PDA

View Full Version : 20MB/s speed which newsgroup should i buy?

ynotrhyme
05-14-2013, 06:01 PM
hey yall! Im using tweaknews free trial and it is nowhere near 20mb/s.... it fluctuates around 15mb/s. Anyone have any good recommendations of a newsgroup carrier that is solid on 20MB/s speeds? Thanks guys!

update... I just started trial for supernews and its hitting 23MB/s.... im liking this, on 30 connections... Hows supernews with takedowns? Is there another provider yall like for price and 20mb/s speed? Oh yea, supernews is like 12 a month, unlimited gb and speed I think.

thanks

tasker12
05-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Im on 1gbit in sweden and pull around 50-90MB/s from newshosting, 40-60MB/s from supernews and astraweb was like 25-40MB/s. So I all of those should work for you depending on your routing. I only use newshosting now.

ynotrhyme
05-14-2013, 08:04 PM
thanks for the info!

didn't newshosting have problems with takedowns? I remember having it back in the days and takedowns hit it kinda hard. how much u pay for newshosting?

hows ur experience with supernews and takedowns if any?

update... im also noticing on supernews that when the download gets near the end when there is around 15 files left the speed gets horrible. Like around 3-6 mb/s... is this a problem with all servers? Is there a server that is 20mb/s even when there is a only a few files left to the download?

DngrMs
05-15-2013, 11:55 AM
You (seem to) keep interchanging megabits per second (Mb/s) and megabytes per second (MB/s) - since it makes such a big difference and territoriality either could be valid, which do you mean?

If you're downloading at 23 megaBYTES per second then you're downstream connection is like 250 megaBITS per second which isn't very typical for a consumer connection.

I have a 120Mb/s (bits) connection and my provider will saturate that with 12 connections which gives me just over 10MB/s (bytes) effective download.

If you really do have a 250mb/s connection you may need to use two providers in parallel to keep it maxed, I wasn't aware of any that offered this type of speed (but haven't researched particularly hard). In fact Supernews say "over 100mb/s" which is unlikely to mean "250mb/s".

So, back to my questions - bits or bytes? If you're talking "bits" then almost any provider will meet your expectations.

Broken
05-15-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm curious about your general location.

I use tweak and have no problem maxing out my 30 Mbps connection, here in Cincinnati.

tasker12
05-15-2013, 04:55 PM
I was talking about Megabytes/second, 1000Mbit, and I find the main difference in speed between the providers is the amount of connections allowed. I bought the 9,99 dollar/month account with 50 connections and VPN which is available at some occasions. The VPN-speed is another issue, but I don't expect much there either, 2-3MB/s is max. Takedown wise I believe that pretty much any provider has the problem. I use sickbeard for series and auto-fetch with np. Movies are usually not the problem.

Consumer connections in sweden are usually 100mbit>,
e.g. cable https://www.comhem.se/comhem/bredband/-/5622/5622/-/index.html
e.g. Fiber:http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/bredband/hastighet/viabredbandsuttag/bredband1000/index.html

DngrMs
05-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Most providers won't allow sufficient connections to saturate a 250mbps link (~28MB/s) - I don't know of any.

As to the OP's question, if he's talking about megabits per second then his expectations are low enough (20mbps) to be satisfied by any provider. "Yes" most providers will give you that easily.

As tasker12 points out 20mbps is quite low in large parts of Europe and Asia.

ynotrhyme
05-15-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm curious about your general location.

I use tweak and have no problem maxing out my 30 Mbps connection, here in Cincinnati.

Puerto Rico, tweak is 8 connections correct on the 20mbps, FvCK, i just noticed im on the trial which is 8 threads 20mbps. im noticing its a solid 20mbps..... which one u on? the fast option? that has more connections? It seems pretty cheap. like 95 for the year.

You (seem to) keep interchanging megabits per second (Mb/s) and megabytes per second (MB/s) - since it makes such a big difference and territoriality either could be valid, which do you mean?

If you're downloading at 23 megaBYTES per second then you're downstream connection is like 250 megaBITS per second which isn't very typical for a consumer connection.

I have a 120Mb/s (bits) connection and my provider will saturate that with 12 connections which gives me just over 10MB/s (bytes) effective download.

If you really do have a 250mb/s connection you may need to use two providers in parallel to keep it maxed, I wasn't aware of any that offered this type of speed (but haven't researched particularly hard). In fact Supernews say "over 100mb/s" which is unlikely to mean "250mb/s".

So, back to my questions - bits or bytes? If you're talking "bits" then almost any provider will meet your expectations.

sorry yes i meant 20mbps

I was talking about Megabytes/second, 1000Mbit, and I find the main difference in speed between the providers is the amount of connections allowed. I bought the 9,99 dollar/month account with 50 connections and VPN which is available at some occasions. The VPN-speed is another issue, but I don't expect much there either, 2-3MB/s is max. Takedown wise I believe that pretty much any provider has the problem. I use sickbeard for series and auto-fetch with np. Movies are usually not the problem.

e.g. Fiber:http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/bredband/hastighet/viabredbandsuttag/bredband1000/index.html

which one is 9.99 month with 50 connections the two links u sent? One is all in swedish, kinda hard to read lol... i can subscribe to these?

Hypatia
05-15-2013, 07:57 PM
I could get stuff at 55+Mbyte from Astraweb. But i was using VPS. And it was 'sitting" in the Netherlands so it was real close to AW servers.
Routing \distance does matter.

ynotrhyme
05-15-2013, 07:57 PM

DUH! i thought these were newsgroup subscriptions. HAHHAHAHAHA WOw u guys have lightning fast internet for a beautiful as$ price! Lucky you. Im paying 75$ a month for 20mbps in puerto rico, rape prices.

justlooking
05-15-2013, 08:02 PM
SunnyUsenet is a real deal at less than $48 US a year for 20mbps , if you can find a way to pay, because no PP or CC for them.

ynotrhyme
05-15-2013, 08:08 PM
91.81$ for a year for 50mbps and 30 connections sounds pretty awesome, from tweaknews. Any cheaper ones? I doubt it but ill ask. Just in case.

SunnyUsenet is a real deal at less than $48 US a year for 20mbps , if you can find a way to pay, because no PP or CC for them.

You have it, is it solid? Speed wise. Any fluctuations? I checked it out its sending me an email for bank transfer. I wonder how the whole bank transfer thing works. Anyone else heard of sunnyusenet? I think twice when dealing with bank transfer type deals. Thanks man!

DngrMs
05-15-2013, 08:55 PM
91.81$ for a year for 50mbps and 30 connections sounds pretty awesome, from tweaknews. Any cheaper ones? I doubt it but ill ask. Just in case.

[SunnyUsenet]

You have it, is it solid? Speed wise. Any fluctuations? I checked it out its sending me an email for bank transfer. I wonder how the whole bank transfer thing works. Anyone else heard of sunnyusenet? I think twice when dealing with bank transfer type deals. Thanks man!

Both of those are good deals, depends what you need. I have 120mbps for US$85 a year with 12 connections. The numbers of connections you need depends on the size of their slots. Those 12 connections for me saturate but on other providers I need 20+. I have 50 with Astra... seems indulgent to me. No, you can't use my provider.

If your bank supports SWIFT or IBAN transfers (and they really should) then you can put money in just about any bank in the world for a few dollars, you just need the destination account number.

justlooking
05-15-2013, 09:21 PM

It's a Euroaccess reseller. They're very true to the speed you pay for, although there's no guarantee there won't be a bottleneck in South Carolina or wherever if you're a long distance from The Netherlands. They allow account sharing too, so you can split the cost with someone. I've never used a bank transfer though, it's too foreign for a North American.

http://www.usenet-providers.net/newsgroup-resellers.php

ynotrhyme
05-16-2013, 05:10 AM

It's a Euroaccess reseller. They're very true to the speed you pay for, although there's no guarantee there won't be a bottleneck in South Carolina or wherever if you're a long distance from The Netherlands. They allow account sharing too, so you can split the cost with someone. I've never used a bank transfer though, it's too foreign for a North American.

http://www.usenet-providers.net/newsgroup-resellers.php

You lost me with the bottleneck thing, what do you mean by that?

Also when you guys say saturate you mean use up the maximum speed of your connection? Sorry for my noobness.

Do you guys think a 20mbps speed is better off with a 20mbps plan or 30mbps? I ask cuz I was wondering if maybe the 30mbps will really max it out more than the 20mbps? I say cuz I sort of noticed supernews trial which was over 20mbps kind of gave me more speed than tweaks trial of 20mbps. Thanks you guys Are really helpful.

id do the bank transfer for sunny but i have no clue how to hahahaha, anyone know what the hell im supposed to do?

DngrMs
05-16-2013, 11:53 AM
A 'bottleneck' is congestion or bandwidth limitation somewhere in the route to your computer. Basically anything can really only go as fast as the slowest link. If you're connected to an overloaded local exchange (for example) you may never be able to achieve the theoretical maximum speed.

Don't pay for what you can't use is my philosophy here. If your home connection is 20mbps then you don't need a 30mbps usenet account, just get a 15 or 20mbps one and be happy that you're close to your max. If you buy based on "speed" not "connections" then you shouldn't have to worry, most providers will arrange the suitable number of connections for the speed levels they offer (100mbps may be 12 connection on one provider but 20 connections on another - the ratio is provider specific).

ynotrhyme
05-18-2013, 07:57 AM
A 'bottleneck' is congestion or bandwidth limitation somewhere in the route to your computer. Basically anything can really only go as fast as the slowest link. If you're connected to an overloaded local exchange (for example) you may never be able to achieve the theoretical maximum speed.

Don't pay for what you can't use is my philosophy here. If your home connection is 20mbps then you don't need a 30mbps usenet account, just get a 15 or 20mbps one and be happy that you're close to your max. If you buy based on "speed" not "connections" then you shouldn't have to worry, most providers will arrange the suitable number of connections for the speed levels they offer (100mbps may be 12 connection on one provider but 20 connections on another - the ratio is provider specific).

I think ima just go with tweaknews cuz the whole bank transfer thing with sunny is shady . DO you guys know if i can sell off my current tweaknews 10mbps subscription which has like 8 months left here?

Thanks

St0ry
05-18-2013, 07:05 PM
I pretty sure you can just upgrade your existing account. Email them.