PDA

View Full Version : !idea!360

despikable
12-04-2005, 11:12 PM
since according to ign the x360 is more powerful than 95% of computers out now. It got me thinking is there anyways to strip it down and convert it into a pc( well its basically a pc but i mean a standard pc with an OS) I was just wondering because the system is cheap it migh be a good alternative plus im curious.

lightshow
12-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Yes good call. Now just figure out how to break the hardware encryption and the several protection checks and maybe some digital signatures too.

But luckily some of the best are already on the job (though not bunnie yet) Check http://www.free60.org/wiki/Main_Page

For their task of putting a linux OS on the system

despikable
12-04-2005, 11:49 PM
haha thats good to hear it would be cool to et linux on it.

3RA1N1AC
12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
since according to ign the x360 is more powerful than 95% of computers out now.
take the hype with a grain of salt. they should have qualified that as "faster than most PCs at doing certain types of applications." there is no computer that can run every single type of program super-fast, and you can make any computer perform like a fat pile of ass just by figuring out what types of programs it isn't good at running.

lightshow
12-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Also, a Pc game is developed to preform at OS level then application level then graphics level and is all dependent on the various configurations of machines, so comparing let's say Call of Duty 2 to PC Call of Duty 2 is like apples to oranges, they are made much much differently.

Just as another thing to think about.

bigdawgfoxx
12-06-2005, 02:37 AM
What are the specs on those things exactly?

SingaBoiy
12-06-2005, 10:20 AM
What are the specs on those things exactly?
The basics:

Xbox 360 console: 512 MB of shared system and video RAM; a custom, symmetrical, three-core CPU with each core running at 3.2Ghz; and a custom-built ATI Graphics processor with unified shader technology.

Wolfmight
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
I need more specs on that ATI card before my input on this topic.
3 core sounds like 9.6ghz, but it's probably like combining two nvidia graphics cards using SLI. It probably runs around 6.4ghz in this case, because the other two only give a .5 increase. .5 of 3.2ghz is 1.6, so you multiply that by 2 and get 3.2, then add that to the originally stated speed of 3.2, giving 6.4ghz. :shifty:

For the lazy ones, here's a little chart:
3 3.2ghz cores= 3.2ghz+1.6ghz+1.6ghz=6.4ghz
_______________________^______^
extra CPU cores don't run at full speed.

SingaBoiy
12-07-2005, 02:54 AM
3 core sounds like 9.6ghz, but it's probably like combining two nvidia graphics cards using SLI. It probably runs around 6.4ghz in this case, because the other two only give a .5 increase. .5 of 3.2ghz is 1.6, so you multiply that by 2 and get 3.2, then add that to the originally stated speed of 3.2, giving 6.4ghz. :shifty:

Im sure the other 2 can run at 3.2 or they would be getting heat from saying it can when it cant.

But you dont combine them to make a 9.6 core clock speed. Each one is designated to do a certain task(s)

Virtualbody1234
12-07-2005, 03:12 AM

Your logic makes my brain hurt! :slap:

bigdawgfoxx
12-07-2005, 03:20 AM
ok they can use this badass cpu and sell the whole console for 400 bucks..how do they do that? I mean if the cpu were available on the market it would be like 3 grand..god

lightshow
12-07-2005, 11:44 PM
This is microsoft were are speaking of. And they are ordering big mass quantities. They are entitled to what we (people who buy just one at a time) would see as a spectacular discount.

Plus microsoft being who they are have connections everywhere not to mention probably own or have invested in production facilities of such hardware.

3RA1N1AC
12-07-2005, 11:56 PM
quantity is a big factor, but even though they still take a loss (prolly $100-$150?) on the sale of each console... their goal isn't to profit from the hardware, but to profit from the software. once you have the machine, you're prolly going to buy games to play on it, accessories, maybe an xbox live subscription...

basically the same strategy that a lot of other electronic media companies are using -- like telephone companies (free phones) and cable/satellite (free dishes and receivers). they take a loss on the hardware 'cause you're going to pay for service/content to use the hardware with.