Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: The Global warming blow-hards...

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    TORONTO: A giant ice shelf the size of 11,000 football fields has snapped free from Canada's Arctic, scientists said.

The mass of ice broke clear 16 months ago from the coast of Ellesmere Island, about 800 kilometers (497 miles) south of the North Pole, but no one was present to see it in Canada's remote north. Scientists using satellite images later noticed that it became a newly formed ice island in just an hour and left a trail of icy boulders floating in its wake.

Warwick Vincent of Laval University, who studies Arctic conditions, traveled to the newly formed ice island and could not believe what he saw.

"This is a dramatic and disturbing event. It shows that we are loosing remarkable features of the Canadian North that have been in place for many thousands of years. We are crossing climate thresholds, and these may signal the onset of accelerated change ahead," Vincent said Thursday.

In 10 years of working in the region he has never seen such a dramatic loss of sea ice, he said.

The collapse was so powerful that earthquake monitors 250 kilometers (155 miles) away picked up tremors from it.

The Ayles Ice Shelf, roughly 66 square kilometers (41 square miles) in area, was one of six major ice shelves remaining in Canada's Arctic.

Scientists say it is the largest event of its kind in Canada in 30 years and point their fingers at climate change as a major contributing factor.

"It is consistent with climate change," Vincent said, adding that the remaining ice shelves are 90 percent smaller than when they were first discovered in 1906.

"We aren't able to connect all of the dots ... but unusually warm temperatures definitely played a major role."

Laurie Weir, who monitors ice conditions for the Canadian Ice Service, was poring over satellite images in 2005 when she noticed that the shelf had split and separated.

Weir notified Luke Copland, head of the new global ice lab at the University of Ottawa, who initiated an effort to find out what happened.

Using U.S. and Canadian satellite images, as well as data from seismic monitors, Copland discovered that the ice shelf collapsed in the early afternoon of Aug. 13, 2005.

"What surprised us was how quickly it happened," Copland said. "It's pretty alarming. Even 10 years ago scientists assumed that when global warming changes occur that it would happen gradually so that perhaps we expected these ice shelves just to melt away quite slowly, but the big surprise is that for one they are going, but secondly that when they do go, they just go suddenly, it's all at once, in a span of an hour."

Within days, the floating ice shelf had drifted a few miles (kilometers) offshore. It traveled west for 50 kilometers (31 miles) until it finally froze into the sea ice in the early winter.

The Canadian ice shelves are packed with ancient ice that dates back over 3000 years. They float on the sea but are connected to land.

Derek Mueller, a polar researcher with Vincent's team, said the ice shelves get weaker and weaker as the temperature rises. He visited Ellesmere's Ward Hunt Ice Shelf in 2002 and noticed it had cracked in half.

"We're losing our ice shelves and this a feature of the landscape that is in danger of disappearing altogether from Canada," Mueller said. "In the global perspective Antarctica has many ice shelves bigger than this one, but then there is the idea that these are indicators of climate change."

The spring thaw may bring another concern as the warming temperatures could release the ice shelf from its Arctic grip. Prevailing winds could then send the ice island southwards, deep into the Beaufort Sea.

"Over the next few years this ice island could drift into populated shipping routes," Weir said. "There's significant oil and gas development in this region as well, so we'll have to keep monitoring its location over the next few years."

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/..._Ice_Break.php
    Just a flesh wound.

Last edited by MagicNakor; 12-29-2006 at 08:09 AM.
    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #82
    kazaaman's Avatar Proud Indian
    That site, despite the name, isn't even Canadian. They tried, however; badly Photoshopped images of Bloc leaders are a hallmark of every reputable news source up here. Maybe next time they'll remember to remove their State-centric ones and fool us all.
    Yes, that site is total bullshit. Please get your facts straight jk24 (from reliable sources btw). Whether or not you think, global warming is true or not, the earth is going to change considerably in the future as up and coming nations such as China and India use more resources. They don't have the technology yet to be efficient like the U.S. does. It is a pity that w/ all this great technology we don't do anything except ignore something so vital. This is our planet for cryin' out loud. We should protect it to the best our abilities! And Btw, a good side effect of helping the environment, you save lots of money too. It's a good business incentive so why aren't more people doing it anyway? God damn lazy a**holes.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #83

Why do you hate us?

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

4. The Drawing Room   -   #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    That site, despite the name, isn't even Canadian. They tried, however; badly Photoshopped images of Liberal leaders are a hallmark of every reputable news source up here. Maybe next time they'll remember to remove their State-centric ones and fool us all.
    Fixed.

Incidentally I posted the initial statement while drunk, and am now correcting it while high.

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #85
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post

Why do you hate us?
    They undermine traditional American family values. All of them raise young out of wedlock and it turns out the penguin values are even more questionable....it's not uncommon for a same sex pair to raise the chick during it's most influential stage of development.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #86
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by kazaaman View Post
    That site, despite the name, isn't even Canadian. They tried, however; badly Photoshopped images of Bloc leaders are a hallmark of every reputable news source up here. Maybe next time they'll remember to remove their State-centric ones and fool us all.
    Yes, that site is total bullshit. Please get your facts straight jk24 (from reliable sources btw). Whether or not you think, global warming is true or not, the earth is going to change considerably in the future as up and coming nations such as China and India use more resources. They don't have the technology yet to be efficient like the U.S. does. It is a pity that w/ all this great technology we don't do anything except ignore something so vital. This is our planet for cryin' out loud. We should protect it to the best our abilities! And Btw, a good side effect of helping the environment, you save lots of money too. It's a good business incentive so why aren't more people doing it anyway? God damn lazy a**holes.
    Well, I guess our basic difference could be distilled to something along the lines of, "What criteria are you willing to employ in service of the idea that information you've consumed is of a grade superior to that of your opponent?"

Here's a newsflash for you-

If I trip over anything that counters your agenda in any way, I'm going to stick it in your ear, just to rattle your fucking cage.

My agenda (insofar as I have one) is not anti-environmental in any way, it is formulated solely to counter your emphasis on this particular point.

Now, I know you will not take the time to properly absorb, mull, or otherwise digest this post in order to refine your understanding of my beliefs on this matter, but I am well-aware you feel able to cast my "global-warming" stance in concrete you are mixing yourself.

BTW-

Go find a headline you think supports your ideas about global warming, and I'll bat it around awhile; see how it holds up?

One more thing:

Would you say that (and I do want you to answer this question) your stance is "pro-" or "anti-" global-warming?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #87

Why do you hate us?

Why, just the other day, I asked young Bill Ford how he could possibly bear the guilt of knowing that he and other Americans like him were one-hundred percent responsible for the scourge of global warming.

He just grinned, and said, "I know, I know, but I just hate harp seal pups, baby penguins, and polar bear cubs.

What's a poor billionaire to do if he can't seriously engage in a few dislikes....strictly as a hobby, you understand..."
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #88
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent

Why do you hate us?

We don't, provided there's a decent, well prepared sauce.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #89
    kazaaman's Avatar Proud Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Well, I guess our basic difference could be distilled to something along the lines of, "What criteria are you willing to employ in service of the idea that information you've consumed is of a grade superior to that of your opponent?"

Here's a newsflash for you-

If I trip over anything that counters your agenda in any way, I'm going to stick it in your ear, just to rattle your fucking cage.

My agenda (insofar as I have one) is not anti-environmental in any way, it is formulated solely to counter your emphasis on this particular point.

Now, I know you will not take the time to properly absorb, mull, or otherwise digest this post in order to refine your understanding of my beliefs on this matter, but I am well-aware you feel able to cast my "global-warming" stance in concrete you are mixing yourself.

BTW-

Go find a headline you think supports your ideas about global warming, and I'll bat it around awhile; see how it holds up?

One more thing:

Would you say that (and I do want you to answer this question) your stance is "pro-" or "anti-" global-warming?
    First of all, do you even know what my agenda is?. My agenda isn't very hard to absorb at all and surely isn't difficult to implement. I'm only asking people to think about how their decisions impact the environment and do something to reduce it. No I don't want them to stop having children or stop driving. Those are foolish notions and completely impractical. All a person has to do is their little part to be a part of the solution. By this I mean, recycle, use proper insulation in their homes, drive smart, and be a pioneer. Or as in the words of Gandhi, "Be the change you want to see in the world".

Moving on, the sites where I get my information? Yes I primarily use the first one but learned about the effects of global warming from the second link.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming
    2. http://www.climatecrisis.net/thescience/

Yes, bits of the wikipedia article may be inaccurate, but for that I use the references on the bottom of the page . If you thought that the sites I use are in any way more credible than the ones you use, your completely wrong my friend. I was just saying that site surely did not look like a Canadian site to me.

I don't understand your question about me being pro- or anti- global warming? Is this similar to pro-life, pro-choice. I mean I don't think I can really be against Global Warming because it is going to happen anyway. All I want is that it should be slowed down accordingly so that we can save our planet. As for pro- global warming, who in their right mind would want global warming to happen faster? I guess for your purpose, I could be stated as anti- global warming as I hope it'll be slowed down in the coming years.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #90
    I'm only asking people to think about how their decisions impact the environment and do something to reduce it.
    Reduce what? The environment?

recycle, use proper insulation in their homes, drive smart, and be a pioneer. Or as in the words of Gandhi, "Be the change you want to see in the world".
    While we cannot all be pioneers, we should all certainly do as you suggest; I know that I do.

Moving on, the sites where I get my information? Yes I primarily use the first one but learned about the effects of global warming from the second link.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming
    2. http://www.climatecrisis.net/thescience/

Yes, bits of the wikipedia article may be inaccurate, but for that I use the references on the bottom of the page . If you thought that the sites I use are in any way more credible than the ones you use, your completely wrong my friend. I was just saying that site surely did not look like a Canadian site to me.
    Well, then.

There is the fly-in-the-ointment.

You are relying on risky sources in the search for risky information.

Wikipedia we need not even discuss.

As to the other, what attracted you to it?

I'm betting the use of the word CRISIS in the title won your heart and mind as soon as you read it.

But I digress...

I don't understand your question about me being pro- or anti- global warming? Is this similar to pro-life, pro-choice. I mean I don't think I can really be against Global Warming because it is going to happen anyway. All I want is that it should be slowed down accordingly so that we can save our planet. As for pro- global warming, who in their right mind would want global warming to happen faster? I guess for your purpose, I could be stated as anti- global warming as I hope it'll be slowed down in the coming years.
    So you can't answer the question, and you seem unclear as to why I asked it...well, that's something, I guess.

In a nut-shell, then:

While nobody I've argued with, debated, agreed or disagreed with would deny evidence we might be on the slight uphill slope of a warming trend, there seems to be a certain type of member who cannot or will not entertain the idea that, not only is the globe warming, but the trend is unnatural (that is to say, it is unlike any such events past), AND irreversible unless we kill all of our cows and stop eating meat, stop using all fossil fuels (especially the USA), tax industry into submission, and expand the scope of environmental regulation until we have emissions sensors mounted on our bathroom walls so that we can be taxed for unauthorized or excessive farting.

All this, with the caveat that all of the associated costs of environmental regulation be borne by the USA and a few other industrialized countries with moderately successful economies, while other countries will be given a pass on their regulatory duties out of some misbgotten sense of "fairness".

I believe that, as individuals, we should practice responsible use and husbandry of any and every resource we consume, as well as several that we do not.

I also believe the reasons for doing so should extend no further than their self-evident sense.

By way of informing myself in order to argue with you, I will cite a lifetime of reading and listening and watching and experiencing things in order that I may think about them, an endeavor that is, for me, without end.

I guess if would be just as effective to remind you that while I was not present for the last Ice Age, I was around the last time an Ice Age was imminent.

I haven't forgotten the tone of the rhetoric, after all.

-Mark Twain

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast