Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vote for reformation of the WIAW thread

krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    if you rank over quality, there's just gonna be lots of bitching about "OHHH Torrentleech is better, cuz its got wayy more torrents than Sct" "WHAT RU TALKING ABOUT SCT IS FASTER PRETIMES, LALALALA..."

everyone is going to have their own opinion on how good their trackers are, and theres gonna be chaos and confusion, or alot of angry users.

rarity on the other hand is relatively debatable. in broad terms, it goes up when the invites are closed for a long period, and goes down again when the sites opens reg.

trust me theres no way rating 'quality' is ever gonna happen. it's just gonna be a bitchfest, except instead of 1 person bitching (you), its gonna be every single trader at fst.

im sorry if i was offensive to you, i'm not trying to be. im just trying to get the point across to you
    A. I get the point. And I'm not bitching.
    B. If people were willing to be reasonable and perhaps succumb to some sort of accurate system of measurement ratings would be feasible. It isn't unreasonable to assume that trackers can be rated. Just like when movies get reviews, not all reviews are 100% positive. There are always negative reviews that highlight the flaws and positive reviews that highlight the great performances and such. This could be settled quietly and reasonably.

Number of torrents: x
    Forum activity (new post p. day avg): x
    Seeded Torrents/ Leeched Torrents: x/x
    User averaged pretimes: x/10
    Average user rating: x/10

Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    If the things go about getting in, the logic indicates that the primary fact to take in consideration is the difficulty level that any given site has.
    And people... what they want is get in. FST tells how difficult or how easy is that. Nothing more, nothing less.
    The whole point is that the thread dictates how hard it should be, and is usually far off. The levels are misleading, in short. They don't do what they should do and they don't accomplished what they're supposed to. Why, anyway, is the difficulty of getting into a site important? How does that have any relevance whatsoever?
    Last edited by krunktastic; 02-05-2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    WTO's Avatar WhatTrackersOffer
    @krunktastic what you're asking for already exists What Trackers Offer [Content, Speed, Pre-time, etc...] It was created in response to threads like these which have been done a few times. The idea is to allow noobs and people who don't want to deal with the WTAW thread a chance to have something different.

The traders like the WTAW thread the way it is, and I don't think it's going to change. I suppose if enough people called for change it could happen, however as it stands now the traders have the numbers. Best thing to do is work to educate people about what really matters in a sharing community.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Trackers could be rated quite easily. You would have to put them in groups though. Alot of sites would easily tie with each other as far as ratings though due to some sites providing the same exact benefits, torrents, number of members, seeds, content, list goes on. The WIAW thread is helpful for information and knowledge of what sites exist but are bad for people with the wrong intentions. Thats the whole reason why some Tracker Staff, Admins, Mods, dislike the thread. It brings unwanted attention that most sites neither want nor need for whatever purpose. Honestly? I feel like most sites will find you if your mean't to be found. Unfortunately we have members who try to force their way in. Some get in, fuck up, then flame and false promote the site, trade accounts to get back in, blame others for their mistake, etc. It can go either way. Levels mean nothing just the content that the trackers provide and of course the community which is important as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WTO View Post
    Best thing to do is work to educate people about what really matters in a sharing community.
    Me and Artemis were just discussing this very issue. Best thing to do is try to stir members in the right direction. I try to but have accepted the fact that you can't help out all members and that traders will be allowed on this board as long as FST rules permit them too. Good point WTO.
    Last edited by grimms; 02-05-2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    ...the whole reason why some Tracker Staff, Admins, Mods, dislike the thread. It brings unwanted attention that most sites neither want nor need for whatever purpose.
    Thank you. This is pretty much my whole point.

I'm also really really surprised 10,000 more people haven't jumped on this thread. With all the complaining I see in other threads one would think that people would take opportunity to get things changed.

Edit: And thank you, WTO and everyone else, for the intelligent posts.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I think the major problem is 3 lines in that thread.

# THIS LIST SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LITERALLY. It's just to figure where each site stands RARITY-WISE. Use Rankings Between Brackets For [Content,Speed,Pre-Times]

No one reads this.

These sites are easy to obtain. Chances are you will get in these sites without trading.

You do not have to trade for lvl 2.

These sites are harder to obtain for various reasons, though fairly easy provided that you offer similar.

but you do for lvl 3.

so if you have to trade for lvl 3, then you have to for 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 as well.

so to me thats saying, if you do not trade something, then your not getting in.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    BANNED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    do what most other people here do and just ignore it, i looked at that thing when i first got here but since then i dont know which trackers are which levels off the top of my head and i dont really care. i just know which ones sound good to me based on what i hear from people i know and trust. i dont think the trackers that want to be anonymous will get off that list but maybe they can get the *'s in their name to keep a couple people in the dark. with or without it though people will find a tracker if they want to so its probably best to just ignore it.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    WTO's Avatar WhatTrackersOffer
    Quote Originally Posted by krunktastic View Post
    I'm also really really surprised 10,000 more people haven't jumped on this thread. With all the complaining I see in other threads one would think that people would take opportunity to get things changed.
    well that's the main problem. People like to bitch and talk big but when it comes to actually doing something it's a lot harder to find people to help. That's when you discover who actually means what they're saying.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    I don't know. Honestly? I think there would have to be enough reps, mods, and admins reporting the thread before any action were to be taken. It's highly unlikely that much could be done about it or will be done if that was not to happen. Unfortunately Krunk, we have to educate users early on to follow the right path (I know it's not are job or responsibility to do so, due to a REAL job, life, family, blah)I usually try to look out as much as i can and offer constructive advice about not trading, breaking tracker rules or wishes, but it's nearly impossible to do that with a real life, family, limited time. You got young kids on here that just don't understand or may not get it. I do think maybe restructuring the thread may help though. Cause like stoi pointed out some of the wording, gives you the impression that trading is the only way you'll ever have access to sites lvl4 and above which is untrue unless we are talking about U**.

well that's the main problem. People like to bitch and talk big but when it comes to actually doing something it's a lot harder to find people to help. That's when you discover who actually means what they're saying.
    I agree. Honestly though? Some people don't have the time to bother. Some people outright just don't care. Other members probably don't even know whats going on. Others don't want to be regarded or miscontrued as a problem cause they took the liberty to help some members by reporting certain issues or threads to a mod or adminstrator. Obviously if your a trader you'll be totally against the removal of the WIAW thread. We are at a stalemate here. I feel like talking about this is like a game of chess and unless your highly skilled opponent, none of us will know the outcome until it's all said and done with.
    Last edited by grimms; 02-05-2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    @krunktastic what you're asking for already exists What Trackers Offer [Content, Speed, Pre-time, etc...] It was created in response to threads like these which have been done a few times. The idea is to allow noobs and people who don't want to deal with the WTAW thread a chance to have something different.

The traders like the WTAW thread the way it is, and I don't think it's going to change. I suppose if enough people called for change it could happen, however as it stands now the traders have the numbers. Best thing to do is work to educate people about what really matters in a sharing community.
    Then titles should be switched. "Worth" should not be based on a subjective and meaningless "rarity" rating.

I'll try to use a metaphor:
    Let's call every tracker some type of restaurant, with each "rarity level" being a seating time or reservation availability. How easy it is to be seated has nothing to do with the quality of the food or the environment. Why wait 15 hours to be seated at Burger King (Uk-T) when you can get cheaper and tastier food across the street right now (BitMeTV or TvTorrents)?

Now let's say theres a restaurant guide at every street corner, and each guide has every restaurant ranked on a four star basis. But these guides have nothing to do with the quality of the environment (community), waiters (staff) or food (content). These guides simply "rate" restaurants by how hard they are to get seated in.

It doesn't make any sense in either situation. The WIAW thread is meaningless and superfluous and undermines the mentality of the bittorrent community.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Love your analogy krunk. Nice way to throw it out there in laymen terms.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast