PDA

View Full Version : Windows Which Windows OS do you use, or most prefer?

1000possibleclaws
11-01-2013, 06:07 PM
I am curious as to how many of you guys have gotten used to Windows 8 since it's imo polarizing launch. Do you think it's worth installing on a reformat if I do not have a touchscreen monitor?

stan
11-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Wait for Windows 9.

anon
11-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I'll remain on 7 until Microsoft lets you turn grayscale rendering off. A search for "Windows 8 font smoothing" will show you what I'm talking about.

Skiz
11-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Didn't vote. I'm all over the place.

I've got Windows 8 on the main desktop. It was unbearable with that Start screen so I bought StartIsBack (http://www.startisback.com/)for $3.

Two HTPC's in the house still use Windows 7.

Laptop is a MBP so it has OSX obviously.

Stehle
11-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Yes, what many above said, as I'm just a 7 kinda guy. :)

(I repair a lot of pc's (desktop & laptop) equally....the real pain being is I never found an 8 system I could like.) :alien:

....It was unbearable with that Start screen so I bought StartIsBack (http://www.startisback.com/)for $3.

Yes, I do that for 9 out of 10 that vent their frustration to me.

Vestibule
11-01-2013, 11:40 PM
All Apple gear here... but I run snow leopard as my main OS as I don't like Lion, Mountain Lion and now of course Maverick... which is their latest offering... not sure what I'll do when I get left behind... my oldest daughter gave up on mac and bought her own PC just a few months ago happily running windows 7 ultimate...( for gaming and video editing ) ("blah blah blah Dad, my gtx 660 graphics card and my i5 processor kicks ass... blah blah blah) My Apple days seem numbered.:(

Skiz
11-02-2013, 12:43 AM
I'll remain on 7 until Microsoft lets you turn grayscale rendering off. A search for "Windows 8 font smoothing" will show you what I'm talking about.

That was another one of the reasons I left FF. :dabs:

All Apple gear here... but I run snow leopard as my main OS as I don't like Lion, Mountain Lion and now of course Maverick... which is their latest offering... not sure what I'll do when I get left behind... my oldest daughter gave up on mac and bought her own PC just a few months ago happily running windows 7 ultimate...( for gaming and video editing ) ("blah blah blah Dad, my gtx 660 graphics card and my i5 processor kicks ass... blah blah blah) My Apple days seem numbered.:(

They're numbered alright. My girlfriend was running Leopard on her iMac and iTunes no longer works with that version. I had to update allllll her shit. Took about 4 hours of downloading and installing updates. You're almost there.

What's not to like about Mavs? I've got it on the laptop and it's fine.

Vestibule
11-02-2013, 12:59 AM
Honestly have only read about Mavs... no first hand knowledge... pretty sure my music software won't run on it though... I'm comfy with Snow...:happy:

anon
11-02-2013, 03:01 AM
That was another one of the reasons I left FF. :dabs:

With Firefox you have Anti-Aliasing Tuner (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/anti-aliasing-tuner/) to use ClearType-style smoothing, or even none at all while enjoying hardware acceleration. On Windows 8 and/or IE 10 and above, text looks like a drenched newspaper (at least in my LCD screen) and it's essentially take it or leave it - disabling font smoothing under special effects doesn't affect everything.

Skiz
11-02-2013, 04:58 AM
FF may have it now, but it didn't at the time. Somewhere on this board in the old $20 fred there's a bunch of us bitching about it.

Windows 8 looks the same as Windows 7 BTW. This is from two screenshots I just took. They're identical down to the very pixel. :huh:

http://i.imgur.com/touQnje.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Sy9vI4o.jpg

mjmacky
11-02-2013, 08:42 AM
my oldest daughter gave up on mac and bought her own PC just a few months ago happily running windows 7 ultimate...( for gaming and video editing ) ("blah blah blah Dad, my gtx 660 graphics card and my i5 processor kicks ass... blah blah blah)(

Your daughter has a real purty mouth.

Vestibule
11-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Well... she is 17... so she's too old for you...

anon
11-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Windows 8 looks the same as Windows 7 BTW. This is from two screenshots I just took. They're identical down to the very pixel. :huh:

You can turn it off in Windows 7, and then all parts of the UI will look sharp and aliased.

No such luck in Windows 8, where several parts of the system (titlebars, Metro apps, etc.) will keep on using smoothed fonts no matter what.

Skiz
11-02-2013, 06:19 PM

You can turn it off in Windows 7, and then all parts of the UI will look sharp and aliased.

No such luck in Windows 8, where several parts of the system (titlebars, Metro apps, etc.) will keep on using smoothed fonts no matter what.

Oh, wait... you like the fonts non-smoothed with those hard edges. You fucking crazy rebel, you. :wacko:

anon
11-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Oh, wait... you like the fonts non-smoothed with those hard edges. You fucking crazy rebel, you. :wacko:

Gee, thanks. :happy:

piercerseth
11-04-2013, 06:04 AM
W7 64 and a guest OS here or there. The Metro ui makes me want to cut myself.

I like your spartan win2k theme anon, have you played with any alternate font renderers like gdipp, etc?

anon
11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
have you played with any alternate font renderers like gdipp, etc?

I tried MacType on Windows 8.1, but even with everything turned off, text still looks blurry.

BlaBlaNew
11-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm waiting for a good,trusted way to activate windows 8/8.1,until then 7 is doing fine.

megabyteme
11-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm waiting for a good,trusted way to activate windows 8/8.1,until then 7 is doing fine.

I believe this is called irony as Micro$oft already offers one. :mellow:

IdolEyes787
11-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Hypocrite.Like you trust Microsoft.

megabyteme
11-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Hypocrite.Like you trust Microsoft.

Well, they are predictable in their loathsomeness. That's something, right?