11-21-2003, 12:55 AM
I have trouble installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 on a amd athlon xp 2600 with a
asrock k7 mainboard. I used this distr. on a similair pc before without any
problems. the errror message i get is;
hda: lost interupt
hda: lost interupt
and then it kills
Anyone know what the problem could be
I know it has something to do with my bios settings but i cant put my finger on it.
I would be realy thankfull if someone could help me out

4play
11-21-2003, 01:09 AM
try making sure that dma is switched off not sure how to do this with mandrake. maybe a command line install and playing with the kernal settings will let you.

bogaaa
11-21-2003, 02:22 AM
tnx dude it worked

4play
11-21-2003, 02:26 AM
cool thought it might. still no dma is bad :(

http://blacksun.box.sk/tutorials.php/id/51

have a bit of a play with that tutorial hopefully you might be able to get it working.

bogaaa
11-21-2003, 03:29 AM
naa i already fixed it, seemed to hava a confilict beetween dma and pci core, but its fixed now

Hunted
11-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Is Mandrake Linux free?

balamm
11-26-2003, 10:00 PM
htttp://linuxiso.org

Use a reliable downloader and check them before you try to install.

Most releases have a free version.
They usually also have a boxed set available that includes limited tech support for a price.

Hunted
11-27-2003, 06:17 PM
How do I install Mandrake?
I downloaded all of the CDs and burned the ISO image.
And, I made the bootdisk floppy.
But, it kept saying the installation failed
can someone help me out here?

4play
11-27-2003, 06:33 PM
press del when your computer boots and go into the bios and change the boot sequence to boot your cd-rom first.

then whack the first cd into your cd-rom and restart the pc it will install then.

balamm
11-27-2003, 07:37 PM
Yeah, mandrake no longer needs the boot floppy on most PC's.

Just don't choose too many packages when you first install or you'll run into problems. You can add what you want after it's installed. When you choose the update mirror during install, there are a few that are notorious for dropping out. don't worry about it, just go into the control center later and pick what you need.

Hunted
11-27-2003, 10:20 PM
I could not get into BIOS, I rebooted it, and hit delete, when do I puch del?
When I first start up I get a DLL error.. before Windows Boots
(something wrong with C:\Windows\System32\Hal.dll )

=Edit 1=
I got into BIOS

=Edit 2=
Thanks, it is working :)

=Edit 3=
I think it worked, but it asked for a CD called Installation CD 2, but none of them were named that.

=Edit 4=
Lol, alot of edits, hehe

IT WORKED!!!
Thanks!
Dude... this is cool!!

Hunted
11-27-2003, 11:28 PM
I know, don't double post, but I have some questions.

Question 1:
How do I set up the web server?

Question 2:
Can I install Yahoo! Messenger?

Question 3:
How can I have more than 1 OS on my PC?

4play
11-27-2003, 11:40 PM
1) i would go to http://www.apache.org/ and get the latest http server it has instructions to install. but you can probably install it off the cds through the control center.

2)i think kopete or gaim should be able to connect to the yahoo network. again look on the install cds for it.

3)you need to install a bootloader so you can chose which os to start when you first boot. grub is much better then lilo for this. should be on the install cds.

i would go here (http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html) and read all the lessons there they will be a massive help towards using linux.

Hunted
11-28-2003, 12:17 AM
Alright, thanks :)

Does Kazaa Lite work with Mandrake?

4play
11-28-2003, 12:30 AM
you are meant to be able to run it with an emulator called wine but it sucks and i have never got it working with the latest k++ maybe an older version would be better.

there is a guide pinned in the development world last time i looked.

DL.
11-28-2003, 12:33 AM
You have linux :blink: you don't need kazaa.

Hunted
11-28-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by DL.@27 November 2003 - 20:33
You have linux  :blink:  you don't need kazaa.
I don't get it...

=Edit 1=
How do I get into the control center?

4play
11-28-2003, 05:03 AM
bookmark (http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fdoc.php3) this site it is now your new bible.

it should be in your start menu but i have never used mandrake before so i could be wrong.

balamm
11-28-2003, 06:12 AM
It should be on your task bar or up the start menu in configuration I think. There should also be an entry "administer your system" I think it says. Look in there.

4play, don't you wish you had shares in linux now! As copyrighted software I mean.

That's a lot of converts in the past few weeks.

Hunted
11-28-2003, 06:54 AM
I still cannot find the control center

balamm
11-28-2003, 06:55 AM
How about "what to do" ? Do you see that ?

Hunted
11-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by balamm@28 November 2003 - 02:55
How about "what to do" ? Do you see that ?
No, no I don't

balamm
11-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Ok, the icon just to the left of the lifesaver is the control panel. It'll pop up a window and ask for the root password when you click it.

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/Tutorial/KDE3/images/kdeTut2.png

Hunted
11-28-2003, 05:22 PM
That's not on my start menu or my task bar

I would take a screenshot, but I don't kow how, or have any image programs

4play
11-28-2003, 05:24 PM
yeah genarally i have only ever seen that on the root account.

press the big k and look through the menu it will be there in somewhere.

Hunted
11-28-2003, 05:30 PM
I've done that plenty of times. Also, I am the root account, well, I am the only account so far. How can I change myself to root?

4play
11-28-2003, 05:45 PM
when you login at the start use root as your username

Hunted
11-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Alright, thanks, I will try that

=Edit=
I did get into root, but my desktop was all red and I still did not have that on my start menu. There is a way to config I used before, but now it wont work, on my desoptop, there is something called "Welcome" and there, it has a thing that says I can edit services, but I cannot use it, because a file is missing.

Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/Configuration/Configure your computer.desktop does not exist.

I don't know anyother way

balamm
11-28-2003, 06:49 PM
You have a bad install or a bad copy of the ISO. You should have run the md5 checksum on it before using it.

Oh, and you shouldn't be using the root account alone. Create a user account with some elevated priveleges instead.

Hunted
11-28-2003, 07:03 PM
What is an md5 checksum?

And, how do I create tge user with elevated privaleges?

balamm
11-28-2003, 07:12 PM
running the MD5 against the downloaded ISO will give you a hash value. If it's not the same as the MD5 you got with the ISO, it's no good, too many errors.
During install you should have entered a user name. When you start and go into root, you can configure user permissions for that account that don't always need root access.

Hunted
11-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by balamm@28 November 2003 - 15:12
running the MD5 against the downloaded ISO will give you a hash value. If it's not the same as the MD5 you got with the ISO, it's no good, too many errors.
During install you should have entered a user name. When you start and go into root, you can configure user permissions for that account that don't always need root access.
I don't understand a word you said

Well, about the username/password i used, that is the one I use.

=Edit=
How do I use "MD5" or whatever

balamm
11-28-2003, 07:24 PM
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

http://www.linuxiso.org/

Hunted
11-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Too late now, I already installed the Linux, and wiped my HD clean, or should I just download the ISO's again and burn them to a CD?

What program should I use to burn an ISO with Mandrake?

balamm
11-28-2003, 08:46 PM
I would redownload them. Burn with Nero if you can. I haven't burned in mandrake yet, can't help with that.

Hunted
11-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Does Nero work with Linux?

balamm
11-28-2003, 10:08 PM
I don't think so. Look at E-roast or toast or whatever

Hunted
11-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Where can find E-Toast or E-Roast?
I did a search for it, could not find it. I did a Google and a Download.com search

balamm
11-28-2003, 10:43 PM
It should be installed by default if you chose the right install packages. Somewhere on the start menu.

shn
11-28-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by ZeroX9@28 November 2003 - 11:56
Alright, thanks, I will try that

=Edit=
I did get into root, but my desktop was all red and I still did not have that on my start menu.  There is a way to config I used before, but now it wont work, on my desoptop, there is something called "Welcome"  and there, it has a thing that says I can edit services, but I cannot use it, because a file is missing.

Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/Configuration/Configure your computer.desktop does not exist.

I don't know anyother way
First of all kde desktop sucks. With that version of kde that mandrake installs you will get the red background when you log in with root and some stuff will be disabled. Thats because that version of kde was developed to be a pain in the ass when people logged on the desktop as root. Thats so you wont get used to using it as root and youll log on with a regular user account instead.

Just open up a terminal or command prompt and type in "su" without the quotes and it will ask you for the root password. Then just type in the exact command for control panel or whatever and dont close the terminal window when it starts or it will close the app you launched as root also.

Use gnome instaed of kde or use icewm.

Oh and here is a cd burn software for gnome. Or if you have the gtk or gtk2 installed then you may still be able to compile it without gnome.

http://gnometoaster.rulez.org/

shn
11-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by ZeroX9@28 November 2003 - 16:14
Where can find E-Toast or E-Roast?
I did a search for it, could not find it. I did a Google and a Download.com search
Its not e-toast or e-roast.

They were refferring to x cd roast for the x window system. get it here

http://www.xcdroast.org/

Hunted
11-29-2003, 01:22 AM
How do I run GNOME?

I only have KDE and ICEWM

And, ICEWM, that is screwed up, my desktop does not show or anything

shn
11-29-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by ZeroX9@28 November 2003 - 19:22
How do I run GNOME?

I only have KDE and ICEWM

And, ICEWM, that is screwed up, my desktop does not show or anything
I you have gtk or galde 2 (gtk2) compiled on your mandrake system then just download the latest source and install it.

Or simply go to the mandrake control center and Im sure there is an option there to install gnome.

But make sure after you install gnome you find a mdk server/mirror to download and install the lates bugs and fixes for gnome desktop and its apps.

:)

Hunted
11-29-2003, 06:26 PM
To download GNOME, do I go to http://www.gnome.org ?
I went there, and I cannot find out what I download.

shn
11-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ZeroX9@29 November 2003 - 12:26
To download GNOME, do I go to http://www.gnome.org ?
I went there, and I cannot find out what I download.
Its best to use the mandrake control center under the packages section and select gnome to install gnome if you have your mandrake disk, rather than compiling the source yourself.

But if you must then you can get the source code here and compile it yourself. get ready for dependency issues if your not using the mandrake control center to install it.

http://gnome.org/start/2.4/

at bottom of page you will see download links for source.

balamm
11-29-2003, 08:11 PM
It would really help if you could grab a screen shot showing your start menu so we can tell you where to look or see what's missing. Look in the multimedia/graphics section if it's there and there should be a screen capture app. Upload the png or whatever and post it here.

Or just wipe that install and try it again. Maybe reinstall XP or whatever you have as the first OS and re download mandrake. Dual boot next time so you have a few more options. Just be sure to install windows first, on the first partition.

shn
11-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Keyboards are universal. :lol:

To capture a screen in Linux X Windows press the PrtScr (Print Screen) button and paste it somewhere just like you would in windows ;)

balamm
11-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Paste it somewhere ;)

He can't even find the control panel and you want him to paste it to... ?????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:P

How are ya Ashley? :)

shn
11-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by balamm@29 November 2003 - 14:33
Paste it somewhere ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How are ya Ashley? :)
Im fine balamm, and you?

:rolleyes:

Hunted
11-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by balamm@29 November 2003 - 16:33
Paste it somewhere  ;)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

How are ya Ashley?  :)
Um... I know how to get into it, but for some reason it is not on my start menu, neither is screen capture or whatever.

=Edit=
Yay! 200th post :)

=Another edit=
I want to reinstall Mandrake, but first, I want to know how to burn an ISO using mandrake so I can reinstall it.

*is thinking of going back to WindowsXP*