Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Giganews a bit Wobbly,Upgrading?

Not read all of this but I have found propagation slow on text NG's recently after posting.
    Last edited by Windy72; 01-19-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

2. Newsgroups   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy72 View Post
    Not read all of this but I have found propagation slow on text NG's recently after posting.
    I really think it has something to do with their peering, which would directly affect the propagation.

I'd spend some time going further researching the problem (I ran a usenet server plant 1994-96), but I've given the Giganew folks my considered opinion, for what's it's worth. The return emails have been basically 'canned' responses.

As I pointed out in an earlier posting on this thread, I've seen this going on for around 8+ months, comes and goes. This time has been just about the worst. When I first tripped across it this time (several days ago), there were massive 'skips' on a binary group, that, as of today, those parts are STILL not on their server.

But are on every other server I have access to (3-5). I've started moving over to Astraweb, it'll probably take a couple weeks to really test and make up my final mind; the $15/month savings, if Astraweb has no probs (and so far, throughput is 3-4 times FASTER than Giganews, due to them being much closer 'internet wise' to my location) will enter in to it.
    Last edited by Beck38; 01-19-2009 at 01:14 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #33
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy72 View Post
    I really think it has something to do with their peering, which would directly affect the propagation.

I'd spend some time going further researching the problem (I ran a usenet server plant 1994-96), but I've given the Giganew folks my considered opinion, for what's it's worth. The return emails have been basically 'canned' responses.

As I pointed out in an earlier posting on this thread, I've seen this going on for around 8+ months, comes and goes. This time has been just about the worst. When I first tripped across it this time (several days ago), there were massive 'skips' on a binary group, that, as of today, those parts are STILL not on their server.

But are on every other server I have access to (3-5). I've started moving over to Astraweb, it'll probably take a couple weeks to really test and make up my final mind; the $15/month savings, if Astraweb has no probs (and so far, throughput is 3-4 times FASTER than Giganews, due to them being much closer 'internet wise' to my location) will enter in to it.
    I've had no problem in my few months of uploading and downloading, but were probably not using the same groups, and I'm switching to Astraweb, the price is too good to pass up, I might loose my retention for awhile, but I can live with that. The servers are the same distance for me, so I'll still be middle ground, but I much rather pay alot cheaper than more expensive, and SSL is free through Astraweb if I read it right.

4. Newsgroups   -   #34
    Hi to all,
    to cut the story short I need HELP with my nzb files. You are my last hope?
    I currently subscribe to giganews, i use newsbin and grabit. I repair with Quickpar and winrar. The problem i have is that when i have downloaded my files and try to extract in auto or manuall I get the winrar diag box saying my files are corrupt or in-complete. I run quickpar and it says missing blocks. My music files are know problem but when I download a game or film I constantly get the same error messages. I have tried differant newsgroups, newsreaders and a usenet but I still get the same faults. I amd
    not the best with pcs and i have spent days trying to figure out what's going wrong the kids have forgotten what i look like and the Mrs hates me! PLEASE HELP before I go mad! With Hope Wilk007

5. Newsgroups   -   #35
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    Quote Originally Posted by wilk007 View Post
    Hi to all,
    I currently subscribe to giganews, i use newsbin and grabit. I repair with Quickpar and winrar. The problem i have is that when i have downloaded my files and try to extract in auto or manuall I get the winrar diag box saying my files are corrupt or in-complete. I run quickpar and it says missing blocks. My music files are know problem but when I download a game or film I constantly get the same error messages. I have tried differant newsgroups, newsreaders and a usenet but I still get the same faults. I amd
    not the best with pcs and i have spent days trying to figure out what's going wrong the kids have forgotten what i look like and the Mrs hates me! PLEASE HELP before I go mad! With Hope Wilk007

you need to hit the repair button when its done reporting how many blocks are missing

6. Newsgroups   -   #36
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmaster420 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wilk007 View Post
    Hi to all,

you need to hit the repair button when its done reporting how many blocks are missing
    1) give me an estimation of how many blocks are missing, & how many there should be in total

2) give me an idea how old the posts you are downloading are ?
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

7. Newsgroups   -   #37
    im having the same problem..just started a couple of weeks ago...when i run it thru newsleecher repair n extract it shows up like ,size 14/648kb, 35/40 status broken, 37/40 status broken all the way down..only 1 was status healthy...please help me as im paying $14 a month.

8. Newsgroups   -   #38
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What were you downloading exactly? What is the release name?

yo

9. Newsgroups   -   #39
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Finish download the par sets, Newsleecher will pause them, un pasue them download and should repair itself.

In the repair part make sure you have, enabled, repair,extract, and monitor boxes all ticked....restart and then let it repair the files.
    [center]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234