Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Which linux distro do you run?

Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post
    Honestly i believe the only way to learn and enjoy linux is to use something harder than ubuntu . Ubuntu is very similar to windows , the difficulty is about the same .
    Actually, Ubuntu is easier to set up than windows. I think that even my mom (she doesn't have a computer ... but knows where to press to start it ) could install it and use it without any problems

The thing is that not everyone wants to know every nook and cranny of their system. I for one am perfectly happy with using the features I need and if some are not available you can always find them online ... unless you are searching for a PS substitute on Linux in which case tough luck (and please don't say GIMP ... not even funny anymore) ... anyway, my point is that most people like to have everything set up without too much trouble. Ubuntu is perfect for such people. I am not an advanced user and I remember how painful it was (for me, I'm sure that some guru thinks it's as easy as 1,2,3) trying to install something on Suse. On Ubuntu you find what you want and you install it - that's all you have to do, no freaky windows permissions, or old Suse dependencies

Anyway, I know most Linux users won't agree, but I don't care

2. Software & Hardware   -   #112
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Any of the Linux users here use a window manager instead of a desktop environment? I'm thinking of installing Mint Fluxbox(or Fluxbox on something else) for my ancient computer as WM's are about as light as you can go, but they're pretty minimalistic.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #113
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    What are your specs Funkin?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #114
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    flaxbox is complex , i suggest going with openbox , a fresh install with only openbox

5. Software & Hardware   -   #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post
    flaxbox is complex
    You're right on that one. I could barely do something as simple as change the desktop wallpaper. Instead I'm using Crunchbang Statler on a disc, the Openbox version, and it's pretty freakin' incredible. They have it set up to where Openbox is basically just as functional as a DE. Really, really, nice.

I thought there might be a problem as I've never used Debian, but it's basically the samething as Ubuntu. Plus this distro is incredibly light and fast.

I think I might go with this one.iLOVENZB, my computer is about 7 years old. It has an AMD Athlon 2700+ and 512MB of RAM. So as you can imagine shopping around to see how light I could possibly go is in my best interest.Crunchbang has an XFCE version too, but I'm going to go with the Openbox one. Really functional and really fast.
    Last edited by Funkin'; 08-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #116
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Funkin' pretty much any distro that doesn't use KDE should be fine on that rig. I used to run Ubuntu (Gnome) on a Athlon 2500+, Integrated Gfx and 512MB RAM, although that distro is starting to become more and more hardware non-conscience now.

XUbuntu also uses XFCE. XUbuntu is really a starter distro - a distro that Windows users try before diving into the Linux world. Look's like you're happy with Crunchbag though?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #117
    Actually I am. I'm pretty impressed so far by Crunchbang Openbox.

And yeah, every distro I've tried so far has performed pretty well on my computer(even the unnecessarily bloated Ubuntu did pretty good for a while). A lot better than Windows ever did. But I'm pretty RAM conscience nowadays, so that's why I'm deciding to give window managers a try. The way that the #! devs has Openbox setup on the default install, it's just about as functional right out of the box as a desktop environment. They've done a really good job with it. The Mint devs need to so do something similar to Fluxbox when they release LMDE Fluxbox pretty soon.

Anyways though, soon I'll be getting a new computer so I won't have to worry anymore about having the absolute lightest distro or apps that are available. But for now I think I found what I was looking for. Hopefully.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #118
    Poster
    I use the latest version of Ubuntu from time to time.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #119
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Funkin, Ubuntu is branched from Debian and debian packages (.deb) can be installed by default onto an Ubuntu system using the package manager. The rise in Ubuntu distributions is based on their ease of use for new users, especially with communities like LinuxMint involved, while Debian and it's community are less friendly to new users. Debian is used in server installations, and has powerful server tools built in but is less user friendly.
    If you are looking for a lightweight distro for the meantime have a look at Peppermint OS2 http://peppermintos.com/ . This also is an Ubuntu distro, but uses the LXDE environment and is specifically designed to run on less than 512MB of RAM. You can download and run a LiveCD to check out what it offers. LXDE stands for Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment and the interface really is lightweight.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

10. Software & Hardware   -   #120
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    why don't people give archlinux a try ? it's not as hard as it looks like , and you don't need to be a pc guru to manage to install it

after installing it , it's probably the best distro you have tried , pacman is the fastest package manager i've used it , and the whole system is extremely fast

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast