PDA

View Full Version : So I was walking around in manhattan

Shiranai_Baka
07-12-2006, 04:35 PM
and felt thirsty. I go into the nearest Duane Read (Pharmacy) to look for bottled water. The cheapest was priced at 1.19. I went to the counter to pay for water taking out a dollar and a quarter. The guy scans it and the price comes up as 1.19

Then a second later it flashes 1.29. I said "So you tax water now?" and they brazenly responded "yes"

What the hell is this?! ITS CRIMES COMMITTED AGAINST NATURE!

Busyman
07-12-2006, 04:53 PM
and felt thirsty. I go into the nearest Duane Read (Pharmacy) to look for bottled water. The cheapest was priced at 1.19. I went to the counter to pay for water taking out a dollar and a quarter. The guy scans it and the price comes up as 1.19

Then a second later it flashes 1.29. I said "So you tax water now?" and they brazenly responded "yes"

It's bottled water. Where's the confusion?

You are the one buying water.

Proper Bo
07-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Should have filled the nearest microwave with water than stolen that:smilie4:

Busyman
07-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Should have filled the nearest microwave with water than stolen that:smilie4:
Shirley you can do better than that.:dabs:

Proper Bo
07-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Soak the nearest green towels and steal those?:unsure:

Shiranai_Baka
07-12-2006, 05:11 PM

But to tax water?! Thats maniacal!

I live in brooklyn and they don't even tax water!

manker
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM

But to tax water?! Thats maniacal!

I live in brooklyn and they don't even tax water!
There is sales tax (VAT) on bottled water in the UK too.

It's luxury goods, what's the big deal :ermm:

MagicNakor
07-12-2006, 05:22 PM
It could be a deposit fee also. It's bottled water.

:shuriken:

Sextent
07-12-2006, 05:28 PM
You also pay for your tap water, thro' your rates.

Or at least the parent you're currently leaching off does.

Shiranai_Baka
07-12-2006, 05:46 PM
But we're not paying over $1 for a bottle of water AND tax!

Sextent
07-12-2006, 05:48 PM
I thought you said you were. :blink:

Proper Bo
07-12-2006, 05:48 PM
$1 = ~54p?

that's feck all:dabs:

Buffalo
07-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Almost everything has Tax on now :(
It’s quite strange that the price on the shelf is a pre Tax price, how odd

Proper Bo
07-12-2006, 05:49 PM
sloiyke $2 for a bottle of water here.

edit: simplflied currency for merkins.

Busyman
07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
It's bottled, silly. Just 'cause it's water instead of soda makes no difference.

Lilmiss
07-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Packaging and marketing products costs money.

Get over it, or use your hard earned cash to buy a beer instead.

Busyman
07-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Packaging and marketing products costs money.

Get over it, or use your hard earned cash to buy a beer instead.
Soda companies realized they'd make more money off schmucks buying water instead of soda and that's why we've got Aquafina and Dasani.

Some water bottles actually have that the water comes from a municipality.:lol: :lol: ....and people still buy.

NEWSFLASH****

Buy a Brita or Pur water pitcher, pour some of that filtered water in a bottle , freeze it, and carry that with you AT ALL TIMES.

....or do cry about the tax for a cold bottle at the at the store.

100%
07-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Taxed air coming soon, to a lung near you.

j2k4
07-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Buy a Brita or Pur water pitcher, pour some of that filtered water in a bottle , freeze it, and carry that with you AT ALL TIMES.

That's the idea I'd buy...even though the filter is generally overkill.

Buy water once and keep filling the bottle.

Anything else is duh-uh-uh-uh-umb...

My sister lives in Brooklyn, and doesn't cry about the tax.

'Tis the price of life in the Big Apple.

Tempestv
07-13-2006, 01:14 AM
I carry a big jug of water filled from a hose in my truck so that I can fill my liter bottle at work, and then I don't have to pay for my water. It could get expensive when you are drinking close to a gallon a day. I never buy water. why should I when I have eight gallons in my truck? BTW, no sales tax here and loving it. the price on the price tag is what you actually pay. what a concept...

spenz
07-13-2006, 01:14 AM
lol don't buy that or else you would support his abusive activity.

Barbarossa
07-13-2006, 09:11 AM
I carry a big jug of water filled from a hose in my truck so that I can fill my liter bottle at work, and then I don't have to pay for my water.

busyman? :unsure:

j2k4
07-13-2006, 09:42 AM
I carry a big jug of water filled from a hose in my truck so that I can fill my liter bottle at work, and then I don't have to pay for my water. It could get expensive when you are drinking close to a gallon a day. I never buy water. why should I when I have eight gallons in my truck? BTW, no sales tax here and loving it. the price on the price tag is what you actually pay. what a concept...

So you have a truck hose, eh?

Busyman™
07-13-2006, 12:07 PM

So you have a truck hose, eh?
Yeah he's a playa. He's got all kindsa hoes.

vidcc
07-14-2006, 01:55 AM
I carry a big jug of water filled from a hose in my truck so that I can fill my liter bottle at work
Doesn't the anti-freeze give it a nasty taste? :unsure:

Virtualbody1234
07-14-2006, 02:09 AM
$1.19 +tax for how much water?

I refuse to pay that much for water. Tap water is perfectly fine here where I live.

Skiz
07-14-2006, 02:45 AM
I can't believe you actually found a bottle of water in the city for that cheap.

Tempestv
07-14-2006, 03:11 AM
I can't believe you actually found a bottle of water in the city for that cheap.
sadly, neither can I. While I haven't spent much time in NY, in Newark Airport I have seen bottled water for $3.25 for a twelve ounce bottle. I about threw up.

MagicNakor
07-14-2006, 05:16 AM
I have to buy bottled water, simply because the water system where I live is (and always has been, to my knowledge) below the standards set by Health Canada. :P They're in the process of upgrading, but it'll be a number of years yet.

:shuriken:

Skiz
07-14-2006, 05:18 AM
I spent 4 days (about 6 weeks ago) in Manhattan with a friend who now lives there. We spent most of our time boozing in the local pubs. I could have fed a small country for what I spent in that amount of time.

I knew I was in for it when the first thing I ordered was a small styrofoam cup of guacomole and a pitcher of sangria, and the price was $55. :wacko:

I had a blast though.

9 days till I leave for my next trip: 2.5 weeks in San Jose Del Cabo at the Hilton Los Cabos!!! :w00t: