Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Copyright

I recieved an email from my ISP stating that they had recieved a complaint from Universal Studio's about copyright infringment from my IP address. They stated that I was in breech of my contract with them and enclosed the letter from universal.

It basically had all the details of a movie I downloaded and when, my IP address and DNS name. It just said that they knew I was illegally sharing copyright movies and that although they have certain legal remidies available to them it beniefits everyone to settle this co-operativley - and they go on to say that they urge my internet provider to stop this infringment activity and to inform them of their action.

Does anyone have any advise?

I was using Bittorrent at the time. Should I stop using Bittorrent??

The letter doesn't look that threatening - can they acually do anything if they catch me again, or should I say are they likely to do anything?

Is my service provider aloud to give people like Universal any of my personal details??

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 01:08

The letter doesn't look that threatening - can they acually do anything if they catch me again, or should I say are they likely to do anything?

Is my service provider aloud to give people like Universal any of my personal details??
    Should I stop using Bittorrent??
    yes
    can they acually do anything if they catch me again, or should I say are they likely to do anything?
    yes they can sew u 4 using internet 4 illlegal activity's (kazaa is ok they probaly wont find out that u use kazaa)
    no, i dont think so

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    what internet provider do you use

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    BANNED
    other than telling them to shove the letter up their asses...i see nothing u can do

btw....i heard that Universal Studios had a computer with the movies so that ppl downloaded em so they knew who was leeching the movie...

tsk tsk

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by DWk@23 December 2003 - 02:11
    btw....i heard that Universal Studios had a computer with the movies so that ppl downloaded em so they knew who was leeching the movie...

tsk tsk
    Sounds like entrapment.

Doesn't that mean they're the ones putting the movie out on the internet? If so, you could argue that it was their own actions that caused you to download the file. If they didn't have it being broardcast across the world, you wouldn't have found it and downloaded it, right?

Failing that, say it was a friend or a cousin or a little brother who downloaded it without your knowledge. You have warned them, and have deleted it from your computer.

And no, I don't think they're allowed to get your details from your ISP.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    If it was me Id say fuck off and keep using Bit Torrent Logically ISP just wants your money they don't give a shit what you do on the net

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Originally posted by timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 01:08
    I recieved an email from my ISP stating that they had recieved a complaint from Universal Studio's about copyright infringment from my IP address. They stated that I was in breech of my contract with them and enclosed the letter from universal.

It basically had all the details of a movie I downloaded and when, my IP address and DNS name. It just said that they knew I was illegally sharing copyright movies and that although they have certain legal remidies available to them it beniefits everyone to settle this co-operativley - and they go on to say that they urge my internet provider to stop this infringment activity and to inform them of their action.

Does anyone have any advise?

whats your ISP? if its comcast i'm not suprised but if its something else tell me!!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Adster@23 December 2003 - 02:31
    If it was me Id say fuck off and keep using Bit Torrent Logically ISP just wants your money they don't give a shit what you do on the net
    Exactly. The ISP have to pass the complaint on but in all probability they don't care. The chances on you getting caught once were pretty slim, so its pretty unlikely you'll get caught again.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    yeah you proablly will only get caught once, but now always run peerguardian or at leat put the baad ips into your firewall. Just to give you piece of mind
    Also be carefull because they may also be watching you evencloser now, just dont mess with universals stuff the industry eems to be picky on certain types of movies and that may have been one.

Also it is my one year anniversary yeah

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i have a few qs:
    1. wat's ur isp?
    2. were u using any protection (not condoms). like ip-imported firewall or router or peerguardian
    3. wat movie were u dling?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast