PDA

View Full Version : why, australia? why?

3RA1N1AC
12-13-2005, 05:23 AM
first they keep sending drug-smugglers into asian countries and making a big controversy out of it when these smugglers are caught and subject to the laws & punishments of those countries. very arrogant stuff, this attitude of "oh fuck you and your country's laws, now send 'em back home with a slap on the wrist you savages." embarrassing to the aussie gov't too, when the prime minister makes statements like this (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200508/s1444634.htm) yet he's forced by public sentiment to backpeddle & make pleas for mercy on behalf of drug-smugglers.

perhaps i'm naive, but i favor the idea that people should obey the laws of whatever land they go to, and accept the consequences of breaking 'em... or else do not go there. and quit looking down upon the third world as a mere annex of the west (+better weather, +easier drugs, +easier sex) and crying foul ("corrupt asian courts") when tourists get caught breaking the laws and don't receive lighter punishments than the locals do.

so, there's that. and there's this: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/11/1134235951620.html

racist riots??? wtf, australia. i understand that every country in the world is not necessarily as progressive and peaceful as every other country, we all go at a different pace and in different directions. still, as relatively unenlightened as america supposedly is at the current moment (even if we're only to compare with other western, first world, english-speaking countries)... at least it's been a little while since we've had riots against racial minorities. :o

Cheese
12-13-2005, 10:38 AM
so, there's that. and there's this: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/11/1134235951620.html

racist riots??? wtf, australia. i understand that every country in the world is not necessarily as progressive and peaceful as every other country, we all go at a different pace and in different directions. still, as relatively unenlightened as america supposedly is at the current moment (even if we're only to compare with other western, first world, english-speaking countries)... at least it's been a little while since we've had riots against racial minorities. :o
Just like Romper Stomper...well, actually in that film the racist Aussies get a kicking.

So, Australia is a bit backwards. Isn't Russell Crowe their leader? No wonder they're all mental.

Barbarossa
12-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Isn't it about this time of year they all go round setting fire to the bush? :blink:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-13-2005, 02:36 PM
I thought the film footage of a fat guy holding a beer yelling "this is our country, you are not wanted here, get the hell out!" was rather funny. He seemed to be way to light skinned to be an aboriginal, looked white to me.

Busyman
12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
first they keep sending drug-smugglers into asian countries and making a big controversy out of it when these smugglers are caught and subject to the laws & punishments of those countries. very arrogant stuff, this attitude of "oh fuck you and your country's laws, now send 'em back home with a slap on the wrist you savages." embarrassing to the aussie gov't too, when the prime minister makes statements like this (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200508/s1444634.htm) yet he's forced by public sentiment to backpeddle & make pleas for mercy on behalf of drug-smugglers.

perhaps i'm naive, but i favor the idea that people should obey the laws of whatever land they go to, and accept the consequences of breaking 'em... or else do not go there. and quit looking down upon the third world as a mere annex of the west (+better weather, +easier drugs, +easier sex) and crying foul ("corrupt asian courts") when tourists get caught breaking the laws and don't receive lighter punishments than the locals do.

Hell overt racism goes on in soccer games in Europe where each time a black player gets the ball they do monkey chants and even throw bananas on the field.

No matter how much America fucks up, that doesn't change what's fucked up in other countries. Many other countries are 30+ years behind us in that overt racism department.

I do think it's hilarious that a white person is screaming for an aborigine to GTFO.:lol: :lol: :lol:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-13-2005, 03:25 PM
I do think it's hilarious that a white person is screaming for an aborigine to GTFO.:lol: :lol: :lol:

You do know that they are rioting over Middle Easterners right, not native Australians....

More races than just black and white....

Busyman
12-13-2005, 03:31 PM

You do know that they are rioting over Middle Easterners right, not native Australians....

More races than just black and white....
Yes. I just made a blanket statement regarding aborigines.

I read about the riots on the way to work . The racism heightened after 9-11 and the Bali bombings.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-13-2005, 03:34 PM

Why? What was the use?

Busyman
12-13-2005, 04:02 PM

Why? What was the use?
I've heard of statements made to that effect in Australia. Similar to the same statements in America regarding blacks where back in the day, they were supposed to GTFO when in fact they were brought there by whites.:ermm:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Why? What was the use?
I've heard of statements made to that effect in Australia. Similar to the same statements in America regarding blacks where back in the day, they were supposed to GTFO when in fact they were brought there by whites.:ermm:

What does this riot have to do with blacks? Black people are not the only people ever to be oppressed.

Cheese
12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Many other countries are 30+ years behind us in that overt racism department.
Is this an opinion or is this a fact? Which countries are you thinking of? How do you measure/quantify this "overt racism department" (whether you consider it a fact or it is your opinion)?

Busyman
12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Many other countries are 30+ years behind us in that overt racism department.
Is this an opinion or is this a fact? Which countries are you thinking of? How do you measure/quantify this "overt racism department" (whether you consider it a fact or it is your opinion)?
Half a stadium throwing bananas onto a soccer field and making monkey sounds helps me quantify it. That NOT being an isolated incident helps also.

Busyman
12-13-2005, 04:27 PM

What does this riot have to do with blacks? Black people are not the only people ever to be oppressed.
It was a slightly off-topic comment related to racism.

I could bring up where you said the white fella didn't look like a light skinned aborigine and ask the same thing...What does that have to with the riots?:ermm: He's a citizen of the country. It's his country.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Half a stadium throwing bananas onto a soccer field and making monkey sounds helps me quantify it. That NOT being an isolated incident helps also.

Kinda funny, as I pretty much stay glued to Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV at home and work, and I never see this.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-13-2005, 04:29 PM
It was a slightly off-topic comment related to racism.

I could bring up where you said the white fella didn't look like a light skinned aborigine and ask the same thing...What does that have to with the riots?:ermm: He's a citizen of the country. It's his country.

It is the same as a white man saying it in America when he is obviously not a Native American. Still doesn't have anything to do with a black person.

Cheese
12-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Is this an opinion or is this a fact? Which countries are you thinking of? How do you measure/quantify this "overt racism department" (whether you consider it a fact or it is your opinion)? Half a stadium throwing bananas onto a soccer field and making monkey sounds helps me quantify it. That NOT being an isolated incident helps also.
Half a stadium eh? So if 10,000 people (a low turn out for major teams) were at the game then 5,000 of them brought bananas and threw them onto the pitch. Also are you implying this happens all the time as it is not an isolated inicident? Blimey, the groundsmen must have a hard time of it at these soccer fields.

What countries is this going on in? Are you saying that because Americans don't throw bananas on soccer pitches that they are 30 years ahead of these as yet un-named countries in the "overt racism department"?

Busyman
12-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Kinda funny, as I pretty much stay glued to Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV at home and work, and I never see this.
I saw it on Real Sport with Bryant Gumbel.

Many stadiums have stepped security on the matter after it went on for too long. There was a black star player from Arsenal talking about it also.

I've watched soccer as well and have never seen it. I don't stayed glued to it though or I'd surely fall asleep.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-13-2005, 04:33 PM

Many stadiums have stepped security on the matter after it went on for too long. There was a black star player from Arsenal talking about it also.

I've watched soccer as well and have never seen it. I don't stayed glued to it though or I'd surely fall asleep.

Well, Bryant Gumbel stays it is true so it must be......hmmm.

How do I get a job on the banana squad?!?!?

Cheese
12-13-2005, 04:34 PM
It used to happen in the 80's I think, nowadays it is pretty much an isolated incident. I believe it is a small hard-core group of "fans" doing this when it does occur and certainly not "half a stadium".

Busyman
12-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Half a stadium eh? So if 10,000 people (a low turn out for major teams) were at the game then 5,000 of them brought bananas and threw them onto the pitch. Also are you implying this happens all the time as it is not an isolated inicident? Blimey, the groundsmen must have a hard time of it at these soccer fields.

What countries is this going on in? Are you saying that because Americans don't throw bananas on soccer pitches that they are 30 years ahead of these as yet un-named countries in the "overt racism department"?
Hmmm..well when it goes on in over and over again and when authorities take forever to do something about it, that helps me quantify it.

I think the special did say that British stadiums were the first to crack down on such behavior though.

The 30 years ahead remark was made because we don't have stuff like that here at sporting events on a mass scale. If some fucker punches a fella 'cause he's white in the stadium...I do call that an isolated incident.

Busyman
12-13-2005, 04:40 PM

Well, Bryant Gumbel stays it is true so it must be......hmmm.

How do I get a job on the banana squad?!?!?
Uh yeah...don't forget the young French black fella from Arsenal.

Barbarossa
12-13-2005, 04:41 PM
The monkey chants were pretty bad in last years Champions League I seem to remember. Specifically at games in Turkey and Spain I seem to remember.

Bottom line is that these are isolated incidents, and are NOT tolerated by UEFA or any other professional body, with the offending clubs being heavily fined and told they must do more to control their "fans".

I think busyman, like his idea of a perfect lady's bottom, is blowing it all out of proportion :dabs:

Busyman
12-13-2005, 04:51 PM
The monkey chants were pretty bad in last years Champions League I seem to remember. Specifically at games in Turkey and Spain I seem to remember.

Bottom line is that these are isolated incidents, and are NOT tolerated by UEFA or any other professional body, with the offending clubs being heavily fined and told they must do more to control their "fans".

I think busyman, like his idea of a perfect lady's bottom, is blowing it all out of proportion :dabs:
Tbh, I was rather surprised by it when I saw Real Sports.

As far as saying half stadium, that's an obvious exaggeration just like when folks say the entire stadium was chanting for their team to win.:ermm:

Cheese
12-13-2005, 05:02 PM

I think busyman, like his idea of a perfect lady's bottom, is blowing it all out of proportion :dabs: Tbh, I was rather surprised by it when I saw Real Sports.

You think that's bad. When there's a Welsh player at Plymouth games they throw sheep onto the pitch.

maebach
12-13-2005, 08:44 PM
:lol:

on teh news, it said some coloured fags assaulted life-gaurds and that's what trigered the riots. :unsure:

3RA1N1AC
12-13-2005, 09:19 PM
:lol:

on teh news, it said some coloured fags assaulted life-gaurds and that's what trigered the riots. :unsure:
there's a little more to it, than that.

3RA1N1AC
12-14-2005, 09:24 PM
just walk away, and there will be an end to the horror...

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/1262/roadwarrior90kc.jpg