Page 19 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021222969 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

n00b
    Cache (2005) un film du Michael Haneke. Anyone seen it? A pretty magnificent, well plotted film.

2. Movies & TV   -   #182
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows -- not as much fun as the first film but very nice ending final. + robert downey jr. acts brillant

3. Movies & TV   -   #183
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Nordwand (eng title: North Face)

A german film about climbing a mountain.

A fictionalized account of the next to last failed attempt before the north wall of the Eiger was successfully climbed all the way to the top. As it follows the ill-fated Hinterstoisser-Kurz team (and the two austrians tagging along) up the mountain it makes the rigours of mountaineering in 1936 very real to me.

It's by no means the best movie I've ever seen, but it's definitely a good movie. It's quality, basically.

Competent actors, wonderful scenery and a solid story made it a pleasure to watch.

4. Movies & TV   -   #184
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Sounds good.If you've never seen Touching the Void you like it as well.
    Also Hollywood has done a bunch of "climbing movies" but being Hollywood they don't realize the simple act of climbing some of these mountain is drama enough and have to add Stallone blowing stuff up or Eastwood killing everybody or a "feel good story that the whole family can share in".

I also came across this

a BBC documentary.Seems no matter how competent or prepared you are nothing is a certainty on the Eiger.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Movies & TV   -   #185
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    ...Touching the Void...
    I gewgled around a bit, and that does sound interesting. Getting it now.

Seems no matter how competent or prepared you are nothing is a certainty on the Eiger.
    That's one thing I got from the movie as well. If the weather goes really bad or an avalanche hits you, you might be entirely screwed no matter how good you are, basically.

I'm watching that documentary now. Only meant to have a quick look, but now I'm halfway through.

6. Movies & TV   -   #186
    As it was on TV I watched Serenity again.Funny how as time passes and you go on to the next thing you forgot how truly entertaining some shows were.
    So in place on a review.

7. Movies & TV   -   #187

8. Movies & TV   -   #188
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    As it was on TV I watched Serenity again.Funny how as time passes and you go on to the next thing you forgot how truly entertaining some shows were.
    So in place on a review.

How'd you like the movie Firefly?

They are 2 different kinds of beasts. I was much more taken with the show and thought the movie was just a little cool. Somebody I know thought the show was just OK, but will rave about the movie. That's like two different things isn't it?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Movies & TV   -   #189
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

How'd you like the movie Firefly?

They are 2 different kinds of beasts. I was much more taken with the show and thought the movie was just a little cool. Somebody I know thought the show was just OK, but will rave about the movie. That's like two different things isn't it?
    Obviously there was some changes made to make the movie more accessible to anyone not familiar with the series but except for the "harder" edge excluding a lot of the humour I found them more or less comparable.
    Anyway I think unlike a lot of other sci-fi the film wasn't a blatant attempt to start( or in this case restart) a franchise but an opportunity for closure, bringing most of the storylines to a satisfying conclusion.

Really though I thought the first 2/3 's were meh but the third act brilliantly exciting with every (remaining) character given their moment, each being appropriate to what Firefly fans expected of them.As a self contained movie though I can see why that might make it fail though.

Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Noice.

I've never actually watched Castle but

Last edited by IdolEyes787; 04-21-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Movies & TV   -   #190
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I've never actually watched Castle but

Those 6 minutes showed me I missed absolutely nothing having never watched it, Fillion or no Fillion.

Edit: Castle that is.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 04-21-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.