PDA

View Full Version : Lost AC adapter for Linksys BEFSR41

Shiranai_Baka
08-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Does anyone know if generic adapters work on the linksys routers? LIke I can just go to radioshack and get one?

Spicker
08-24-2005, 03:57 PM
whats radioshack? :01: :lol:

if u go to TheSource be prepared to get ripped off...

Virtualbody1234
08-24-2005, 05:07 PM
You need one with an output of 9V. AC, 1000 mA.

Shiranai_Baka
08-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Ty VB

harrycary
08-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Don't know for sure what voltage/amperage your router requires but it will be on notated on the router itself. (this notation is required of all electronics made for sale in the US at least)

You can probably use any available universal-style AC adapter. Just be sure it's rated at or below the amperage you need and be sure to set the polarity correctly(+ vs -).

btw, 1000 milliamps(mA) = 1 Amp.

Virtualbody1234
08-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Don't know for sure what voltage/amperage your router requires but it will be on notated on the router itself. (this notation is required of all electronics made for sale in the US at least)

You can probably use any available universal-style AC adapter. Just be sure it's rated at or below the amperage you need and be sure to set the polarity correctly(+ vs -).

btw, 1000 milliamps(mA) = 1 Amp.
That would be better if you said "It should be at or above the amperage you need".

Shiranai_Baka
08-24-2005, 11:45 PM
I thought higher would.. cause like a meltdown O.o

peat moss
08-25-2005, 12:22 AM
I'd take it to Radio Shack and let them help ,or go online to check the name or model number.

Nothing worse than moving and not marking what each belongs to . You end up with 20 of them phone ,printer , hub ................... :D

Virtualbody1234
08-25-2005, 01:47 AM
I thought higher would.. cause like a meltdown O.o
That would be the case with higher voltage, not amperage.

Shiranai_Baka
08-25-2005, 02:00 AM
I'd take it to Radio Shack and let them help ,or go online to check the name or model number.

Nothing worse than moving and not marking what each belongs to . You end up with 20 of them phone ,printer , hub ................... :D

I took it to a local radioshack and they said they were sold out. I went to some other stores and they were sold out too. I managed to buy one but the plug is kind of loose so I gotta find some duct tape and tape the plug tight Lol. Thanks for all the help.

peat moss
08-25-2005, 02:15 AM

I took it to a local radioshack and they said they were sold out. I went to some other stores and they were sold out too. I managed to buy one but the plug is kind of loose so I gotta find some duct tape and tape the plug tight Lol. Thanks for all the help.

Ah ! Another use for the old Duck tape ! :lol: You been watching Red Green ?

I have to post a link : :)

http://www.redgreen.com/

harrycary
08-26-2005, 12:16 AM

Absolutely not true.

Amperage is a measure of the amount of electrical current.

2 examples:

1. Taser guns. While they put out thousands of volts of current, the amperage is relatively low, making it a non-lethal weapon. If that same taser gun put out a higher amperage of current, than it would become lethal.

2. Static electricity can be thousands of volts. But, since the amperage is so small, it's truly harmless(as we all know).

Compare it to water flowing through a hose. The temperature of the water represents votage. The amount of water represents amperage. A little splash of boiling water won't hurt you. A lot of boiling water can definitely do some damage.

Hence the old saying..."It's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps"

peat moss
08-26-2005, 12:22 AM

Absolutely not true.

Amperage is a measure of the amount of electrical current.

2 examples:

1. Taser guns. While they put out thousands of volts of current, the amperage is relatively low, making it a non-lethal weapon. If that same taser gun put out a higher amperage of current, than it would become lethal.

2. Static electricity can be thousands of volts. But, since the amperage is so small, it's truly harmless(as we all know).

Compare it to water flowing through a hose. The temperature of the water represents votage. The amount of water represents amperage. A little splash of boiling water won't hurt you. A lot of boiling water can definitely do some damage.

Hence the old saying..."It's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps"

Is that not Ohm's Law ? :)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmlaw.html

Virtualbody1234
08-26-2005, 02:14 AM
You're wrong on this one. High voltage may not kill you if the amperage is low but a high voltage will destroy sensitive electronics. That's why a surge surpressor is to protect against spikes in voltage (not amperage).

You say static electricity won't kill you but it sure will kill memory, CPUs or other sensitive electronics.

With a power adaptor (transformer) the amperage rating is the maximum load that the coil in the transformer can take without overheating. So the higher rating just means that it can maintain the voltage. It doesn't mean more power is going into the device.

Increasing the voltage will cause overload of the device being powered.
Providing enough or more than enough amperage will only provide a stable power under load.

Why do you think we all say that a higher rating for a power supply is better?

It is the load that the device draws from. If there isn't enough there then you get a voltage drop and unstable performance.

Anyway. I know i'm right :snooty:

Duffman
08-26-2005, 05:12 AM
Oh be fucking careful, I got this router with ac adapter, it needed a 1amp 12v one, so I looked around in all the old electronics and found one. The little plug on the end was too small. And if you just buy the end, at radioshack, it was 5 bucks, and the had the polarity thing, to tell which was + and - perpendicular to the prongs so that without there 25 dollar adapter you couldn't tell which was which. Blew my router up.

harrycary
08-27-2005, 06:57 PM
With a power adaptor (transformer) the amperage rating is the maximum load that the coil in the transformer can take without overheating.

That is truly ridiculous. The voltage & amperage rating of an AC adapter is its rated output. It has nothing to do with overheating. It merely states what it is capable of outputing. Do you understand? Likewise, the electrical device you're powering will have a similarly rated input. (btw, Alternating Current and Direct Current are measured in the same way)

Hell, I wasn't going to respond to your post but since you're incorrect, what you're stating can cause people plenty of problems.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just stating facts I've learned in school and have applied in real life. (my previous job was with the 2nd largest electrical distributor in the US where I worked on bids for large electrical projects like arenas, stadiums and other commercial applications)

peat moss, Ohms are a measure of resistance and does not apply in this situation.

Mods, now that Duffman has solved his dilemma, please do us all a favor and close this thread.

regards.

Virtualbody1234
08-27-2005, 11:56 PM
@Harrycary. Why close the thread? Are you concerned that someone else might tell you that you're wrong?

And btw the thread is to help Shiranai_Baka not Duffman.

@The other people reading this thread, if you need a power adaptor then get one that has the same voltage and amperage as specified. That's always the best choice.

Shiranai_Baka
08-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Lol I don't mind this. Besides, this is on topic. I would like to know if higher or lower is better. (not saying anyone is wrong)

Virtualbody1234
08-28-2005, 03:28 AM
My point is that you should have the same voltage and the same or higher amperage adaptor.

harrycary is saying the same voltage and the same or lower amperage.

Isn't that what the disagreement is about?

A power adaptor is similar to a power supply. I seems easy to understand that a higher rated power supply is better.

I certainly wouldn't want to run my PC with an underpowered power supply.

I would also like to invite others to share their opinion about this.

Duffman
08-28-2005, 04:13 AM
And my point was be careful you can fuck it up.

harrycary
08-28-2005, 03:19 PM
And my point was be careful you can fuck it up.

Exactly.

What do you think a fuse or circuit breaker is there for?

To protect the load from getting too much current. (load=fan, tv, space heater, lights, a router, etc)

And how are fuses and circuit breakers rated? In amperes.

Exceed that amperage rating, the fuse blows, the breaker opens, current is cutoff thus protecting the load from further damage or overheating [and possibly starting a fire].

The router can be damaged by too many ampers of electrical current. (determined by the electrical engineers' design of the circuit including wiring, components' specs, etc.)

That's why my statements previously posted stand true.

I just can't see how this isn't easily understood.

You increase your amperes of current and you run the risk of damaging electrical components. And, given the sensitivity and low amperage power requirements of modern day electronics, this can be mighty important.

This is such fundamental laws of physics I'm literally astounded.

Virtualbody1234
08-28-2005, 05:01 PM
At a constant 9v, the amperage draw is determined by the load. In this case the load is the router and thus another constant. That means that the amperage draw will remain the same even if the rating of the power adaptor is higher.

The power rating is not what it puts out but a maximum that it can provide. You don't reach that maximum if there is only a small load.

lynx
08-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Of course, VB is quite correct.

The current rating of a power adapter is the maximum it can supply. If the load requires more current than that rating, it is said to be overloaded, which will cause voltage drop, excessive heating and possibly damage to the power adapter.

Harrycary, perhaps you should study a little more fundamental physics, in particular the work of Georg Simon Ohm and Joseph Henry.

harrycary
08-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Agreed.

On that point only, sadly it's not related to the initial posted question.

You still wouldn't want to exceed the requirements set forth by the engineers that designed the circuitry of the router in question. And I'm not speaking of the AC adapters' rated output. This fact I thought was understood from my very first post.

To think otherwise is just inane and goes completely against those very laws of physics and electrical properties I've posted. I thought providing simple examples/analogies would help you see that point.

May I suggest a Google search on the topic or a visit to Howstuffworks.com. Maybe then you'll find a better explanation as to why your thoughts on amperes and why exceeding a loads' design specs is so wrong as to be laughable. (not to mention dangerous)

Since you stated that this is okay to do in your earlier post I can't help but deduce that you're not fully understanding the laws of physics and electrical properties.

But you know, I'm tired of this. This for me, has become an exercise in futility. I just don't want other readers heeding your advice and end up overloading a piece of equipment with subsequent failure of said equipment.

Virtualbody1234
08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
May I suggest a Google search on the topic or a visit to Howstuffworks.com. Maybe then you'll find a better explanation as to why your thoughts on amperes and why exceeding a loads' design specs is so wrong as to be laughable. (not to mention dangerous)

Exactly my point, harrycary. The load is the key point here. You now seem to get the idea that exceeding the intended load is so wrong.

:lol: You just proved my point that you don't want to overload an under rated power adaptor. :lol:

harrycary
08-29-2005, 03:50 PM
You idiot, I haven't been taking about the load requirements of the AC adapter but the load requirements of the router itself. You simply do not want to exceed that spec for fear of damaging it.

If it states on the router, 120v 1200mA, then you don't want to provide more than 120 volts or more than 1200mA.

Why can't you understand this simple, oh so simple explanation?

Regardless if you understand what voltage or amperage means. More is bad. Simple as that in this case.

When I made my first post, it had nothing to do with overloading an AC adapter. In fact, that doesn't make any sense at all in the context of the original question posted.

Alas, I believe you'll still think your right so I guess I'll await your obvious and probably predictable reply.

lynx
08-30-2005, 12:37 AM
If the load requires a certain amount of current at a certain voltage, then as long as the power adapter supplies the required voltage and is capable supplying at least the required current it is impossible for the load to take more current.

If the adapter is capable of supplying twice as much current, the load will still only draw its stated requirement, the adapter cannot push more current through the load. However, the voltage and current are likely to be much more stable.

Consider a district power transformer, that is simply a very big power adapter. It supplies 120V (in USA) but it also supplies thousands of amps. If your scenario was correct then those thousands of amps would flow into the first device plugged into a socket. Does that happen? I don't think so.

Duffman
08-31-2005, 02:28 AM
Harry, it seems your wrong, or at least someone is confused, no need to act like a dick.

harrycary
09-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Wow, I am truly astounded at your ignorance Virtualbody1234.

AC current is measured in wattage. Not ampers.

And your thoughts on AC distribution couldn't be more wrong. Your local power company transmits thousand of volts of AC current. Through a series of substations and step-down transformers it is then dropped to approximately 120 volts as it enters the home.

But AC current isn't at issue here. DC current is. (and let me correct my last post, it should read 12V DC output and not 120)

DC current is measured in ampers. More ampers then a device is engineered for will damage it. There is no argument here.

But I'm tired of electrical 101. Believe what you want.

regards,

Virtualbody1234
09-02-2005, 03:13 AM
You need one with an output of 9V. AC, 1000 mA.
Who said anything about DC current?

And harrycary. You should be sure of what you're talking about before calling people names. I have been respectful toward you thoughout this thread and you keep calling me stupid and ignorant. Please look into learning manners as well as the subject at hand.

I see that lynx agrees with me (and he knows his stuff) and no one agrees with you. I figure that electrical devices work the same in the UK as in Canada. Things must just work differently in Omaha. :dry:

Also take note that I didn't reply to your last post (you predicted I would) in the hopes that you would drop this already.