Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is what.cd an outdated torrent website?

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post

Yes but enough about your mental problems.

What I really want to know is how can there be a post-Rock when there's still Rock?
    Really I'd be more curious about how you're pushing 25000 posts here and still haven't bashed your head through a wall yet

As for your question, clearly it's short for poster-rock. An obvious mistake
    You hate me because you can't be me.

Anyway since you pretend to know stuff which btw is irritating and you should stop before someone makes you,please tell me how Mark Ronson is listed as the main performer on Uptown Funk and yet when Andy Williams sings Moon River nobody is wank enough credit Henry Mancini as the title artist?
    It's because he's a Jew,right?

No wonder They has a bad reputation.

PS sorry to be off topic on this fascinating discussion which I don't actually give a fuck about.

PPS I have bashed my head through several walls so shows what you know,erstwhile type.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 02-11-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    P2PDog's Avatar Beagle
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    Interesting,caaok. So you don't think there's anything irrational about seeding a torrent for 2-3+ years?
    There's nothing irrational about that at all. It takes less effort to keep seeding something than not. To not seed something you have to select it and choose to delete it. To keep seeding it you have to do nothing, not a single thing. It will just sit there and keep on seeding. No effort at all.

I have some torrents at what.cd that have been seeding for almost 7 years. They're music files so they don't take up much disk space and it takes absolutely zero effort to just keep on seeding them. I've got lots of stuff that's been seeding for a long time. I do nothing and it just sits there gaining me upload credit which I can use to download anything and everything that catches my interest. I then leave those downloads seeding which gains me even more upload credit which I can use to download new stuff. See how that works?

Perhaps if you would keep your stuff seeding for longer periods of time you wouldn't have to whine about how hard it is to gain upload.

I'm curious to know how is this system of having a torrent seeded till the end of time(because afterall that's what you're looking for a torrent to be ALWAYS seeded regardless of how old it is) a functional/practical one? You do realize that is the fundamental drawback of the bittorrent protocol that you're trying to mitigate right? You're trying to mimic a filehosting service where files will ALWAYS be available on a torrent site? Isn't that irrational?

Why not just keep the torrents instead of deleting them when there are no seeds and request for a reseed? KG does it and it works just fine? So lets say a user wants a very old torrent and if it doesn't have a seed then he could just request for one and that notification could go to all those who downloaded that file. Not only will this take away the burden of seeding every file forever but it would also test who's genuinely in it to help out this thirsty user.

I got a reseed request at BCG and I pulled out the file from my external and helped this guy out. See how genuine a sharer I am,caaok?
    Or, if they're small files, like most music for example, you could just keep them seeding in your torrent client and the person looking for them could just download them instead of having to request them.
    ONLY IN IT 4 TEH LULZ

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by P2PDog View Post
    There's nothing irrational about that at all. It takes less effort to keep seeding something than not. To not seed something you have to select it and choose to delete it. To keep seeding it you have to do nothing, not a single thing. It will just sit there and keep on seeding. No effort at all.
    I do tend to agree with this. As long as the file(s) are <150MB, they really aren't hurting anything. I've got a ton of audiobooks seeding at MAM, which can just keep going as far as I care. Like the site, so I'm supporting it that way.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    If you want to download the free stuff "without an effort", you should know that there are people who have worked hard to make that stuff "freely"available for you.

As ca_ok said for an 0day tracker it's different but can you imagine how much music albums are released every single day worldwide? far, far larger then any other type of media. It's impossible to build a music library that suffices your music desires without putting the effort What.cd motivates you to. Having said that it has a limit to it or the system will become so heavy that it will collapse on itself. Currently seeder/leechers ratio stands on 84. I obviously don't have any administrative knowledge to run a tracker but I hope staff knows what they are doing.

You're probably better of looking for stuff at other places. There are tons of blogs (which specializes in the genre's you listen to) and Scene does pretty much everything these days. Also, as someone has suggested, there is the mother of all trackers, the Rutracker. They won't force you to upload anything, still they have a mammoth music library probably because Russians are infected with some kinda upload motivating syndrome. rusak is Russian too. Last time I checked he was on 21 TB's not sure how he built that buffer in a matter of few years.

I have uploaded 736 torrents on Rutracker only because I like to upload and share music. 90% of which are perfect FLACS (most of them downloaded from What.cd) I don't seed a single torrent on there, I get a good bit of leechers to back up my uploads. I don't upload on What.cd unless I need buffer cuz my uploads are so rare music, whenever I upload, nobody downloads my stuff
    Last edited by whatcdfan; 02-12-2015 at 06:35 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    i consider sites like bib and what to be more like trade station. if you download something and in order to not poop on your ratio, you gotta upload something eventually.

i don't really like the concept but apparently it works. it somehow makes userbase upload more content. requiring users to upload in-order to advance in class apparently also does the job.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    If you want to download the free stuff "without an effort", you should know that there are people who have worked hard to make that stuff "freely"available for you.
    Musicians work hard learning their craft, measurably much harder than anybody of a torrent site and yet you don't seem to have the same sense of empathy when stealing their stuff.

You want to steal stuff,fine but don't have the affront to try and make me believe that "out of the goodness of anybody's heart" factors into the equation.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    The system without a doubt is proven to work. The evidence is the the fact that it is able to retain such a ridiculously high number of active torrents.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    Your views aren't utopic, they're irrational. The entire reason What.cd got to the place it is today is because of the difficulty seeding. It encourages both long term seeding and uploading every single random weird album possible, creating the largest music collection in a private tracker (Rutracker probably has more and it's probably a better site for someone with your ideals). Every single ratioless music tracker that's every been created has a terrible selection compared to What because there's nothing driving your average user to upload. This is fine for TV or movie sites because having a bot upload new scene rips suffices for content, but the music scene is much more selective in their releases.
    Playing the devil's advocate here. Given the effort needed to maintain a ratio at what.cd and considering the opportunity cost of that effort... wouldn't it be a more efficient use of your time to, you know, get a job (or work more at an existing one) and buy the music yourself?

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    considering the opportunity cost of that effort... wouldn't it be a more efficient use of your time to, you know, get a job
    "Why you not doctor yet?"- Rart's dad
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    P2PDog's Avatar Beagle
    It's an "effort" to maintain a ratio at what.cd? Really? Are you guys so out of shape that you get winded clicking on a mouse or occasionally typing on a keyboard?

Not to mention that what.cd's ratio requirements are so ridiculously low that for all but heavy downloaders it's practically ratio free.
    ONLY IN IT 4 TEH LULZ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast