PDA

View Full Version : Is someone using my wireless?

Elvenmunky
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
I don't know if its just me being paranoid but I think someone is using my wireless. I started getting times where the internet slows down a LOT. So I did some research and it said to check something called the DHCP Table. When I go into DHCP Client Table. My usual devices show up but then I get an IP named '(none)' on it and the other day there was an 'Unknown' on it. My security is on WPA2-Personal. It is a Linksys router. I really think its some stupid kid thinking he's cool by hacking it. Any suggestions?

anon
02-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Change your WPA2 password to a different, stronger one and read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security#Wireless_Security_Best_Practices).

Elvenmunky
02-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Thank you. I have changed it to a 12 character password using a password generator. We will see what happens.

Expeto
02-06-2011, 01:51 PM
We will see what happens.
it takes up to 5114 years to crack 12 char only lowercase password
1444817999 years to crack 12 char upper/lower/digit/punctiation password

If it happens again, I would suspect friends and relatives. Check for keyloggers.

To crack wpa they need to catch the package called "4-way handshake". Everytime you connect to wifi this 4way handshake occurs between you and wifi access point. Attacker need to catch this to perform a crack. The reason I'm telling this is, most common way of getting this key package is forcing existing connection to fail. When you connection fails your auto-reconnect reconnects which leads to creation of a new 4way-shake. Keep and eye on mysterious disconnections

Elvenmunky
02-06-2011, 03:08 PM
We will see what happens.

If it happens again, I would suspect friends and relatives. Check for keyloggers.

To crack wpa they need to catch the package called "4-way handshake". Everytime you connect to wifi this 4way handshake occurs between you and wifi access point. Attacker need to catch this to perform a crack. The reason I'm telling this is, most common way of getting this key package is forcing existing connection to fail. When you connection fails your auto-reconnect reconnects which leads to creation of a new 4way-shake. Keep and eye on mysterious disconnections

Thank you for your reply. I used to have serious mad disconnections before. My whole computer used to act weird when it disconnected. It used to freeze my computer every-time I had a disconnection. It is not so bad now. I had cheeked the DHCP table again and the '(none) and 'Unknown' were back again. Does the DHCP log wired connections as well? Because I believe it could be my Xbox and PS3.

anon
02-06-2011, 04:04 PM

What if they use cloud cracking services? For a small fee they put an array of powerful servers to work on your captured WPA handshakes. One of them claims it can break most passwords in 20 minutes or less.

Does the DHCP log wired connections as well?

Check the manual or Google your router's model number, it should say so somewhere.

Expeto
02-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Thank you for your reply. I used to have serious mad disconnections before. My whole computer used to act weird when it disconnected. It used to freeze my computer every-time I had a disconnection.
That is a nicely done de-auth by your hacker. He basicly send bogus signals about that your connection is broken. Its bit like phishing emails, but ofcourse these are wi-fi packages instead of mails.

Do some trial and error to see if its really your ps3 or xbox, but I don't think both ps3 and xbox will be unknown.

What if they use cloud cracking services? For a small fee they put an array of powerful servers to work on your captured WPA handshakes. One of them claims it can break most passwords in 20 minutes or less.

I think leaving thy neighbour alone might be cheaper :) If the hacker happens to have access to either a data center or a slave botnet you password might not stand a chance. But still we are talking about a nice 12 char password if its upper/lower/digit/punctiation, it will still take to 1734 years even if 999999 average computers works on it at the same time.

ofcourse... this was before the cloud (fuck you google!, fuck you for making it popular)
If read a german guy cracked a PSK in 6 mins(I don't know how many chars or how good was the password) with amazon cloud and the amazon charged him less than 10$ for that cpu usage. He was supposed the release the software a conference this year

mr-mr
02-06-2011, 07:27 PM
You can probably see a log of the connections to your router via its admin interface, if you see nothing unusual it may be a virus/trojan.. that's not too uncommon in the file sharing world ;)

raghuveer
02-06-2011, 07:44 PM
how do i check the log connections on the router.
IF I am using someone's wifi signal and downloading,will the owner of the connection know that i am using
If i do manage to get his wifi can i log into his system if so can anyone explain.

mr-mr
02-06-2011, 07:51 PM
The owner may see that someone is using their wifi. Now if your pc name is "raghuveer-Pc" it may give him a hint about who it is ;) If you're connected to his wifi you can see the files he is sharing on his computers and things like that.. Basically you're connected to his "private" lan.

Quarterquack
02-06-2011, 08:01 PM

1) It doesn't matter how powerful a computer you have behind a brute force attack if the bottleneck is on your side of things.
2) I'll take up their challenge. I'll even let them try and crack one of my easier passwords.

Also, my WPA2 password is 64 characters long. Anything less and you're playing amateur league. :whistling

anon
02-06-2011, 08:11 PM
how do i check the log connections on the router.

Open the default gateway's IP in your browser. That usually lets you access its Web interface (having logged in first), which in turn should let you check who's connected somewhere.

IF I am using someone's wifi signal and downloading,will the owner of the connection know that i am using

They can do as above and see you're online. Most people won't check if you aren't stupid and download heavy stuff at full speed or change the router's configuration, for example. Personally, I see nothing wrong with using someone else's Wi-Fi as long as you don't affect the owner negatively.

If i do manage to get his wifi can i log into his system if so can anyone explain.

That depends on a variety of factors I won't go into since hacking discussions are forbidden by FST's rules.

2) I'll take up their challenge. I'll even let them try and crack one of my easier passwords.

Okies. Won't give links, but it's the first result in Google for the query "wpa cracker". :)

Expeto
02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
If i do manage to get his wifi can i log into his system
hmm, I think you cannot... but someone else might

1) It doesn't matter how powerful a computer you have behind a brute force attack if the bottleneck is on your side of things.
what bottle neck? there is no bottleneck at the wpa cracking

Also, my WPA2 password is 64 characters long. Anything less and you're playing amateur league. :whistling
that sounds practical :)

A
02-09-2011, 03:25 AM
How Can I Find Out If Someone’s Stealing My Wi-Fi? (http://lifehacker.com/#!5738123/how-can-i-find-out-if-someones-using-my-wireless-network)

Quarterquack
02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
what bottle neck? there is no bottleneck at the wpa cracking

that sounds practical :)

Actually, there are multiple ways to stop a brute force attack about 2-3 passwords checks in (especially on wireless networks), but you know, if you can't find them on your own then it's pointless explaining them.

I do actually have a 64 character long WPA2 password, but I mostly have it as a running joke with friends who come over to my place for a LAN party or such. They're always annoyed by how much they have to type. I find it hilarious. There's no (sane) reason to have such a long password when an 8-10 character long password can do a job just as well.

Aviera
02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Just to be safe you can isolate the wireless network from wired users too...

iLOVENZB
02-22-2011, 10:21 AM
thank you. I have changed it to a 12 character password using a password generator. We will see what happens.

lolwhat?

bonjasky
04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Modify you wireless in hide status.

rdtphd
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
i would doubt someone has hacked ur wireless. u say u use wpa so they mostly likely didnt hack the password unless you have a keylogger. the other way that i know of takes a little more skill but bypasses the wpa security all together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stnJiPBIM6o

anon
04-12-2011, 02:25 AM
u say u use wpa so they mostly likely didnt hack the password unless you have a keylogger.

If the password is weak, WPA can be cracked in relatively little time using dictionary or bruteforce attacks.

Expeto
04-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Actually, there are multiple ways to stop a brute force attack about 2-3 passwords checks in (especially on wireless networks), but you know, if you can't find them on your own then it's pointless explaining them.
How can I deny such solid evidence...

rdtphd
04-12-2011, 09:42 PM
u say u use wpa so they mostly likely didnt hack the password unless you have a keylogger.

If the password is weak, WPA can be cracked in relatively little time using dictionary or bruteforce attacks.

well duh if u use a common password that would be in a dictionary file. thats like setting your password = password and thinking you are secure. and back to the OP he said
I have changed it to a 12 character password using a password generator

Gorbux
04-13-2011, 02:25 AM
How Can I Find Out If Someone’s Stealing My Wi-Fi? (http://lifehacker.com/#!5738123/how-can-i-find-out-if-someones-using-my-wireless-network)
Thats a great link