Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitioned hard drive

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    I got my comp back from Bestbuy's Geeksquad on Monday (don't ask me why I took it there, it's for various reasons) and I noticed they partitioned my hard drive... why I don't know. There's nothing on the D: partition, would it be a good idea to merge it with C:, or is it there for a reason it that I'm not aware of? The D: partition is 132GB and my C: partition is 100GB Here's my specs if it helps any,

AMD X2 4200+ Manchester
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe ATX S939 NFORCE4 SLI X16 DDR 2PCI-E16 SATA2 RAID Sound 2GBLAN 1394 Motherboard
    OCZ Platinum EL PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400 (@ 2-3-2-5)
    Corsair HX520 CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX Triple 12V 40A Continuous 24PIN ATX Modular 120MM Power Supply
    Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive
    eVGA 6600GT PCI-E Video Card
    Last edited by S!X; 03-29-2007 at 05:23 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    i would guess they did it to back stuff up on? it's pretty lame they didn't undo it before they handed the machine back to you. if it's empty, and you don't want it, i would merge them.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    What's the best app to merge them with? I'm assuming partition magic For some reason I still find it confusing to use.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    kirktrix's Avatar Killing Zone BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I think it is ok to have a partitioned drive. I used C: for all the installed softwares and D: for all my saved files. In case my OS crashed or affected by erasable virus i can easily format my PC. without backing up my files.
    "Death is the result of weakness. The strong are the only ones who survive."

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kirktrix View Post
    I think it is ok to have a partitioned drive. I used C: for all the installed softwares and D: for all my saved files. In case my OS crashed or affected by erasable virus i can easily format my PC. without backing up my files.
    It's fine, but id rather have it merged
    Last edited by S!X; 03-29-2007 at 07:52 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I just assumed that with a gaming computer like yours you would have already partitioned it off like that. Leaving your system partition free for fast defrags to keep your games running fast.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    I got my comp back from Bestbuy's Geeksquad on Monday (don't ask me why I took it there, it's for various reasons)
    Sorry, not good enough.
    Why did you take it there?

and I noticed they partitioned my hard drive... why I don't know.
    So you never discussed having this done?
    There's nothing on the D: partition, would it be a good idea to merge it with C:, or is it there for a reason it that I'm not aware of? The D: partition is 132GB and my C: partition is 100GB
    The Geek Squad (or any other repair shop) doesn't just get to randomly partition a drive without your consent/approval.
    I'd take it back and make them merge the drive.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    I got my comp back from Bestbuy's Geeksquad on Monday (don't ask me why I took it there, it's for various reasons)
    Sorry, not good enough.
    Why did you take it there?

and I noticed they partitioned my hard drive... why I don't know.
    So you never discussed having this done?
    There's nothing on the D: partition, would it be a good idea to merge it with C:, or is it there for a reason it that I'm not aware of? The D: partition is 132GB and my C: partition is 100GB
    The Geek Squad (or any other repair shop) doesn't just get to randomly partition a drive without your consent/approval.
    I'd take it back and make them merge the drive.
    lol There's no way in hell I'm hauling my comp back up there for them just to do that, and no they never told me anything about partitioning the HD, nor did I tell them to do so.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    yeah, the geeks definitely should have fixed that before they gave it back to you, but i understand for not wanting to take it back just for that. i heard a girl today in class say her computer crashed and the geek squad would have it for *at least* two more weeks!! holy shit. what could take that long to fix?! i'm sure every person takes their stuff there, but damn, that long would kill me.

when my mobo blew and i took it in to a few places (NOT the geeksquad) they had the problem fixed and told me to come get it within 2 or 3 days. three cheers for mum & pop stores.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    RTFM's Avatar <? print "BCC"; ?> BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    If you just want to merge the partitions, use PartitionMagic and select "Merge partitions" in the left pane and follow to instructions from there.

Alternatively, you could delete the partition you don't want and then reallocate the space to the C: partition with the "Redistribute free space" option. I think this option is quicker, since you don't have anything on D: that you needs to be copied to C:.

Make sure you back up anything important before touching the partitions...I almost learned the hard way a few days ago .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast