View Full Version : is usernet worth it

fatelephant
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I have been aware of newgroups for a while but since I am having trouble with my torrent accounts I am wondering if the 14$ a month is worth it.

I have been told to use the following combination if i do
v3.newzbin.com and usenetserver

So any comments would be welcolme.

Thanks

superfuzzy
04-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Use some of the free nzb seach engines to see if newsgroups have what you are looking for, and within the the retention period. Basically, if you plan on getting movies, you'll need an unlimited account, for audio only a block account may suffice.

Check with your ISP to see if they have news servers and note the monthly download limits (if any) and retention periods. In the US Comcast and Verizon have decent but limited news servers.

Kasen
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
if in doubt try the usenetserver $3, 3 day trial.

superfuzzy
04-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Or use binsearch.info first to see if usenet has what you need.
Just keep in mind the retention dates.

if in doubt try the usenetserver $3, 3 day trial.

knight76
04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
If your looking for a solution that you can use in conjunction with torrents then Usenet is great. Personaly I prefer Usenet over torrents anyday. No sharing worries. No worries about seeds etc, if its there you can get it at high speed.

Also, no worries that you may miss out on something due to not enough seeders or half way through a download the seeds leave. Usenet is easy, its either there or not. Also some usenet servers have retention around 100 days so you know its going to be available long term.

The combination you mention is working great for me. I guess you have to weigh up if the $14.95 is worth it to ensure something is available for 100 days or so and remove the sharing side.

link2009
04-11-2007, 09:29 PM
But, it depends on the quantity. I agree with what knight76 said, as long as you download non-stop. I'd rather pay $15 for 7 rented movies than $15/month and a few dollars for the DVDs...;)

webe123
04-12-2007, 04:18 AM
To me, I would MUCH rather pay for access to a newsgroup provider than to pay to have a "seedbox" for bit torrent.

On newsgroups, you don't have to worry about uploading back files....that makes it woth it right there for me. It has been about a YEAR since I have found anything I even wanted on private BT sites anymore. I basically use newsgroups exclusively now as uploading back is simply too much of a pain for me.

Windy72
04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I can only say take the plunge and find out. With nzb sites of today it has never been easier to get into usenet.

mesaman
04-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Can't answer because my ISP's unlimited server is doing the job for free.

roiko
04-13-2007, 05:43 PM
i don't think its worth it,
id rather rent the dvds..
:)

sm00nie
04-13-2007, 09:49 PM
It's definitely worth it. I download quite a bit each month and having the ability to grab whatever I want (videos, bulk image packs, etc..) at the maximum connection speed (6mbit in my case) is well worth $14 a month. I subscribed to a usenet provider about 3 weeks ago (previously using torrents) and there is no going back for me.

As for newzbin, I wouldn't pay for a subscription simply because (as many have said) there are lots of nzb community sites that openly share and require no payment, such as this one :).

knight76
04-14-2007, 03:48 PM
As for newzbin, I wouldn't pay for a subscription simply because (as many have said) there are lots of nzb community sites that openly share and require no payment, such as this one .

But are they as comprehensive as Newzbin, or as convenient?

burtz
04-14-2007, 06:15 PM
is it true that most 0-days go first in NewsGroups? i never had the chance to try this method since i can't afford to pay for it in out country.

TorrenTy
04-15-2007, 11:27 AM
i don't understand why do you pay as you can find everything on the bittorrent ? all the DVD , the new one you can find their .

djkemp1
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
because its a much safer environment, read through other posts

ezzzy
04-15-2007, 05:58 PM
oh yes i think its worth, i been using usenet for 5 years or so, i dl all my pc aaps, all my pc games, movies are all the there, tv series are all there, xbox 360 are all there great. i think usenet is the daddy, i started off using mirc, ftp, the p2p tried torrents, wouldnt use emm now though!

i don't understand why do you pay as you can find everything on the bittorrent ? all the DVD , the new one you can find their .

on usenet u get your full download speed(bandwidth) u pay for wot u get!

is it true that most 0-days go first in NewsGroups? i never had the chance to try this method since i can't afford to pay for it in out country.
usually newsgroups get it first(ftp top sites(privat ftp) if you can get acess, might get it quicker, then filters off to torrents p2p. some xbox360 games and movies hit usenet before the info gets to the nforce realease site or sites, newsgroups are no1!

Can't answer because my ISP's unlimited server is doing the job for free.

all free isp ones are ok, but many files will be missing, pay for wot u get!

groggy
04-15-2007, 07:05 PM
How about that being the big problem of bittorrent? Only new releases are there.

Ryan711
04-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I usually just get a lot of nzbs and get a 3 day trial from uns and download all away. I just don't use it enough to justify even 15 bucks a month.

knight76
04-16-2007, 04:12 PM
I usually just get a lot of nzbs and get a 3 day trial from uns and download all away. I just don't use it enough to justify even 15 bucks a month.

Thats great if you have a fast connection. I'm using an australian based 512k connection. It takes me a whole day to download 5 gig. More actually.

Which is why retention is important to me.

webe123
04-16-2007, 09:33 PM
i don't think its worth it,
id rather rent the dvds..
:)

Can you "rent" first-run movies like those at theaters? I don't THINK so! nuff' said.

Here's answering your question with some questions....Why do you want to seed a stupid file for days when you can get it off of newsgroups and not have to worry about seeding anything!? Then have that same file at maxed out speed that you cannot even get on private BT sites?

I can download many files off newsgroups to your one on bit torrent while you are still having to seed it back! That is the difference.