PDA

View Full Version : Movie Industry Buries Study Results That Pirates Buy More DVDs Than Average

duke0102
07-22-2011, 09:54 AM
The movie and music industry have been trying to portray file sharers as criminal pirates and parasites who steal billions of dollars from the industry in lost sales. In order to strengthen their argument, the MPAA and RIAA commissioned a number of studies that would investigate the negative effects pirates cause to their sales. Ironically, the studies proved the exact opposite, and they had to shut up about it while repeating their usual accusations.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2918/johnnydepppiratesofthec.jpg

The whistle was blown by an unnamed GFK employee who told German website, Telepolis, a study conducted by GFK on behalf of the movie industry found that pirates typically download illegal copies of movies to try-before-they-buy. The study also found that pirates buy more legit DVDs than the average user and they visit the movie theater more, especially for opening weekend releases which typically cost more to attend.

The study concluded that movie pirates are more interested in movies and that they spend more money on movies than most people, making them the industry’s best customers.

Unfortunately, the unnamed client who commissioned the study decided against it getting published. Not very surprisingly, the reason given for canning the study was that its findings are “unpleasant.”

It is worth noting that an unrelated independent research conducted earlier this year has found that anime piracy and streaming in Japan increased DVD sales.

Source:http://www.megagames.com/news/movie-industry-buries-study-results-pirates-buy-more-dvds-average

iLOVENZB
07-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Than average what?

mjmacky
07-22-2011, 06:22 PM
human being?

duke0102
07-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Than average what?
If you read the article you'd know the answer to that

iLOVENZB
07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Than average what?
If you read the article you'd know the answer to that

I did read the article. Still begs to question why the journalist blogger didn't finish the comparison.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 11:14 AM
What's there to finish? It's more of a statement than a comparison due to the anonymous source and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find figures to add to this.
I felt this would be interesting for people to read and I even left a link to the source article so people won't think I'm trying to claim I wrote this.
Picking apart this post won't change the statements given and I feel most people will get the general point.

iLOVENZB
07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
What needs to be done is a unbiased, professional study. Not some pirate claiming because he bought 1 film of iTunes last week means that all pirates do it.

One fact is; If I steal someone's intellectual property via network like Usenet, I'm not in any way contributing to a sale. Stealing is still stealing no matter how you twist it.

One tax I would be willing to pay is a piracy tax. Sometimes I feel for those indie ass holes trying to make it big.

iLOVENZB
07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
What needs to be done is a unbiased, professional study. Not some pirate claiming because he bought 1 film of iTunes last week means that all pirates do it.

One fact is; If I steal someone's intellectual property via network like Usenet, I'm not in any way contributing to a sale. Stealing is still stealing no matter how you twist it.

One tax I would be willing to pay is a piracy tax. Sometimes I feel for those indie ass holes trying to make it big.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
IF the source is true then all good because GFK is a large market research company and Telepolis seems to be a German news and comparison site.
I felt I could relate to this article some what as I do buy almost everything I play/watch and really enjoy. I'm also not here to say piracy is OK and I'm not going to go on about possible legal and moral grounds on that subject.

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:11 PM
IF the source is true then all good because GFK is a large market research company and Telepolis seems to be a German news and comparison site.
I felt I could relate to this article some what as I do buy almost everything I play/watch and really enjoy. I'm also not here to say piracy is OK and I'm not going to go on about possible legal and moral grounds on that subject.

Obviously I haven't read any of the above. However, I'd just like to angle in the real issue here. That being, why are you such a stupid cunt, mate?

Take your time. I wouldn't want you rush into anything.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 12:12 PM
"That being, why are you such a stupid cunt, mate?"

What? fuck you

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:13 PM
"That being, why are you such a stupid cunt, mate?"

What? fuck you

That doesn't answer my very pertinent question.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 12:16 PM
How does copy and pasting an article I thought people would want to read then standing up for myself make me have low intelligence?

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:19 PM
How does copy and pasting an article I thought people would want to read then standing up for myself make me have low intelligence?

The C&P thing was doomed from the start. Thinking people would want to read it makes you doubly stupid.

Thinking that you're standing up for yourself permutates the aforementioned into fractal idiocy.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 12:22 PM
How do you know people won't want to read it? I'm happy for people to give there own opinions but not everyone has the same opinion as yourself

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:29 PM
I know because this is the lounge. You don't know cos you're completely out of your depth.

Once again, you're a stupid cunt, mate.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Out of my depth for what? I didn't write the article as stated in the article so how am I stupid?

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 12:39 PM
How do you know people won't want to read it?

They did a study on it.Lesser minds tried to suppress it but in the end the truth won out.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 12:44 PM
The real cunt is the one that flames on someone thats trying to share info he has found.
I do think there's a truth in this story, since allot of users "try before they buy".
And its also true that the ones downloading movies, mostly like movies more then the average user.. and there for wants to buy the movie he really likes.
Instead of an average user borrowing or renting this movie since he/she is no movie/game fanatic.

All with all, thats kinda my opinion dunno about the rest of ya'l but keep it nice and try to understand it before u comment..
He didnt wrote the topic himself but just shared this info from the source.

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Out of my depth for what? I didn't write the article as stated in the article so how am I stupid?

You are stupid cos long before you came here your mum was an internets cock-sucking meme.

Now you're just some underdeveloped fellow whose mum didn't tell him not to come to this forum. I pity you.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 12:47 PM
In the end your all a bunch of fags for pickng on duke, he tried to share some info and if u dont wanna read it then dont.. noone is forcing u.
And talking about this is a lounge.. wtf u do in a lounge u talk right? and share info.. so stop being a cunt urself before u flame ppl.

I do enjoyed the topic and know there's a truth in there.

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:48 PM
In the end your all a bunch of fags for pickng on duke, he tried to share some info and if u dont wanna read it then dont.. noone is forcing u.
And talking about this is a lounge.. wtf u do in a lounge u talk right? and share info.. so stop being a cunt urself before u flame ppl.

I do enjoyed the topic and know there's a truth in there.

Yeah, but you're a stupid cunt too. Hence you don't count.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 12:49 PM
"You are stupid cos long before you came here your mum was an internets cock-sucking meme.

Now you're just some underdeveloped fellow whose mum didn't tell him not to come to this forum. I pity you. "

So you've lost your pathetic attempt at an argument after realising you are wrong and have a personal attack at me? Who is the stupid cunt now 'cos it certainly isn't me and ANY reply after this will be hateful and will only prove my point.

The internet has a word for hateful people like you 'Troll'

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:52 PM
"You are stupid cos long before you came here your mum was an internets cock-sucking meme.

Now you're just some underdeveloped fellow whose mum didn't tell him not to come to this forum. I pity you. "

So you've lost your pathetic attempt at an argument after realising you are wrong and have a personal attack at me? Who is the stupid cunt now 'cos it certainly isn't me and ANY reply after this will be hateful and will only prove my point.

What argument? This is moot.

You are stupid. The very fact that you're responding to me confirms that.

Why did you post this in the lounge?

IdolEyes787
U basically lost any right to moral superiority when you sunk to homophobic slurs.
Want to call me a kike or a jigaboo while you're at it?

Whiplash1212
If i might correct u, u are the result of a misserable 3 minutes of pleasure from ur mom..
This doesnt give u the right to flame at others.

All he is doin is defending his case, cus in the end you guys just didnt understand the topic..
Or ur opinion is not strong enough to give ur own, instead of saying there's been study's like this.. (so what)
There's been study's and results change.. try to get ur own point of view.

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:54 PM
U basically lost any right to moral superiority when you sunk to homophobic slurs.
Want to call me a kike or a jigaboo while you're at it?

Your mum sinks to homophobic slurs. Internets fact.

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:55 PM
If i might correct u, u are the result of a misserable 3 minutes of pleasure from ur mom..

I can flame anybody I fucking like. Just fucking watch me, dick.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 12:56 PM

You can, and by doin this u confirmed my first made statement about you.. thank you for this ;)

a7x
07-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm watching,too.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Why would you want to be hateful to other people?

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 12:57 PM

I knew you were a flamer. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

chalice
07-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm watching,too.

All mongs can really do is watch. So watch well, you fucking remedial.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 12:59 PM

Cus he has no life, is a troll and also looks like one.

chalice

It's not hateful if the recipient is a complete trifle like yourself.

duke0102
Hate is hate regardless of you superiority complex

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Flaming isnt wrong in the correct situation, not when u just dont know what to say and randomly start attacking ppl.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:01 PM

It's not hateful if the recipient is a complete trifle like yourself.

You really gotta put that mirror away dude.

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:01 PM

I'm not a troll. I've been here for like 9 years or something. I live here. If I was a troll I would've been banned by now, don't you think?

It's not my fault that you're both stupid cunts.

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Hate is hate regardless of you superiority complex

If hating monkeys like you is hating then I fucking love it. So it's more of a loving thing, innit.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 01:03 PM

You stink like poo and your mother wears army pants.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Calling us stupid cunts yet you think you're not a troll?

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Flaming isnt wrong in the correct situation, not when u just dont know what to say and randomly start attacking ppl.

Please shut the fuck up before you give everyone under the age of 16 a bad name.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:07 PM

I'm not a troll. I've been here for like 9 years or something. I live here. If I was a troll I would've been banned by now, don't you think?

It's not my fault that you're both stupid cunts.

Doesnt this say allot about this forum?
If someone like u has been here 9 years, flaming ppl who just wanted to share some info... thats a well spent 9 years (xD).
U need change in ur life, after 9 years being on a forum where trolls are allowed they eventualy all transform.. thats evolution right.
In the end u just need to drop dead, or continue ur pathetic life.

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Calling us stupid cunts yet you think you're not a troll?

Pointing out the spastic ways of idiots on the internets is a full-time, well-paid vocation.

I'm not a troll, I'm your dad. Or an upgraded version at least.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:08 PM
So it's come down to you making childish comments? Jeez you really are pathetic

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:09 PM

Please shut the fuck up before you give everyone under the age of 16 a bad name.

Adjust ur glasses.

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:11 PM

Yeah, well,I only sank so low cos you made untoward comments about my mate Idol.

I'll tear your fucking eyeballs out next time, you nonce.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Where did I make comments to Idol?
And as for tearing my eyes out, go for it you pussy lol

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Yeah, well,I only sank so low cos you made untoward comments about my mate Idol.

I'll tear your fucking eyeballs out next time, you nonce.

Try to get out of ur chair first, i can smell ur fat ass from over here.
Scratching eyes out, u cant even reach ur ass and let ur mom wipe it..

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:14 PM

You know what you did to Idol, you cunt. Don't start denying it.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Omg, your making things up now. Show me a link to where I slagged him off.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:17 PM

You know what you did to Idol, you cunt. Don't start denying it.

If it was goin in against an opinion.. then i got news for ya, thats how a discussion needs to go instead of flaming when u think the other person is wrong.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Uve been here 9 years and all u got in 3 friends xD lmao

a7x
07-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I can curse too? Fuck chavis. :D

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 01:21 PM

I don't hit either women or children without a good reason. Being a clueless dolt on the internet doesn't qualify.
Btw the truly,singularly, pathetic thing about all this is that duke0102 and Whiplash1212 believe themselves to be winning the argument.
That and Whiplash's grammar teacher still has a job.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:24 PM
@Idol Have insulted you somewhere? disagreeing with an opinion, I probably have done but I don't think I've even gone out my way to insult you.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:24 PM

I don't hit either women or children without a good reason. Being a clueless dolt on the internet doesn't qualify.
Btw the truly,singularly, pathetic thing about all this is that duke0102 and Whiplash1212 believe themselves to be winning the argument.

Would u like to try this conversation in dutch? if not dont complain about my grammer and adjust ur personality.. cus ur an asshole.

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM

It's always cathartic to know, that no matter how far of internets field we swing, we can always rely on a couple of fresh mongoloids to come home to.

It's like riding a spastic bike.

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
I can curse too? Fuck chavis. :D

xD And ya, Fuck chavis.. and in this case idol also.. i dont give a crap about offending someone that desirves it.
All duke was doin is sharing info, and u guys flamed him for that.. thats wrong dude.. (ur mom shouldv told u this)

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 01:27 PM
@Idol Have insulted you somewhere? disagreeing with an opinion, I probably have done but I don't think I've even gone out my way to insult you.

Does your continuing existence count?

Whiplash1212

It's always cathartic to know, that no matter how far of internets field we swing, we can always rely on a couple of fresh mongoloids to come home to.

It's like riding a spastic bike.

Cus in the end ur the mongoloid urself right ;)

chalice

Too late now, you cunt.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:28 PM
A friendly question and you give that reply?

@Chavis too late for what? i've still got my eyes you prick and still waiting for this proof

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Too late now, you cunt.

Like he cares, uve shown ur real self allready.. being that pathetic lowlife with an open arse ready to be penetrated by idol... dont be affraid ur secret is out now.

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:32 PM

@Chavis too late for what? i've still got my eyes you prick and still waiting for this proof

None of this would've happened if you hadn't said what you said to Idol. That guy is a fucking saint. Call me what you like but leave him out of it.

If I hadn't eaten all my children in the fetus stage, he would definitely be a candidate for godfather.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Would u like to try this conversation in dutch? if not dont complain about my grammer and adjust ur personality.. cus ur an asshole.

Your gammer is a old hag and your gramper wears army pants.
As for your grammar it's the use of u and ur that I concerns me.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:34 PM

None of this would've happened if you hadn't said what you said to Idol. That guy is a fucking saint. Call me what you like but leave him out of it.

If I hadn't eaten all my children in the fetus stage, he would definitely be a candidate for godfather.

still waiting for a link to where I slagged him off

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 01:34 PM

I wasn't polite enough?

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:36 PM

I wasn't polite enough?

Obviously not

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Like he cares, uve shown ur real self allready.. being that pathetic lowlife with an open arse ready to be penetrated by idol... dont be affraid ur secret is out now.

And to think you give your mother cunnilingus with that mouth.:(

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Your gammer is a old hag and your gramper wears army pants.
As for your grammar it's the use of u and ur that I concerns me.

So my mom wears army pants and my grammer does? something about the army? u probably didnt got accept cus of ur fat ass.
And my grammer annoying u is the last thing i would care about if i where you, what about that micro thing in ur pants.. thats what u should be concerned about.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 01:37 PM
I wasn't polite enough?

Obviously not
Does your continuing existence count ,sir?

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:38 PM

And to think you give your mother cunnilingus with that mouth.:(

What mouth, its my fingers typing this u fag.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 01:39 PM
So my mom wears army pants and my grammer does? something about the army? u probably didnt got accept cus of ur fat ass.

I'm not fat it's water retention from the steroid abuse.Probably explains my micro-penis at least.

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Obviously not

lol. Why would my existence offend you? Seems a bit harsh

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Obviously not

lol this has allready been said xD fail, shows how much u follow everything thats being said.. oh wait trolls dont care about whats being said and just say random offencive stuff..

Whiplash1212
07-24-2011, 01:42 PM

I'm not fat it's water retention from the steroid abuse.Probably explains my micro-penis at least.

Good to know if u punchure ur arm a bunch of air comes out of it.

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:45 PM

still waiting for a link to where I slagged him off

I don't neeed no steeking links.

What do think this is, Watergate.

You know you did wrong. Now apologise like a decent human being.

KFlint
07-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Ok, it's enough for now, take a break guys.

KFlint
07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Break is over, you may continue. :happy:

duke0102
07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Apologise for what? You know I've not done anything and you are making it up.

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:48 PM
OK mum. Seriously fuck off and take a step back.

I'm only winding him up. That's what happens here. Where the fuck were you?

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:49 PM

:doh:

chalice
07-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Apologise for what? You know I've not done anything and you are making it up.

You're sick mate.

Idol was right when he called you a paedophile.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Idol was right when he called you a paedophile.

In fairness I'm only repeating what the police said.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 02:13 PM
lol this has allready been said xD fail.

In all seriousness I haven't a clue what you just said .Is it Dutch like?

chalice
07-24-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm bookmarking this one. It has legs.

Here is a hook.

Duke, your mum sucks cocks.

Here is a rod.

Now what the fuck are you gonna do about it?

Duke, now apply that to this thread and my comments thereupon.

Also, the next time you come in here labouring under the misapprehension that anybody gives a fuck about C&P's or anything fucking else pertaining to filesharing, think thrice, you monkey.

There are swamps on this board and you just fell into one. Continue to thrash if you like but it won't do any good.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 07:44 PM
See chalice I told you not everyone in Canada has a sense of humour.

Adjust ur glasses.

I don't wear glasses,I prefer to squint because I think it makes me look like a young Clint Eastwood.

Uve been here 9 years and all u got in 3 friends xD lmao

Newsflash I have 70 odd listed and at least another dozen deleted and of those maybe 3 or 4 might be actual friends.
Btw of those 3 or 4 I constantly struggle not to hate at least 4.

KFlint
07-24-2011, 08:26 PM
See chalice I told you not everyone in Canada has a sense of humour.

No, it's limited to you and rodeo fans.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Explain the clowns then.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 09:46 PM
All Germans are grim,coldblooded megalomaniacs.

Sorry I meant cool.

KFlint
07-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Polarbear is funnier than most clowns.

Now, sorry but I have to go buy some DVDs, plenty of them.

KFlint
07-24-2011, 09:48 PM
You can see posts before I make them, you must be some kind of chaman :O

iLOVENZB
07-24-2011, 09:50 PM
http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/specials.php?id=0
http://www.thehut.com/dvd/offers.list
http://www.mightyape.com.au/Movies/Specials/

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 09:59 PM
You can see posts before I make them, you must be some kind of chaman :O

You'd think so wouldn't you but it's all smoke and mirrors like the Amazing Kreskin or Marky Mark.
I just consider the most insipid, least funny thing that anyone in the long history of civilization could possible utter and there is a high probability that will be the next thing posted. So you see I'm really more of a scientist than a magician.

mjmacky
07-24-2011, 10:12 PM
I saw that this thread suddenly got a bunch of posts and I was hopeful...

Then I saw it was a U17 competition, quite disappointing

Anyways, I hate DVDs, so I'm not contributing to the DVD sales. I used to rent and sometimes "buy" from Zune, but their download speed started dropping like 3 day old flies so I stopped using their service (from my XBOX 360). It's been more than half a year since I've ripped DRM from a video file from Zune, so I don't even know if the method works any longer.

IdolEyes787
07-24-2011, 10:25 PM
I saw that this thread suddenly got a bunch of posts and I was hopeful...

Then I saw it was a U17 competition, quite disappointing

Anyways, I hate DVDs, so I'm not contributing to the DVD sales. I used to rent and sometimes "buy" from Zune, but their download speed started dropping like 3 day old flies so I stopped using their service (from my XBOX 360). It's been more than half a year since I've ripped DRM from a video file from Zune, so I don't even know if the method works any longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s

mjmacky
07-24-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s

I didn't think Christian Bale was all that great in this movie either

IdolEyes787
07-25-2011, 12:52 AM
I dunno I thought he did a reasonable job of playing an overweight Black woman.

mjmacky
07-25-2011, 01:37 AM

I expect the stereotypical generalizations of overweight black women to have more personality than that

iLOVENZB
07-25-2011, 08:19 AM

I expect the stereotypical generalizations of overweight black women to have more personality than that

He hasn't had his fix for chicken and watermelon yet. Gosh!

chalice
07-26-2011, 10:49 PM
The movie and music InDustry have been trying tO portray fiLe Sharers as criminal pirates and parasites who steal billions of dollars from the indUstry in lost sales. In order to strengthen their argument, the MPAA and RIAA Commissioned a number of studies that would investigate the negative effects pirates cause to their sales. Ironically, the studies proved the exact opposite, and they had to shut up about it while repeating their usual accusations.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2918/johnnydepppiratesofthec.jpg

The whistle was blown by an unnamed GFK employee who told German webSite, Telepolis, a study conducted by GFK on beHalf of the moviE industry found that pirates typically download illegal Copies of movies to try-before-they-buy. The study Also found that pirates buy more legit DVDs than the average user and they visit the movie theater more, especially for opening WeeKend releases which typically cost more to attend.

The study concluded that movie pirates are more interested in movies and that they spend more money on movies than most people, making them the industry’s best customers.

Unfortunately, the unnamed client who commissioned the study decided against it getting published. Not very surprisingly, the reason given for canning the study was that its findings are “unpleasant.”

It is worth noting that an unrelated independent research conducted earlier this year has found that anime piracy and streaming in Japan increased DVD sales.

Source:http://www.megagames.com/news/movie-industry-buries-study-results-pirates-buy-more-dvds-average

Reading the bold type, I'm confident that we can all see what your agenda really was, you sick genius spastic.

IdolEyes787
07-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Is "the cawk" meant as a generalization or are his he talking about one specifically because I'd hate to be portrayed as a slut.

chalice
07-26-2011, 11:17 PM
The as in the, mate.

Hope that helps.

IdolEyes787
07-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Remarkably little .

Btw I've been running to this (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/435319-sch**ost***-request?p=3599862&viewfull=1#post3599862) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWkSjlyw0Zs)and I think I'm about a minute a mile faster if you discount the time spent assaulting random strangers.

a7x
07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
This message is hidden because chavis is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

Cool features.Made my day :happy:

:happy: