Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ron Atkinson

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by leftism+23 April 2004 - 18:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (leftism &#064; 23 April 2004 - 18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

It is a derogatory term that can only be applied to white people. It&#39;s the equivalent of calling a black man "nigger". Google will bring you up to speed on it&#39;s origins.

<!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol

Where I come from a "cracker" is something that is really good. As in "great joke, that&#39;s a cracker". So I certainly wouldn&#39;t be offended by it. Presumably in your neck of the woods it has an entirely different meaning.
    So if a black guy came up to you and screamed "YOU FUCKING CRACKER" in your face would you think "wow that guy thinks I&#39;m &#39;something really good&#39;"? PLease.. don&#39;t be so facetious. You would automatically understand you were being insulted as it all comes down to the intention of the speaker.
    [/b][/quote]
    I agree in part.

Where i live, it means much as J&#39;Pol said..its good. I cant be offended by someone using that word on me.

However, if someone screamed "You are a fucking Genius&#33;&#33; " in my face, i&#39;d be pissed off.

Not because of the word, but due to the screaming in my face.

So yes, as to the part of that post that stated i&#39;d be pissed off by someone screaming something in my face... I agree.

That doesnt make it a racist comment. That takes intent.

People can use the "Nigger" word in jest; as an example, with no racist intent. Some "Blacks" use the word "Nigga" themselves, in the context they are using it, its a "joke" with no Racial slur involved... That word used by a "White", loses the joke element for many.

People; black, white or pink with blue polkadots, can find it offensive.

This is why both versions of the word are frowned upon in the forum. Not just because they are "Racist", that depends upon intent...but people still find the word itself distastful and offensive.

This is why Ron Atkinson had to go. I think few people that know him have called him a Racist, especially if you look at his record. However he is a "Role Model" and it was transmitted. His employers would therefore have to distance themselves... its much better all around that he resigned before he was pushed, he is obviously intelligent enough to have known this.

As to any "words" offending me personally, I dont think ive come across any.

It takes some type of self doubt about yourself, the word as applied is either True or False. If True, then there is no insult unless you are ashamed of that fact. If False, then its a lie and you can ignore it without dignifying it with a reaction.

I can do nothing about either situation, therefore i dont let it bother me.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Poster
    Arm said

"There is no racial slur you can make to a white man. Calling a white man a cracker wont offend anyone. "

Your "quote" was

"here is no racial slur you can make to a white man"

Your "quote" contained different words from those used by the original poster. This means that it was a mis-quote. That really is a matter of fact, I fail to see how you cannot understand that.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Is it the missing &#39;T"?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Originally posted by vidcc@23 April 2004 - 21:18
    I pity the fool talkin&#39; gibber-jabber about the T&#33;

Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Originally posted by hobbes+23 April 2004 - 12:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 23 April 2004 - 12:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@23 April 2004 - 21:18
    I pity the fool talkin&#39; gibber-jabber about the T&#33;

[/b][/quote]

darn that made me laugh

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26

(catchphrase)

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by Chevy@23 April 2004 - 21:28

(catchphrase)
    That&#39;s a Cracker

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Poster
    Indeed Bunny Boy,

Nice to see the old sense of humour.

It was in fac a mis-quote, the words used were not the same. Standard procedure for a mis-quote one would have thought

A matter of fac , not opinion.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol
    There is no racial slur you can make to a white man. Calling a white man a cracker wont offend anyone. "

Your "quote" was

"here is no racial slur you can make to a white man"

Your "quote" contained different words from those used by the original poster. This means that it was a mis-quote. That really is a matter of fact, I fail to see how you cannot understand that.
    What is the difference in meaning between

"There is no racial slur you can make to a white man"

and

"There is no racial slur you can make to a white man. Calling a white man a cracker wont offend anyone"

Answer: There is no difference in meaning.

According to your definition of a misquote if I write a 100 word post and you quote 10 words without changing the meaning then you are "misquoting" me.

My definition of a misquote is intentionally misrepresenting the meaning of the author via selective quoting.

Thats why you said "You knew perfectly well what the post meant.". Now you&#39;ve had to concede that I didn&#39;t misrepresent Arm&#39;s meaning you&#39;ve decided to change the meaning of the word "misquote" to suit your own troublemaking purposes.

PS

If you really meant the missing &#39;T&#39; ( and I don&#39;t think you did) I think you&#39;ll find the appropriate description is a "typo" not a "misquote". In case that is too complicated for you to work out, the distinction is that the former is accidental while the latter is intended.

I cant believe we&#39;ve had this many posts over a typo .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast