Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: The catch-all movie/TV comment thread .

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Meet me in the woods, Idol...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Been catching up on some "must see TV" lately.
    Gobbled up all five seasons of The Wire, which might in fact be the best series ever.
    Justified is consistently entertaining.

From Denmark (and Sweden), The Killing and The Bridge are both fascinating and feature two of the most original female leads I can recall.

Haven't seen too many movies (few interest me lately), the latest being God Bless America, which starts off well and then just gets stupid (which may be ironically intentional).

Wilfred returns next month, so there's that to look forward to and Breaking Bad starts again soon thereafter.

It's hard work trying to drown out the political noise.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    i bought a couple Logitech Revue units after the prices dropped below $100. If you can find one refurbished, they make a heck of a media player- that is, with the exception of playing media directly (you need to set up a media server for that. I use a WD media player and the two work very nicely together).

Anyway, one of the apps available for Google TV is called Redux. You can watch the same shows on your PC, but this app is meant to be sort of a TV replacement. It has "channels" that have various content selected by a channel "editor" of sorts. A couple of the clips I felt had substantial merit- especially being low or no budget projects. IMO, there are some extremely talented individuals/small groups out there, and they are capable of producing shorts like these:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/wat...d-by-wes-ball/

Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Description
    A modern take on the story of Little Red Riding Hood. I this film, Red finds empowerment and takes matters into her own hands. The wolf is clearly unprepared for this little girl!
    Spoiler: Show

Anyway, a couple of interesting shorts I found. Enjoy. Or something else.
    This should really go in the hardware section (maybe) but you seem to have an ever increasing selection of boxes scattered around the landscape in your attempts to NOT have a mediacenter PC. So how is that working out for you? My only screw-up so far is I chose a motherboard with two teensy little oversights, one being a lack of SATA ports (4) which after I put in a SATA BD-Rom left me with little wiggle room. So sadly I have to upgrade . A nice B75 chipset board with six SATA ports an Ivybridge i5 3450 and 8G DDR3 1333 RAM should solve that little hiccup, but I digress, your box extravaganza. WTF are you doing?

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    This should really go in the hardware section (maybe) but you seem to have an ever increasing selection of boxes scattered around the landscape in your attempts to NOT have a mediacenter PC. So how is that working out for you? My only screw-up so far is I chose a motherboard with two teensy little oversights, one being a lack of SATA ports (4) which after I put in a SATA BD-Rom left me with little wiggle room. So sadly I have to upgrade . A nice B75 chipset board with six SATA ports an Ivybridge i5 3450 and 8G DDR3 1333 RAM should solve that little hiccup, but I digress, your box extravaganza. WTF are you doing?
    My thoughts were a bit rambled in that post. Mainly, I meant to point out the clips (which I like quite a bit), but also mentioned how I came across them. The Revue box actually contains an Atom processor, and has a slick Bluetooth keyboard. I do have a HTPC setup in the bedroom. Honestly, I prefer the boxes for their ease of use and the fact that they either produce little noise (the Revue has a fan), or no noise. And never require wake-up.

Spoiler: Show

I do apologize for mixing the topics. This being a "catch all" for TV/Movies, I should have kept the post focused on the clips themselves.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    Rather than go totally off the reservation I will create a fred in the hardware section to discuss this. Since it will involve Linux & XBMC expect the sounds of mary clomping towards the party, but the main theme will be the word 'cheap'.
    Last edited by Artemis; 05-23-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: how about you put in ALL the words spastic

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Been catching up on some "must see TV" lately.
    Gobbled up all five seasons of The Wire, which might in fact be the best series ever.
    Justified is consistently entertaining.

From Denmark (and Sweden), The Killing and The Bridge are both fascinating and feature two of the most original female leads I can recall.

Haven't seen too many movies (few interest me lately), the latest being God Bless America, which starts off well and then just gets stupid (which may be ironically intentional).

Wilfred returns next month, so there's that to look forward to and Breaking Bad starts again soon thereafter.

It's hard work trying to drown out the political noise.
    129186142899025119.jpg
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Finally got around to Mad Men. I just hadn't been bored enough to watch it before. The premise and slickness of the trailers being ample repellent. After having watched every fucking thing in the entire fucking universe, I settled in recently to Mad Men, reluctantly acknowledging its persistent appeal.

Kinda immediately arresting, but dipping throughout, it's rich, retrospective writing and fantastic character play. Some proper noice burds, too. I know I'm late in coming to it, still I don't hang on it. Don Draper gets too much sex and should pound the fuck outta Betty's vagina until she recognises the error of her personal geography, and solution to her unbecoming vastness, in my humble.

Every scene is thick with reference, which I do flit to, but when there's not a flicker of a chance of a robot invasion, knowing history to an extent, these people, I'm almost sure, won't save the universe with their advertising grease slicks.Which is a shame, cos I'd really dig on the irony of an ad exec saving the universe. Perhaps I'll write it.

No, wait.
    Last edited by chalice; 05-23-2012 at 09:16 PM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Ah, good to know that nothing has changed here.
    Four pages of shit from some asshat making his post count bones.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Who are you calling an asshat?
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    Who are you calling an asshat?
    He obviously has you pegged there buddy.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast