PDA

View Full Version : FBI Finally Arrests Alleged ''Wolverine'' Uploader

Darth Sushi
12-16-2009, 08:59 PM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/x-men-origins-wolverine,B-S-233704-1.jpgFBI Finally Arrests Alleged ''Wolverine'' Uploader
By Kevin Parrish, published on December 16, 2009

" the FBI arrested the alleged X-Men Origins: Wolverine uploader.

The FBI finally nabbed the (alleged) guy who uploaded "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" to the Internet last spring. CNET reports that federal agents arrested 47-year-old Giberto Sanchez in Bronx, New York "without incident." If he's found guilty, Sanchez will face a $250,000 fine and up to three years in prison, or twice the gross gain or gross loss attributable to the offense, depending which is greater.

Although the new Wolverine flick did just fine in the summer box office, the release of the unpolished version caused quite a bit of damage. And despite missing computer-generated graphics and stunt cables were still visible, the unauthorized, pirated movie was seen 4.1 million times before the polished version hit theaters. The leaked movie wasn't exactly hard to come by: Sanchez uploaded the pre-release flick onto Magaupload, a publicly-available storage site.

"On or about March 31, 2009, in Los Angeles County, within the Central District of California, and elsewhere, defendant GILBERTO SANCHEZ, also known as ("aka") "theSkilled1," aka "SkillfulGil," aka "Skillz101," and aka "SkillyGilly," did willfully infringe the copyright of a copyrighted work by the distribution of a work being prepared for commercial distribution, by making the motion picture "X-Men Origins:Wolverine" available on www.Megaupload.com, a computer network accessible to members of the public, when he knew and should have known that the work was intended for commercial distribution," reads the indictment.

Currently it's unknown how Sanchez received the unauthorized movie. Laura Eimiller, a representative for the FBI, said that more arrests are on the way, however she would not provide details on the source of the original leak, or the additional suspects. "

:source: Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/X-Men-Origins-Wolverine-FBI-Megaupload,news-5365.html

turin
12-16-2009, 10:52 PM
I was a good movie :-)

brilman
12-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I liked it

Cabalo
12-17-2009, 02:14 AM
So megaupload snitches their uploaders IPs ?

Slickerey
12-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Crazy. Megaupload sucks now. I knew that RS was always better.

Cabalo
12-17-2009, 03:11 AM
I wouldn't trust them either, but... :ermm:

Slickerey
12-17-2009, 03:32 AM
What's better? MediaFire? :lol:

Cabalo
12-17-2009, 03:53 AM
What's better? MediaFire? :lol:
NotUploading ?

prisoneric
12-17-2009, 05:30 AM
I dont even understand why people use service like rapidshare etc... If u like to use it free, it is sooo slow, if u pay what is point to download :)
I think p2p should be free. (offcourse there is server bills and like that but for normal user)

Anyway, if I like to pay then I take astraweb and leech 100Mbit whole month with 10 bucks :D

megabyteme
12-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Can't wait to hear how much "damage" it cost the movie industry. :frusty:

Cabalo
12-17-2009, 06:48 AM
I dont even understand why people use service like rapidshare etc... If u like to use it free, it is sooo slow, if u pay what is point to download :)
I think p2p should be free. (offcourse there is server bills and like that but for normal user)

Anyway, if I like to pay then I take astraweb and leech 100Mbit whole month with 10 bucks :D
I was a RS hater myself, but once I discovered warez-bb and this little FF utility called rapidshare downloader, I was convinced.
Pretty useful to download applications, music and many unique contents that you can't find anywhere else.
I can't live without RS, though it's not even nearly my main source for stuff.

sriups
12-17-2009, 07:02 AM
very sad news......sorry mate.

goopka
12-17-2009, 08:09 AM
the unauthorized, pirated movie was seen 4.1 million times before the polished version hit theaters.

Woo accurate numbers :rolleyes:

sez
12-17-2009, 08:44 AM
We are the ones who give business to these 1 click hosts and if honestly MU doesn't come out with a statement I think people-especially uploaders-are gonna start reconsidering their options.

susiserken
12-17-2009, 09:08 AM

rapidshare has done the same thing with some users uploading metallica material :huh:

j6796713
12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Can't wait to hear how much "damage" it cost the movie industry. :frusty:

Props for Mr.sanchez but the fact that he got caught just confirms his stupidity. Seriously if any one would want to get away with such an act, your better off uploading such material over somebody elses home network. This at least you have a fighting chance of hide and go seek. Astraweb, so sure worth the money, worth the ssl 256bit encryption.

:whistling

Rogi
12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
What shitty movie to go to jail for imo. :dry:

Sporkk
12-17-2009, 05:10 PM

nnnnnn
12-17-2009, 09:26 PM
seriously the risk of pre-release stuff is too much compared to the praise you get for it.

Just wait till it's available on dvd and everyone can share it without them trying to nail one person down for a workrint that got leaked. patience doesn't hurt.

playerone
12-18-2009, 12:49 AM

rapidshare has done the same thing with some users uploading metallica material :huh:

I think Slickerey was being sarcastic. I think what he really meant is RS is pretty much the same.

bpunk88
12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
..."Sanchez will face a $250,000 fine and up to three years in prison, or twice the gross gain or gross loss attributable to the offense, depending which is greater."

So even IF the movie profited, he could have to pay them DOUBLE their profits ?? WTF!

The movie was average but dont leak it to public sites like megaupload, RS, MU, & others have no problems turning over data on their users. Extra stupid if you have a premium account.

underw
12-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Crazy

agentofchaos
12-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Haha the movie was awesome though