PDA

View Full Version : Is file sharing going to end today?

cola
07-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Is it safe to download today? I figured we could all get in one more day until the business week starts tomorrow. I hope file sharing doesn't die today on July 1st. :fear:

Maybe we should see who is the last file sharer in the US.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57397452-261/riaa-chief-isps-to-start-policing-copyright-by-july-1/

http://filesharingtalk.com/content/1652-BitTorrent-Crackdown-Center-Prepares-to-Punish-Pirates

dkplayaclub
07-01-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm shaking in my boots. I will continue to do things as I have for years. This is just another in a long line of attempts to curb "piracy". Personally, I am not against buying movies, music and games, in fact I do often. I also happen to have several TB of stuff on my home PC. Maybe one day they will shut down everyone's internet and throw a ton of people in jail and still see no increase in their profits. The truth is, the pirates will always stay one step ahead and these jerks are only going to drive more customers away with their pushy tactics. Is it our fault that they didn't appropriately change their business model to cope with the new market?

cola
07-01-2012, 05:19 PM
I'd like to go on record that I too am not against buying movies, music, and games... Just in case a certain someone is reading this.

Hole69
07-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I'll go on the record and say that piracy will never ever stop, doesn't matter if its 2012 or 3012, long after a lot of us are dead and buried. There will be always be distribution of files, period. You can't slow it down and you can't stop it. And anyway this current waste of time will achieve nothing. Torrents will not go away, and the rich pigs are not interested in Usenet as its still on the fringes and DDL is dead or dying. The result? Ripping off poor pirates instead of trying to think of better alternatives.

sandman_1
07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Mostly applies to BT. I will keep getting my shit from Usenet and won't think twice.

cola
07-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Looks like the ISPs will be monitoring everyone.

http://dottech.org/tech-news/28447/isps-in-the-usa-to-start-monitoring-customers-downloads-starting-july-1-2012/

dkplayaclub
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
BOOOOO! HISSSSSS! I am with sandman here. I think torrents will be on the back burner for me (at least for anything newer or even remotely popular). Now all I have to do is figure out usenet. LOL. I laugh but I'm not joking. Just started playing around with some free trials today. It outlived every other fad so I guess it's a good place to start. :)

Hole69
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
If something is on (public) torrents its very likely its in the bowels of usenet somewhere. Just use any free indexer to dig it up. I'd also subscribe to nzbmatrix but only as a free user (don't bother paying), as you can use their titles as reference for binsearch or mysterbin or nzbclub. I'd recommend Astraweb's current $96/yr offer to begin your usenet odyssey.

megabyteme
07-03-2012, 11:09 PM
The ISPs are likely to be loking at known hash files, and it won't matter if you are getting the files from Usenet, BT, or your grandmother. A hash is a hash.

ISPs have seen everything (if they cared to look) we have transferred all along. They just haven't taken on that burden. With all of the scams that have been pushed on unsuspecting downloaders, this is an all-in-one, under-the-same-roof racketeering scam. I'm looking into VPNs right now, but until then, I'm limiting my downloads.

I'm hoping the courts will (not accept huge bribes) stand up against the largest wiretapping scheme the world has EVER experienced. Lay low and see what happens once people start getting hit with notices. If you get one yourself, post its content so that others can see what is getting monitored, and what is being left unobserved.

manker
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM
What good is a VPN going to do if they're looking at hashes.

Unless you're planning to connect to your VPN before you connect to your ISP. Which is, of course, impossible.
My advice is to just download stuff you're actually going to watch. Or if even that seems like too much of a risk, don't download copyrighted material at all. It isn't worth the worry if it will cause you more discomfort than actually paying for it would.

I'm just going to carry on as I always have done, pretty much. Altho' I'm from the UK and I don't think it's as big of a deal over here.
Mind, my ISP blocked tpb in the last day or so :eyebrows:

mjmacky
07-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't know what you're trying to say other than your ISP uses a van to carry internets information. That's old school

P.S. ask them if I can borrow their van.

manker
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
You can have it after me.
Might have to clean the empty wrappers out, though.

anon
07-04-2012, 12:13 AM
The ISPs are likely to be loking at known hash files, and it won't matter if you are getting the files from Usenet, BT, or your grandmother. A hash is a hash.

If they're going to bother to collect the many different hashes (or equivalent) associated with copyrighted material across popular filesharing networks and protocols, that might be a possibility.

Unless you're planning to connect to your VPN before you connect to your ISP. Which is, of course, impossible.

It is indeed possible to use DPI to decrypt certain kinds of encryption on the fly, and analyze the raw contents. However, like megabyteme, I hope think large scale usage of such mechanisms by ISPs would prove impractical for the time being, due to the required processing power - hence a VPN should provide acceptable security. But that's all theory.

I'm just going to carry on as I always have done, pretty much. Altho' I'm from the UK and I don't think it's as big of a deal over here.

There's a couple of reverse proxies created specifically for the purpose of unblocking TPB, and of course you can also use regular ones.

manker
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM
If they're going to bother to collect the many different hashes (or equivalent) associated with copyrighted material across popular filesharing networks and protocols, that might be a possibility.

It is indeed possible to use DPI to decrypt certain kinds of encryption on the fly, and analyze the raw contents. However, like megabyteme, I hope think large scale usage of such mechanisms by ISPs would prove impractical for the time being, due to the required processing power - hence a VPN should provide acceptable security. But that's all theory.

There's a couple of reverse proxies created specifically for the purpose of unblocking TPB, and of course you can also use regular ones.Yeah, I just meant that the UK ISPs are starting to do stuff rather than pay lip-service. Which is a new thing.

As to the encryption, I didn't realise that VPNs all did that. I've used them before and had assumed it was a service that you could have but that you didn't necessarily get. But, fuck, it's great if it's standard. And what you say about ISPs decrypting data does seem particularly unlikely at this stage.
Or any stage, really.

anon
07-04-2012, 12:30 AM
As to the encryption, I didn't realise that VPNs all did that. I've used them before and had assumed it was a service that you could have but that you didn't necessarily get. But, fuck, it's great if it's standard.

For the original purpose of a VPN, i.e. connecting to a remote private network using the Internet merely as a sort of ultra-long network cable, encryption is optional although encouraged. For a commercial service, it is probably the selling point.

manker
07-04-2012, 12:38 AM
As to the encryption, I didn't realise that VPNs all did that. I've used them before and had assumed it was a service that you could have but that you didn't necessarily get. But, fuck, it's great if it's standard.

For the original purpose of a VPN, i.e. connecting to a remote private network using the Internet merely as a sort of ultra-long network cable, encryption is optional although encouraged. For a commercial service, it is probably the selling point.Yeah. I guess it is.
The selling point for me, although I used a free version, was to obfuscate my IP more reliably than a proxy so I could still troll participate in discussions on forums that had, very harshly, banned my black arse.

This has actually been something of a theme regarding my VPN experience over the eons.

cola
07-04-2012, 03:23 AM
Remember that default cipher on OpenVPN is Blowfish. It's still in use, but you should make sure whatever VPN provider you're using provides something a lil stronger.