PDA

View Full Version : Any way to prevent being caught/sued?

pittguy578
07-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Just wondering-I use to be a big torrent downloader, but now I am afraid to get sued. I still download documentaries-not afraid of being sued over those. Any solutions?

th0r
07-05-2010, 05:47 AM
first of all, what country do you live in?

pittguy578
07-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Usa...

1000possibleclaws
07-05-2010, 06:29 AM
I'd think if you stay away from big movies and video games, especially if they haven't even been released to the public yet, your chances of not running into trouble will be much better.

A
07-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Use a Shared Seedbox and SFTP your stuff (Seedboxes are damn cheap now)

Funkin'
07-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Usa...

Eh...that's where I"m at too. And in the few years I've been downloading I haven't received any type of emails(*knocks wood*). Although I don't download through bittorrent exclusively. I also use forums and newsgroups.

If you're going to use bittorrent then I would do what TS suggested. I also (usually)stay away from files that haven't reached the shelves/theaters yet. So I personally believe if you stay out of those swarms then you have a better chance staying off the radar.

Plus if your ISP has a monthly cap I would think not going over it would help also.

anon
07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Just wondering-I use to be a big torrent downloader, but now I am afraid to get sued.

What trackers are you currently using, and do you have some means of IP filtering?

sbovisjb1
07-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Get a dedicated server. Goto Wal-Mart and buy a prepaid cc. Goto the library and transfer the money to egold -> western union -> paypal. You can do this in 1hr (I do) Where I live, we have privacy laws, so police cannot request my data. The company can't give up my personal info (may be different in your country).

Install openBSD. If you can't, install what OS you can, jail your user and install truecrypt. Then secure your irc, ftp, ssh, vnc and bittorent connections on the server. Don't forget to have truecrypt on your home computer. If you do this, you won't get caught ever. Even if the police kicks down your door (extremely unlikely if you are just downloading movies/games/music)

diaoooo
07-06-2010, 09:30 AM
China is safe except something that runs against the government``

Sonnentier
07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
You should stick to Newsgroups for most of the downloading, torrents can be risky.

Slickerey
07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Or he could just buy a RapidShare/HotFile premium account.

b1c2
07-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Get a dedicated server. Goto Wal-Mart and buy a prepaid cc. Goto the library and transfer the money to egold -> western union -> paypal. You can do this in 1hr (I do) Where I live, we have privacy laws, so police cannot request my data. The company can't give up my personal info (may be different in your country).

Install openBSD. If you can't, install what OS you can, jail your user and install truecrypt. Then secure your irc, ftp, ssh, vnc and bittorent connections on the server. Don't forget to have truecrypt on your home computer. If you do this, you won't get caught ever. Even if the police kicks down your door (extremely unlikely if you are just downloading movies/games/music)

That's just borderline paranoid.

anon
07-10-2010, 05:36 PM
That's just borderline paranoid.

Encrypting your home HDD may be, but doing it on the server's isn't much of a bad idea, actually.

KFlint
07-10-2010, 09:42 PM
10 dollars a month for newsgroups access is really cheap to have peace of mind, I don't remember downloading much of anything that is 0-day on bittorrent since I'm using it and that's mainly where you can get fuck.