Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Election America!

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    How so?

Sorry, MN.

Got to thinking about all the permutations of being the #1 economy in the world, and why everything hinges on us, and how our vulnerabilities are, in a sense, our strengths, and totally lost track of what I was about.

Anyway, it's like that.

In short form, kind of a mutually-assured destruction scenario for anyone to call in the note, so to speak.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    That's why you shat a brick when various countries decided they might want to trade oil in euros.

Iraq I believe was one of them, oh and didn't Iran also talk about it.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    That's why you shat a brick when various countries decided they might want to trade oil in euros.

Iraq I believe was one of them, oh and didn't Iran also talk about it.
    Did it happen?

Check and mate.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    No, you invaded or threatened the other countries who talked about doing it. In the playground that would be described as bullying. You must be so proud.

However, when Europe decides that, yes we will trade the Euro for oil, with the major producers, what do you have left to offer. The only thing you export which other countries need is the $US. Where will you be when they don't need it. A one commodity economy is a very dangerous way to go.

I'll give you "check", no problem. However "mate", I think not.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    My point stands.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    I'll give you check, but not checkmate.

That's the thing with the younger chessist. They see check as an end in itself and often fail to see the long game.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    I've gotten beyond chess as a metaphor for political machinations.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I found it quite funny that Steele and Ehrlich had "election guides" handed out in my area depicting themselves as Democrats with the backing of Kweisi Mfume and other black Democratic leaders.

They both lost. I guess folks weren't fooled.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 11-17-2006 at 11:02 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #109
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I've gotten beyond chess as a metaphor for political machinations.
    Busy couple of days you had there then.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #110
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    How so?

Sorry, MN.

Got to thinking about all the permutations of being the #1 economy in the world, and why everything hinges on us, and how our vulnerabilities are, in a sense, our strengths, and totally lost track of what I was about.

Anyway, it's like that.

In short form, kind of a mutually-assured destruction scenario for anyone to call in the note, so to speak.

Yup if you are going to go down the deficit route it is best to do it big style - that way those owed have an interest in keeping the wheels on the cart.

However, that suggests a degree of intelligent intervention that I am not convinced the Bush administration actually had in arriving at this point. So it might be better to view it as merely fortutitous. That said the idea that the Chinese much less the EU are looking for the US stumble is a little wide of the mark imho. In our global village everybody is far too busy selling stuff to each other to worry overly about dogma.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast