talking out of their hats. If anyone can produce convincing reasons why any individual, company or country would not want to reduce it's fuel consumption I'd be glad to hear it.

I can understand why people (motor manufacturers for example) don't want to invest in fuel saving advances if their competitors don't do the same. In the short term it can only result in higher prices if the costs are passed on to the consumer, or lower profits of not. Failure to react when your competitors are making investments is crazy though. A short term boost in profits will be followed by long term recession or even death of industries who have failed to keep up.
    I'm very happy to have my colleague lynx carry the ball in this instance, as I can thereby escape any further nonsense about cut-and-paste.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot View Post
    And this kids, is what is referred to as "the pot calling the kettle black".
    HMP, the master of saying nothing ... do you actually have any opinions, or is this it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    ..and believe me J2k4 is perfectly capable of writing his own stuff.. but why bother if someone else has already done the hard work..
    The point is, he once posted here railing against people who cut and paste.

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Not as 'fucking dopey' as putting your trust in oil companies.

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I'm very happy to have my colleague lynx carry the ball in this instance, as I can thereby escape any further nonsense about cut-and-paste.
    How do you interpret what Lynx has said as supporting your point of view?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast