Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: A Canadian Apology

Originally posted by clocker+11 April 2003 - 22:24--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 11 April 2003 - 22:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Z@12 April 2003 - 04:19

she&#39;ll be behind bars soon.
    Wouldn&#39;t bet the farm on that one, bucko. [/b][/quote]
    no? whats the situations or her case?

actually, lets not even go there.

2. Lounge   -   #102
    Poster
    QUOTE (chloe_cc2002 @ 12 April 2003 - 03:50)

YOU (????) thought it was wonderful that people can be prosecuted for racial and other villification but I thought that was incredulous in a modern democracy. The law that says that you can&#39;t insult a member of the govt. (re: obscenity laws) would be thrown out by the first amendment. [QUOTE]

Perhaps I missed something here.
    What the HELL are you talking about?

He was talking to you and the forum but talking to or at me too if that makes sense. I should have tried to distinguish that, but I am having trouble keeping up with him as he has been talking now continuously for about 45 mins. (and still is as I type this post, so forgive me if I make some egregious errors)

In Australia we have anti villification laws against villification for race, sex, national origin etc....eg the Police call the Aborigines &#39;coons&#39;...basically you could get a hefty fine for using the &#39;n&#39; word as in the US by way of analogy.

More insidiously police in Australia can arrest you for calling them a "pig". The new age breed of policemen here infringe the anti villification laws all the time. It is just overlooked.

As for the obscenity laws there was until recently an archaic law that was litigated that allowed persons to be arrested for any type of speech that was seen to be offensive politically in public because as the legislators said in the parliamentary debates to paraphrase them "is not fit to be discussed even within the home". (as quoted by the Court)

HOw did we get onto this topic from Canadian apologies?

3. Lounge   -   #103
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Haven&#39;t the faintest idea.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Lounge   -   #104
    Chloe_cc2002- I fear you may develop carpal tunnel syndrome should you continue to transcribe these rants from "your informant".
    Please take care.

(Or is this some kind of "Three Faces of Eve" weirdness? In which case I&#39;m WAY out of my league.)

5. Lounge   -   #105
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Reminds me never to post something amusing again. -_-

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. Lounge   -   #106
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@12 April 2003 - 04:57
    Reminds me never to post something amusing again. -_-

We were actually doing quite well I thought.

Then suddenly things took a decidedly David Lynchian turn...

7. Lounge   -   #107
    Poster
    No, not some whacky kind of &#39;three faces of eve&#39; stuff, although the allegation has been put to me. That is another story and one which should remain untold.

I happen to have as much faith in Psycho-therapists/Psychiatrists as I do phrenologists, and would rather consult the Australian Psychics Association and/or the Viennese Palmistry Association for any diagnosis or probing of my psyche.

Perhaps I have also read too much Focault and Szass to see how it can be used as form of social hygiene rather than mental "hygiene".

BTW why do yanks still use the word "hygiene" in their legislation relating to mental health?? Hygiene used to mean just general health, it has really lost it&#39;s traditional meaning, just as intercourse has as in social "intercourse" for eg. That is a phrase that is often not used anymore.

Mental hygiene sounds soooooo sanitary too, which then leads me to think of sanitariums and I&#39;m not talking about cereal companies either....(Sanitariums is a purely Australian owned cereal company btw).

Although, I could be onto something here. Who makes fruit loops? Kelloggs...Perhaps there is some Government plot as somebody pointed out.

No, on a more serious note, I got my psychiatric qualifications from the bottom of a box of cereal and could tell you all I know about mental health/hygiene/illness by scratching it on the back of a postage stamp.

I have often identified myself as a graduate of the Kelloggs Foundation for the advancement of psychiatric learning in paying tribute to those esteemed members of the fraternity that I would care to forget. They have big fat cheque books and their own agendas. The forensic species of Psychiatrist is the most dangerous of all species and they can pronounce you as suffering from Multiple personality disorder (now known as dissociative identity disorder) based on their observations and a stroke of the pen.

Glad I got that off my chest for the 200th time.

I swear to you that there is another half/better half who is of American nationality and that I faithfully and diligently transcribed every word he said.

8. Lounge   -   #108
    Originally posted by chloe_cc2002@12 April 2003 - 05:14

I swear to you that there is another half/better half who is of American nationality and that I faithfully and diligently transcribed every word he said.
    Many of us Americans have learned to type for ourselves.

9. Lounge   -   #109
    Poster
    He likes talking better than typing so I do the listening and the typing for him where he feels the need to comment. He prefers computer games, and plays the same ones over and over eg Stars, Baldurs Gate, Theme Hospital, Magic and Mayhem.

Perhaps therein lies the connection between the privations suffered in early childhood in the lack of access to games and puzzles on Canadian cereal boxes (on a short visit to Canada from Seattle) and what appears to be a small amount of overcompensation in the time spent playing the said computer games.

10. Lounge   -   #110
    Originally posted by chloe_cc2002@11 April 2003 - 23:30
    He likes talking better than typing so I do the listening and the typing for him where he feels the need to comment. He prefers computer games, and plays the same ones over and over eg Stars, Baldurs Gate, Theme Hospital, Magic and Mayhem.

Perhaps therein lies the connection between the privations suffered in early childhood in the lack of access to games and puzzles on Canadian cereal boxes (on a short visit to Canada from Seattle) and what appears to be a small amount of overcompensation in the time spent playing the said computer games.
    u live in seattle? i used to. i live in toronto now.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast