Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Which linux distro do you run?

OlegL's Avatar Poster
    I used to run gentoo before switching to freebsd.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #102
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    ... which is not really a Linux distribution.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #103
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    ... which is not really a Linux distribution.
    You are right; freebsd is not a linux distro, but gentoo is a linux distro. I bought a new hard drive recently and plan to go back into the Linux world by installing a linux distro on it; I don't know yet what distro I will install... maybe fedora... So, I will have 3 OSes installed: linux, windows 7, and freebsd.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #104
    Ubuntu for desktop, ubuntu/centos/debian for servers.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #105
    inci's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    I use Ubuntu 10.04

6. Software & Hardware   -   #106
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Honestly i believe the only way to learn and enjoy linux is to use something harder than ubuntu . Ubuntu is very similar to windows , the difficulty is about the same .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #107
    WolverineDK's Avatar Poster
    I just updated to Peppermint Two recently, and at first I was a step into WTF land, and the reason was. that Pepppermint Two has Chrome installed, and I bloody hate Chrome. But thankfully it does come with firefox too. So I removed the Google monopoly from the computer and everything worked fine. I use peppermint cause it is a pretty damn awesome, and I like the LXDE window manager/"GUI".

8. Software & Hardware   -   #108
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by WolverineDK View Post
    I just updated to Peppermint Two recently, and at first I was a step into WTF land, and the reason was. that Pepppermint Two has Chrome installed, and I bloody hate Chrome. But thankfully it does come with firefox too. So I removed the Google monopoly from the computer and everything worked fine. I use peppermint cause it is a pretty damn awesome, and I like the LXDE window manager/"GUI".
    I got to try that one.

I like their "About Peppermint":
    While other operating systems are taking 10 minutes to load.

I've only used Ubuntu for a few years mostly because I don't have time to start from scratch and really learn Linux. I've installed a couple of Ubuntu servers at work just to run Request Tracker and a syslog server for our SonicWall and it's working so I'm not complaining.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #109
    WolverineDK's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    I got to try that one.

I like their "About Peppermint":
    While other operating systems are taking 10 minutes to load.

I've only used Ubuntu for a few years mostly because I don't have time to start from scratch and really learn Linux. I've installed a couple of Ubuntu servers at work just to run Request Tracker and a syslog server for our SonicWall and it's working so I'm not complaining.
    Peppermint is based on Lubuntu and has the features from Mint in it too. So it should be a pretty low ram and what not system if you keep it clean. If they had just stayed the fuck away from Chrome, yeah as people can guess. I am not a fan of Googles monopoly or their browser.But if people like Chrome, then good for them, but what irks me is that "back in the day" the real difference between Peppermint Ice and Peppermint OS was the main browser. So it sucks, they have pre-installed Chrome in Peppermint Two. But as I said, you can remove it with ease.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #110
    archlinux at home, ubuntu at work and os x on the go

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast