PDA

View Full Version : Okay to charge pda using different charger?

erRor67
12-24-2006, 12:30 AM
So I recently broke my pda charger and I really dont want to buy a new one. I found another charger that outputs at the same voltage as my old (broken) charger. However the amps is different. My old charger outputs at 1000 mA and the charger I want to use outputs at 850 mA. Anyone know if that is okay or will something break?

Skillz808
12-24-2006, 07:57 AM
So I recently broke my pda charger and I really dont want to buy a new one. I found another charger that outputs at the same voltage as my old (broken) charger. However the amps is different. My old charger outputs at 1000 mA and the charger I want to use outputs at 850 mA. Anyone know if that is okay or will something break?

I would assume it would be ok because it is lower then your broken one, now if it was higher i would think it would do damage.

Virtualbody1234
12-24-2006, 09:08 AM

I would assume it would be ok because it is lower then your broken one, now if it was higher i would think it would do damage.

I disagree.

Would you use a underpowered power supply in your PC? Say 200 watts?

Would you avoid a power supply with a higher wattage rating? Say 600 watts?

I wouldn't (for both questions).

Skillz808
12-24-2006, 09:14 AM

I disagree.

Would you use a underpowered power supply in your PC? Say 200 watts?

Would you avoid a power supply with a higher wattage rating? Say 600 watts?

I wouldn't (for both questions).

This is for charging not for permanant use like a pc uses a PSU but im not some pro at this stuff just giving what i thought but i could be wrong . :D

tesco
12-24-2006, 05:16 PM
It would make more sense to find out how many mA the pda actually uses while charging.
If it's under 800 then the charger will be fine.

chip19
12-24-2006, 06:06 PM
I know that the Palm m500 in particular has major issues with other chargers. Even if you use it's supplied charger and plug it in the wrong way, it can cause permanent damage. I doubt your Palm is as finicky, but I wouldn't take the chance. You should be able to find the exact charger you need on Ebay for cheap.