PDA

View Full Version : Rep Points... Do they really Matter

DannyGnXz
11-14-2007, 06:01 PM
For the past few weeks, I have been giving away invites to various places, some a quite difficult to get, but none the less - FREE. Expecting nothing in return for my generosity to some well deserving people.

I did not start my own thread of give aways because I did not want to break any rules about giving away invites to certain trackers on public forums. I only asked that Rep Points be left as a token of their appreciation.

Needless to say I was basically blown off.

Should I be pissed about this? or Is that what I should expect?

Why bother you ask?

I've been trying to get invited to FSC. Everyone says the same thing: Be active in the forums and build up your "Rep Points" and one day you'll get an invite to FSC un-expectantly. Some thing is broke here.

Why FSC you ask? I've been trying to quench my thirst of MMA, boxing and wrestling. Among other things. Now and again I like to go back in the past and check out old matches. Not to many of these lying around at other various locations. I have stuff I like to upload myself but fighting stuff is not appreciated in some communities.

So I ask, are Rep Points really worth all that? When do you give them out?

Actatoi
11-14-2007, 06:14 PM
For me they do not matter, I gave away one beacuse the guy asked for it after giving me a free invite. Some people care about it though.

TriviuM
11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
im not to botherd but to me it seems like a good way of saying thanks to a certain extent, now this somtimes gets taken the wrong way by ome people but. it can be a decent thing if you think about it, yeah you get some 1 with 200 posts but what dose that say about their generousity so it might help having it.

SiNa
11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Usually you give rep point to someone who has done a good giveaway (meaning giving away good trackers and also high level) or when you have traded with the guy.
now if you didnt recieve a rep point its either because what you gave away was not a "hard to get" tracker, like torrent-damage or simply because the guy is a jerk

i think rep points do matter, however sometimes you do not need to show off your rep points because everyone knows how well respected you are.

if that was your first giveaway then dont worry, just give away more and you will more than likely to receive many rep points

znik
11-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Certainly Rep points do not mean anything to me.
I have seen a lot of scammers all these years with dozens of rep points.

Some months ago they were called trading points and were meant to be given only after a successful trade.
Later on they were called "Bittorent points", since most of the times they were given as a token of respect and appreciation after a free invite was sent.

I have given a lot of free invites. Some of my invitees have given me a point, others didn't. It's up to the others to appreciate your gesture or not.

Some people think their e-penis will grow if they get many points and they require you to rep them in order to invite you somewhere.

Points are not your passport to the rare trackers. Friendship really iS!

It' just that some people require you to have a minimum amount of points in order to be eligible for their giveaways, which is wrong in my opinion, but nonetheless is a reality.
Some people also trade only with people with a certain status of points.

If you don't participate in giveaways and you don't trade, you don't have to prove anything and you don't need the stars and points.

kaffeine
11-14-2007, 06:29 PM
They don't mean anything really. It's nice to receive a 'thank you' after helping someone out (it's the least someone can say after being helped by others, but some are just immature and really ungrateful), but if that's said in the thread or by pm, rep points are unnecessary.

Many traders determine how "trusted" a member is for a certain trade, based on the number of rep points and their post count. Supposedly, the more points, the more trustworthy. But I've seen members with many points accused of being scammers and cheaters, so you can't base your trust on that..

You know a member after reading all of his/her posts and history (attitude, comments on certain things, maturity of their responses, etc).

For me those points certainly are worthless. A simple thank you is enough.

psxcite
11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
I have mixed feelings on this subject. I have given out quite a few rep points primarily due to the request from an inviter. But I have always told people that I have helped not to rep me. Basically because I always assumed at first glance it indicates your reputation as a trader, which I am not.

I, of course, realize that reps can be distributed for various reasons. I just never ask anyone I give an invite to indicated it in anyway other than to say thanks. And hopefully, I have a new friend. Pretty much every person on my buddy list has been someone who has helped me or I have helped in some way.

Maybe I'm wrong. It happens once or twice a year. But I don't think post count or rep stats will be a deciding factor in determinig your admission to some of the premier forums and sites.

DV8type
11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Well in reference to FSC....from my point of view, rep points are a negative. To me they mean you contribute to the insecurity of the BT community as a whole, as most sites do not allow giveaways or trades, hence you are breaking their rules, why would i not expect you to break ours.
My minimum requirements for an invite are well documented. The first thing: something needs to grab my attention, quality posts, character, contribution & membership term. Negatives: Trades, giveaways, breaking site rules, rudeness, etc. If the positives outweigh the negatives, i do a deeper inspection.....i wont go into how/what/where.
-Honestly, while you have been a member here since 2005, you have only recently started posting (less than a month), so i dont know you nor have i seen many of your comments.

Polarbear
11-14-2007, 06:56 PM
don't have any - didn't give any ----> [X] Rep points don't matter

fazzy07
11-14-2007, 06:58 PM
I dont know why lot of trackers give giveaway such a bad name
If it wasn't for the generosity and giveaways of members I would have been still stuck on demonoid( which is no more )
Some people I have invited here have been far better then the ones I know personally in real life
I have seen people giving away invites on irc without proofs of any kind and without knowing those individuals.
Atleast when I pick from here I know the history of the member and can decide whether to pick him or not
And rep would mean nothing to some people but my judgement of giving invites here is mostly the reps and the posts

sokrates
11-14-2007, 07:00 PM
well if he wants to have a rep point i give him one after an invitation.
i can live with not fullfilling the restrictions considering rep points in giveaway threads, so i dont need them

dragos
11-14-2007, 07:03 PM
If it wasn't for the generosity and giveaways of members I would have been still stuck on demonoid( which is no more )
Some people I have invited here have been far better then the ones I know personally in real life
I have seen people giving away invites on irc without proofs of any kind and without knowing those individuals.
Atleast when I pick from here I know the history of the member and can decide whether to pick him or not
And rep would mean nothing to some people but my judgement of giving invites here is mostly the reps and the posts

because giveaways are the same as trading. You invite people you don't know into private places that forbid that. Looking into a few post history does not mean you can judge wheter he's a good guy or not. I remember a few months ago , SgtMajor gaveaway some Czone invites and half an hour later he says his account was dissabled due to one of his invitees being a cheater. Giveaways = as bad as open trading

fazzy07
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM

because giveaways are the same as trading. You invite people you don't know into private places that forbid that. Looking into a few post history does not mean you can judge wheter he's a good guy or not. I remember a few months ago , SgtMajor gaveaway some Czone invites and half an hour later he says his account was dissabled due to one of his invitees being a cheater. Giveaways = as bad as open trading
Giveaway and trading is not the same. Dont know what the logic is behind that
There are some good apples and some bad apples.
If you think of people who are new to priv trackers and who dont have friends with elite trackers, it gives them a chance to show themselves.

blackbird
11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
might be usefull for traders .. and for others it means nothing ! its just a way to display the trust history for traders. .

why do you think uber traders hide it after they "retard" ?

they know its a negative thing when they are looking for some high level trackers/forums in which only staff has the invites ..

DV8type
11-14-2007, 07:22 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=private
pri·vate /ˈpraɪvɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prahy-vit] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. belonging to some particular person: private property.
2. pertaining to or affecting a particular person or a small group of persons; individual; personal: for your private satisfaction.
3. confined to or intended only for the persons immediately concerned; confidential: a private meeting.
4. personal and not publicly expressed: one's private feelings.
5. not holding public office or employment: private citizens.
6. not of an official or public character: private life.
7. removed from or out of public view or knowledge; secret: private papers.
8. not open or accessible to the general public: a private beach.
9. undertaken individually or personally: private research.
etc

>> Their are still some sites that like to remain *private* in the terms highlighted above. Atleast at FSC, invites are a privilege and are NOT meant to be public nor given to stranger. I know that on the interwebz "friend" is a term used loosely, so i always ask myself....is this a person who will contribute and make the community stronger? << for you to know the answer to that you have to know the member from more than a few anonymous post on a public forum.

fazzy07
11-14-2007, 07:27 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=private
pri·vate /ˈpraɪvɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prahy-vit] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. belonging to some particular person: private property.
2. pertaining to or affecting a particular person or a small group of persons; individual; personal: for your private satisfaction.
3. confined to or intended only for the persons immediately concerned; confidential: a private meeting.
4. personal and not publicly expressed: one's private feelings.
5. not holding public office or employment: private citizens.
6. not of an official or public character: private life.
7. removed from or out of public view or knowledge; secret: private papers.
8. not open or accessible to the general public: a private beach.
9. undertaken individually or personally: private research.
etc

>> Their are still some sites that like to remain *private* in the terms highlighted above. Atleast at FSC, invites are a privilege and are NOT meant to be public nor given to stranger. I know that on the interwebz "friend" is a term used loosely, so i always ask myself....is this a person who will contribute and make the community stronger? << for you to know the answer to that you have to know the member from more than a few anonymous post on a public forum.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense

Polarbear
11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
because giveaways are the same as trading. You invite people you don't know into private places that forbid that. trading

don't overact here holy dragos :innocent:

i asked a lot of tracker staff in person wether giveaways are allowed. most of them pointed out that i'm responsible for my invites, but it would be ok.
there are tracker who are against public giveaways and i respect that.

i got most of my invites on trackers.

but i'm sure you know all of your invitees face to face from your local pub or from the schoolyard.

do you go bowling with your bittorrent friends in real life and talk about utorrent settings and ratios?

where did you get your invites from?

the majority of invites are spread via the internet - not from person to person in real life.

i didn't count but i should have something like 30 invites left in total.
my sister's wedding is coming up. i will ask some of my relatives wether they want invites to private bt sites, because i totally trust them (except my one uncle, he cheated on his wife and will probably do the same with his ratio) :D

so do me a favour and stop mini-modding and lecturing fine people like fazzy here.

Defy
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I'd say rep points definitely matter after you've given away something for free. By leaving a comment when you give someone rep it lets other people know that you're a generous person. This could be beneficial when people trade as well, as it would allow members a sneak peak into their history, to see if they're trusted or not.

blackbird
11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
maybe we could have two rep systems ..one for giveaway and another for trade :D

dragos
11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
but i'm sure you know all of your invitees face to face from your local pub or from the schoolyard.

do you go bowling with your bittorrent friends in real life and talk about utorrent settings and ratios?

so do me a favour and stop mini-modding and lecturing fine people like fazzy here.

i think i have less than 10 invitees , on all trackers. Because yes , i know them all since i was born, since they're relatives most of them, cousins, life-long palls, etc.

my accounts are mostly from the same friends i know face to face or tracker staff. I have made a few trades here and there, not a hobby though.

i wasn't lecturing nor mini-moding fazzy, i was giving him an opinion on why some trackers don't alow giveaways

ApeXz
11-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Ive always pictured this subject like this:

If you give away a certain invite, whether its allowed on that tracker or not, your simply doing it for the mere generosity of giving another person a chance.

Sure, you could be warned, have your invites taken away, or possibly even banned. However, you give it away regardless of the possible outcomes, just for the fact that your helping out your fellow man.

I've always pictured this subject to be, in a way, sort of like saving a persons life. A friend, family member, maybe even a mere acquaintance is near death, and needs a kidney. You have 2 of them, fully functioning, and perfect for the aforementioned person. However, there is that chance that something bad could happen if you were to give him/her your kidney. You could get a disease (Warn), you could, after the operation, have a massive kidney failure with the one kidney you have left (Invites Removed), or.... you could die (Banned). However, you take the risk regardless, just to help out your fellow man.

Now, there are definitely a few flaws with my comparison, for instance, your possible invitee is in nowhere near a situation of dieing because he/she hasn't received the tracker they want. (I guess you could say if they wanted it enough, that they could be dieing of anticipation), but regardless... in a way, the 2 scenarios are alike.

I myself do the best I can to obey any and all tracker rules and requests. I do not invoke myself to trade, but I do however giveaway my invites to those that I know could use them and respect them, regardless of what could happen to me.

Polarbear
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
i was giving him an opinion on why some trackers don't alow giveaways

i agree with this and respect that.
i still have a whole bunch of high level invites, because i won't break those rules.

i was only getting a little upset, because i know fazzy from the start of his bittorrent career. he helped me out a lot - and i tried to help him as well.

don't take it personal. i didn't mean to offend you.

DannyGnXz
11-14-2007, 09:17 PM

DV8type > You have opened my eyes to something that is quite obvious but I failed to notice. So THANKS for enlightening me.

I am a FireFighter by occupation for the last 14 years. When I answer the call for help, I go in knowing that its my job. I get gratification knowing that I have helped someone doing my job and I do it expecting nothing in return. Who knows, I may loose my life in the process but that part of the dangers of the job.

I will do more to abide by the rules of the trackers from which I belong to and in the future I will continue to help others and not expect anything but my own gratification of knowing that I have helped as I have done in real life.

FSC will come one day, as it has come to others. In the mean time, the heck with rep points. I'll help my fellow man just cause I can.

Gish
11-14-2007, 10:18 PM
some people give away lots of shit invites so they may get a rep. in the end its just someone that does not deserve that reputation!

ibnahmed
11-14-2007, 11:27 PM
they have negative effect sometimes

i hate people giving me Rep points, i found it good in the beginning, but not now.

Roy.A
11-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Amm .. sorry but ...
how Exactly can you give someone a Rep Point ? :|
*its new to me, have mercy*

DannyGnXz
11-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Amm .. sorry but ...

Here you go Roy... the answer is in here:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-member-reputation-bt-rep-144759

But the short answer is: To give a point click the icon http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/buttons/reputation.gif to the left of a post.

Roy.A
11-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Amm .. sorry but ...

Here you go Roy... the answer is in here:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-member-reputation-bt-rep-144759

But the short answer is: To give a point click the icon http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/buttons/reputation.gif to the left of a post.

Well thanks for the quick answer mate ~ :)
im not able to do that yet ... i guess i still count as a new member ...

dave12
11-15-2007, 05:15 AM
i never ask for any and i dont care about rep points really, thanx is more appreciated than rep points.

N4riX
11-15-2007, 06:41 AM
If someone goes out of their way to send your dumb ass an invite the least you can do is give them what amounts to a pat on the back for their energy and faith. Its all too common for some humans to pillage the gratuity of others through what is basically social engineering and not say thank you. Sick shit in my opinion.

RealitY
11-15-2007, 06:52 AM
for you to know the answer to that you have to know the member from more than a few anonymous post on a public forum.
Would it be possible to meet a member here you think deserves an invite you have and then do some research so your confident about giving them that invite. Lets say you do a giveaway and check those that ask for the invite. Then find some who you like their posting style. Then contact them to ask if theyre a member at a mutual site. Then check their profile there and pm message them at that site to be sure its them. If members did this would you find it acceptable.

Think if a site gives invites to their members they should trust them with it. If they invite trash then thats on them and they most likely didnt do much research. The site should then choose to remove their invites or not based on any prior invites given. Though if that member has invited allot of others who have contributed to the site they should get a pass on being stripped of their invites.

The majority of invites given are not given to those we know for real but to those we know on the net. Think most bt staff is aware of that. This is why allot of sites dont have issue what you do with your invites but hold you responsible for them. This makes the most sense.

The sites that give invites for ratios or ul know it encourages members to have better ratios. Those members often want invites to give or trade to get into other sites. Dont think this is unknown to staff giving invites as a reward. It gets members to be more active.

Those that have invites in quantities should know they will appear on sites like this . To turn and ban their members for giving them is strange. Those that have issues like this most likely they shouldnt have invites. At the least have them in limited amounts...

Skiz
11-15-2007, 06:59 AM
for you to know the answer to that you have to know the member from more than a few anonymous post on a public forum.
Would it be possible to meet a member here you think deserves an invite you have and then do some research so your confident about giving them that invite. Lets say you do a giveaway and check those that ask for the invite. Then find some who you like their posting style. Then contact them to ask if theyre a member at a mutual site. Then check their profile there and pm message them at that site to be sure its them. If members did this would you find it acceptable.

Think if a site gives invites to their members they should trust them with it. If they invite trash then thats on them and they most likely didnt do much research. The site should then choose to remove their invites or not based on any prior invites given. Though if that member has invited allot of others who have contributed to the site they should get a pass on being stripped of their invites.

The majority of invites given are not given to those we know for real but to those we know on the net. Think most bt staff is aware of that. This is why allot of sites dont have issue what you do with your invites but hold you responsible for them. This makes the most sense.

The sites that give invites for ratios or ul know it encourages members to have better ratios. Those members often want invites to give or trade to get into other sites. Dont think this is unknown to staff giving invites as a reward. It gets members to be more active.

Those that have invites in quantities should know they will appear on sites like this . To turn and ban their members for giving them is strange. Those that have issues like this most likely they shouldnt have invites. At the least have them in limited amounts...

A-muthafuckin-men. :mellow:

Also, am I the only one who is disturbed to find that the one reason "rep" should actually be given, isn't even in the poll options? :dabs:

Detale
11-25-2007, 07:37 AM
No I was wondering myself

dave12
11-25-2007, 07:48 AM
ya correct, the main point for giving away rep point is missing

masterbat
11-25-2007, 07:56 AM
why cant we have an alternative karma system ?

+/- karma system . a + point for a helpfull post and -ve for whatever negative

pandabear
11-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Rep points mean nothing to me, but i do give them if someone is kind enough to invite me somewhere.

mysterious
11-25-2007, 09:27 AM
don't matter

every scammer can have a lot of rep points :/

JA
11-25-2007, 09:30 AM
More reps = Bigger e-penis.

Thats why i got 142 :D

t0mmy
11-25-2007, 10:48 AM
to me, rep points show how much you have contributed to the community through the essence of bittorent giveaways or trades, but more importantly giveaways, shows your generosity to help out other users, which will reflect onto other users

Grind$oFine
11-25-2007, 10:48 AM
I think giveaways are good. I understand that it does have its negative effects, but if everyone followed the rules exactly, then... how would anyone get into private sites?
I've had bad invitees but I like to believe a good portion of the people are generally decent. I remember what it was like starting from scratch. People took chances on me, and I'm so thankful they did.

If I have so much, and other people have so little, why not help out?

Something I don't understand: TL didn't allow any invite giveaways or trades, yet being so big, it's kind of a joke, because how could they ever control it? It just seems silly. Plus, when they had invites they gave 2 a week to PU (which isn't a hard user class to obtain.. at all.) And, generally, I'd say, when a site gives out tons of invites a month, they're pretty much asking for it. :idunno:
They closed invites to help with the problem, but the situation could have been better prevented.

Plus, when a site has just recently closed their open signups... why be so strict with invites?.. they were just open to EVERYONE.. unless they closed for privacy, but then why have invites?

I do, however, respect more secure, smaller trackers though. After all, the trackers weren't meant for masses of random people.. they put a strong emphasis on community, and I would definitely rather see someone I truly trust, a friend of mine, with very good reason get invited than someone I don't know much about.

I think anyone would behave differently with invites from each individual tracker.

Back to the topic, I don't think rep matters, but it can tell you a lot about someone, if you go looking at the comments. I think it's tacky when people ask for rep. :rolleyes: Rep should be genuine if given. Not much else I can say.. it's really not that big of a deal.

If you're a good person, you can show it without rep. :yup:

Sylar666
11-25-2007, 01:02 PM
They don't really matter. As u lurke around on FST and (hopefully) build up some rep, friendships will develop (or won't). One might as well disable showing his/her rep-points.

Sylar666
11-25-2007, 01:03 PM
They don't really matter. As u lurk around on FST and (hopefully) build up some rep, friendships will develop (or won't). One might as well disable showing his/her rep-points.

peat moss
11-25-2007, 04:12 PM
The PM from a member thanking me was always good enough , did like the idea of rep points at first but it seems to get abused . Whats the point of invites if you can't give them away ?

Night0wl
11-25-2007, 05:36 PM
I think rep points are just some e-penis thing, and I respect people that hide them way more than those who don't. But then, I don't trade and choose to make friends instead.

sear
11-25-2007, 06:17 PM
For me rep-points are the kiss of death :P If I want to give an invite to someone and they have their points showing I always think what for? Are they a trader...and are they going to trade this invite?

IMO...people that have the ability to invite you to a site like FSC won't do it because of your re-points they'll do it because they're your friend.