PDA

View Full Version : Stuff I watched recently...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Stehle
06-26-2020, 05:39 PM
Bingeing on... "Twilight Zone" Season 2 Not too shabby... if your into stuff like that as I am. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs1W2kVnZNA

(Might try Jon Stewart's "Irresistable" after.) :alien:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vhaAoSm1NY

Caballero
06-26-2020, 08:22 PM
I'm actually looking forward to that Eurovision movie... Sad, but true. :)

shaina
06-27-2020, 12:56 AM

I am trying to think who won it in 2018 and who hosted it 2019 ;)

I do remember watching both seasons for some reason tho.........

dion09529
06-28-2020, 04:43 PM
House Hunters-Returning to Coronado Island

IdolEyes787
06-28-2020, 04:46 PM
House Hunters-Returning to Coronado Island About the only reality show I can stomach anymore is Forged in Fire because all the others are so fucking fake.

Stehle
07-03-2020, 11:45 PM

It wasn't half bad Cab, we both enjoyed it. :)

(She's a bit of a Will Ferrell freak, so I just said Ron Burgundy and some Other Guys were in it.) :alien:

Caballero
07-04-2020, 03:22 PM
Oh, it was pretty decent for what it was... Probably even funnier if you recognized all the past Eurovision winners/participants that had cameos in the movie. :)

Watched Inside Man (2006) with Denzel Washington yesterday. Solid performance, as usual.

Stehle
07-04-2020, 07:42 PM
She agreed! ... got the Independence Day (1996) Extended movie on the cue... and it's sequel!

(At aboot 49gb... each, but most definitely worth it! Bestuh both worlds!) :alien:

Caballero
07-11-2020, 03:26 PM
Trackers (Cinemax, 6 eps.)

Was pleasantly surprised by this show. Not quite in the footsteps of Banshee, but a pretty well-paced spy/anti-terror thriller with some story turns I did not see coming.

Also: Greyhound

I guess Tom Hanks has become the go-to expert for WW2 movies... Not sure it was quite what I expected (it seemed a bit slow-paced at times), but overall I liked it. And it's under 90 minutes, so you could watch it without any unnecessary bathroom breaks. As I get older that is definitely a plus. :)

Stehle
07-11-2020, 05:44 PM
Trackers (Cinemax, 6 eps.)

Was pleasantly surprised by this show. Not quite in the footsteps of Banshee, but a pretty well-paced spy/anti-terror thriller with some story turns I did not see coming.

Also: Greyhound

I guess Tom Hanks has become the go-to expert for WW2 movies... Not sure it was quite what I expected (it seemed a bit slow-paced at times), but overall I liked it. And it's under 90 minutes, so you could watch it without any unnecessary bathroom breaks. As I get older that is definitely a plus. :)

Yeah, that Greyhound was a bit of a sleeper... but passable for a Friday afternoon... yes so it seems. The ex was work'in and came in at the end (she's not big on WW2 movies), and said, "That Tom Hanks can float my boat anytime!".

Looks like I might try that Trackers and The Old Guard for tomorrows movie day. May throw in Palm Springs if it rains (cooler temps) and she behaves.

(We both like women action heroes.) ;) :alien:

Caballero
07-11-2020, 05:54 PM

In that case I'll give you my review after I have watched "Warrior Nun". :)

Stehle
07-11-2020, 06:10 PM

In that case I'll give you my review after I have watched "Warrior Nun". :)

Looks like a hoot! :lol: Looking forward to it! :)

Caballero
07-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Warrior Nun (Netflix, 10 eps)

Well, that was... not what I expected. I thought this was going to be some silly Kung Fu-style series, but except for the last 10 minutes of the last episode... not so much. Somewhat slow-moving, especially the first two episodes. Still have not figured out the significance of all players. Still, there was just enough "there" there to keep me watching. All in all I don't think I wasted seven hours, but let me just warn you that the ending is somewhat disappointing.

Then again, the whole first season seems to be the setup for what I thought the show would be and what it hopefully will be if there is, in fact, a season 2.

Oh, word to the wise -- I watched the ION10 release which does not have subtitles (mp4 not mkv). While the show is in English, there are a few episodes where there is substantial Spanish or Italian dialogue. You may want to search for English forced subs to enhance your viewing pleasure.

Stehle
07-12-2020, 11:54 PM
Thank you for the in-depth review Cab! "The Old Guard" was decent enough, but it got very hot, so she watched "Palm Springs" by herself and said it was, "Okay." . ;)

(I think she has become addicted to Penny Dreadful series.) :alien:

Caballero
07-13-2020, 01:28 AM
J'Accuse (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2398149/) (2019)

Polanski film about the Dreyfus affair. Actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Three thumbs up.

megabyteme
07-13-2020, 06:54 AM

Polanski film about the Dreyfus affair. Actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Three thumbs up.

When you said, "Dreyfus affair", I immediately thought, "Why would anyone care about Richard Dreyfuss getting a little side action?"

Goddamnit, American public education system!!!

IdolEyes787
07-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Thank you for the in-depth review Cab! "The Old Guard" was decent enough, but it got very hot, so she watched "Palm Springs" by herself and said it was, "Okay." . ;)

(I think she has become addicted to Penny Dreadful series.) :alien:The Old Guard was OK. Where it fails is in not using the long stretches between action pieces to better flesh out the characters. That and again pretending that some waif (Nile) is some badass warrior while proposing literally no reason why she should be. This isn't sexist. Guys like The Rock, it's an assumption by his appearance. If on the other hand it's a 110 lbs girl then I need some other reason to buy into it.

Also watched The Outpost. It's good if you don't mind that a fairly accurate portrayal of army life is going to include a lot of scenes of people killing only time.

Caballero
07-13-2020, 01:05 PM
When you said, "Dreyfus affair", I immediately thought, "Why would anyone care about Richard Dreyfuss getting a little side action?"

Goddamnit, American public education system!!!

Well, that's why I linked to IMDB. :)

IdolEyes787
07-13-2020, 01:07 PM

I'm firmly in the boycott anything made by convicted pedophiles who flee the country to avoid justice camp.

Stehle
07-13-2020, 03:48 PM
I think she think she confuses the "Perry Mason" (PM) series with "Penny Dreadful" (PD) series... I told her tomorrow (Her day off.) we could watch the latest PM, but she calls it PD... she said,"...the old timey L.A. one?" I said, "Yes, the period* piece." She sez, "yes...there was a lot of blood." :rolleyes:

(Now in her defense... one takes place in I believe 1928 and one in 1938 the sets are very similar if not the same. Except were date able... autos, clothing, etc.) :alien:

*I'm not certain, but I think she thought I was referring to a menstrual cycle. :unsure:

EDIT: Whenever she see's me staring at the FST screen she asks me... If I'm laughing yet.

Stehle
07-14-2020, 04:39 PM
Watched "Outpost" yesterday... it was sad in many ways... as most films of that genre are, but also uplifting. Also a true story to boot.

(With the ex called into work on her day off, perhaps I'll finish bingeing on "Homeland" before there's no homeland left to binge on.) :alien:

IdolEyes787
07-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Cursed(2020) Arthur is now black? It's only problem because it's an obvious distraction and as such therefore most probably only put there to fill some woke agenda. Mary Stewart's The Last Enchantment which I love, this most certainly ain't.

Also rewatched The Outpost after reading an article on it. The way the camera work was handled to create intimancy in the battle scenes is absolutely stunning. That and Caleb Landry Jones' performance is award worthy.

Stehle
07-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Cursed(2020)...

I just watch for it for Viking's "Floki" (Gustaf Skarsgård) sure a Cursed (2020) character, but still a powerful actor and director to keep an eye on.

(Yeah, just missing my misguided boat builder.) :alien:

IdolEyes787
07-17-2020, 05:09 PM
I thought it was him. Still, even with his estimable presence, I couldn't make it all the way through the first episode. Utter shit.

dion09529
07-17-2020, 05:39 PM
Germany's Next Topmodel

IdolEyes787
07-18-2020, 02:38 PM
Gay men should be the last ones to determine what women wear.

megabyteme
07-19-2020, 09:52 AM
Gay men should be the last ones to determine what women wear.

I refuse to be lured by low-hanging fruit. :noes:

IdolEyes787
07-19-2020, 01:00 PM
Your lips may be saying no but your eyes are telling me yes.

Stehle
07-19-2020, 02:29 PM
Started bingeing out on "Brave New World" as I revisit the novel. Yeah, there's a moral in there somewhere... BUT the eye candy is distracting and pleasantly welcome. :)

(Think GOT with modernized visuals, but definitely sci/fi. If you could watch that you'll probably enjoy this.) :alien:

@Idol ...there's probably something in there for you too.

IdolEyes787
07-19-2020, 04:18 PM
Code for boobs. I read the source novel a long time ago and can't remember anything about it other than for an alleged sci-fi it was seriously lacking in jedis.

Stehle
07-20-2020, 04:45 PM
Hmm… we watched last weeks “Perry Mason” and then I’d like to say she said, “I want more ‘splosions!”, but that was not the case. So, I went to the vault as she didn’t feel like a film, we had so many that she frowned at… instead selected some old episodes of “Strike Back” Season 8 we had not seen and we watched episode #5… by episode #6… well it was Amazing Stories "Dynoman and the Volt" instead.

I will try to rewind the day so you may see what has prompted me to call attention to it now.

We began our day with a family discussion, I made a few calls after, was asked what was on my mind and actually recounted what I wrote and experienced in that post to a non FST member… how it was plaguing me and how I may get gone with it. Write I was told. So here it is.

Okay, call me insane, a head case, as I feel that way at times, but the last month or two that shit I wrote about 3 months ago has been popping up in my conscience incessantly. I still don’t know what it means, but I hopes this puts it to rest.

On (Date included.) I wrote…

===

03-23-20, 01:24 PM

Sunday's fare included ... "The Current War" - Directors Cut and "Amazing Stories" Season 1 Episode 3 .."Dynoman and the Volt"

Both were enjoyed by us both!

(Now... I never believed in coincidence but, both have something to do with electricity... after the first movie...I heard a loud knock on the door in the 3D world having to do with electricity... long story... anyway we then watched the second show .... the title's... mama always said, "Everything has a reason.".... Just haven't figured it out yet. Dunno... but I think something else is in the works.)

Edit: You Never REALLY Know.

====

Now, you can deluge me with ridicule. I would have done this eventually as I felt I was supposed to.

Is it just some metaphysical mumbo jumbo? Is it just mislabeling an episode? Electricity? I still don’t know, but here it is. Hopefully it will end this.

Caballero
07-20-2020, 09:14 PM
When was the last time you could see or touch electricity? It's just a giant hoax, I tell you. Probably Chinese (measured in W, you know, like Wuhan). And you fell for it. Sad.

Stehle
07-21-2020, 12:46 AM
When was the last time you could see or touch electricity? It's just a giant hoax, I tell you. Probably Chinese (measured in W, you know, like Wuhan). And you fell for it. Sad.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. I just had a feeling. I did what I needed. Things are much better now. In fact "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" was a bit of a hoot earlier. Happy. :)

Stehle
07-22-2020, 03:05 PM
"The War of the Worlds" (1953) A classic... definitely enjoyed by us both! The ex had never seen it and I only saw it in B&W in the '60's! :thumbsup:

Updated Dialog...

("What are you going to say to them?"... "Welcome to California...wear a mask!) :alien:

dion09529
07-24-2020, 07:43 PM
At the Hospital | Funny Episodes | Classic Mr Bean

MathewK9999
07-25-2020, 09:35 AM
I enjoyed watching Inside Man..thanks for posting about it, it's been awhile since watching it, I'll probably be watching it again real soon..

Stehle
07-27-2020, 01:58 AM
Sunday movie day fare... "Swallow" not what I expected... l should have listened to the ex.

Tovi42
07-27-2020, 07:15 AM
Watched Greyhound and Palm Springs recently, two completely different themes. Greyhound was ok, nothing which blew my mind. Palm Springs was good, a good laugh :-), I was surprised about that one, since I didn't know what to expect

megabyteme
07-29-2020, 03:29 AM
Sunday movie day fare... "Swallow" not what I expected... l should have listened to the ex.

IKR...class action suit for false advertising

dion09529
08-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Food.And.Wine.Adventures.Romania.S01E01.HDTV.x264

Olivier Magny and Jenny Powell travell to northern Transylvania, in the historical region of Maramures and Crisana. They visit the Merry Cemetery in Săpânța, the Chestnuts Festival in Baia Mare and other places and taste the authentic romanian cuisine like urda cheese and palinca (a strong alchoholic drink).

IdolEyes787
08-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Been watching Perry Mason(2020). The story is a bit hit or miss but Matthew Rhys(Perry), Chris Chalk(Paul Drake) and Juliet Rylance(Della) are terrific.

Caballero
08-04-2020, 11:01 PM
Just finished the second season of Condor. The ending felt a little rushed, and the story arc probably would have benefited fro an extra episode or two, but all in all...

The first season was better.

IdolEyes787
08-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Just finished the second season of Condor. The ending felt a little rushed, and the story arc probably would have benefited fro an extra episode or two, but all in all...

The first season was better. Giving saison one a shot based on your recommendation and the trailer not having any trans people in it.

Edit. First episode was good but the second one left me wondering if a series can generate the amount of constant forward propulsion a story like this needs.

Stehle
08-05-2020, 05:19 PM
Binged out yesterday on "Trackers" we both enjoyed it! :)

(Thanks again Cab for the spot on review!) :alien:

We both kinda agree* with Idol and now that "Perry Mason" has taken his rightful seat, we avidly are waiting for the last episode of this season.

*Parish the thought!

deesgp
08-05-2020, 06:09 PM
I binged watched all the marvel movies in chronological order and enjoyed it

Stehle
08-05-2020, 09:17 PM
Watched a film that was flagged by a friend on the streamer called "Mortal" (2020)... at first I thought it was just Firestarter-ish science fiction film with electricity, but it turned out to be a decent way to spend an otherwise boring Wednesday afternoon. Great Norwegian visuals too. :)

(What would we do without science fiction in cinema... ) :alien:

IdolEyes787
08-12-2020, 10:57 PM
Finished both Season 1 of Perry Mason and Condor. I enjoyed both but their season finales, well each failed to deliver the kind of conclusive ending that their stories deserved so I felt a little let down. Mason's was better as it at least was somewhat in line with the noir vibe the show's been trying to rep. Condor's seems rushed and the hero not having much of a say in what happened was unsatisfying. Also I agree with Caballero, too many deaths by at least one. They did a pretty good job of establishing characters and relationships and then they kept tossing them away.

Caballero
08-13-2020, 02:17 AM
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373469/)

Watched this one by accident; I think I really meant to watch "Snatch". Still, for some odd reason I had not watched it before and I was pleasantly surprised. Robert Downey Jr. is a decent actor when he's not drunk.

Stehle
08-13-2020, 04:31 PM
Mason's was better...

Yeah, we both enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2. :)

Caballero
08-13-2020, 04:34 PM
Little Birds (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9849190/)

Avoid at all costs.

Stehle
08-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Sunday Movie Day... "The One And Only Ivan" (2020) Great Disney film for all ages! :) (Based on true story also.)

Subtitle Monday... "Cut Out" will get you by the booboo if you read fast! Luved it! :happy:

(I wonder if I can be a pathologist when I grow up...) :alien:

"Spunik" was decent scifi, but ended poorly IMHO.

Caballero
08-24-2020, 10:35 PM
^^ Or you could watch "Cut Out" on audio track #2. No reading required. ;)

Spent the weekend with a bunch of classics. The Italian Job (1969) (one of the few times where the remake is better); Bullitt (1969) (can't go wrong with Steve McQueen), Coogan's Bluff (1968) (remembered/expected more from that movie) and The Magnificent Seven (1960).

Comfort food, I guess.

IdolEyes787
08-25-2020, 12:48 PM
Spent the weekend with a bunch of classics. The Italian Job (1969) (one of the few times where the remake is better); Bullitt (1969) (can't go wrong with Steve McQueen), Coogan's Bluff (1968) (remembered/expected more from that movie) and The Magnificent Seven (1960).

Comfort food, I guess . Been a long time since I've seen either version of The Italian Job but I do remember liking the first and not the second.
I don't think there is a bad McQueen movie( OK maybe the Towering Inferno). They're not all up to the level of The Great Escape or Papillon but even Tom Horn isn't terrible. For something similar The Seven Ups is pretty good. Same producer also did The French Connection.All three contain big car chase scenes. Other decent movies with big car chases To Live and Die in L.A ( William effing Peterson) and Ronin. Actually To Live and Die in L.A is probably the best car chase I've ever seen is you discount the slow car chase from Way of the Gun's awesome quirkiness.

Coogan's Bluff sucketh. Way too measured in it's pacing and two parts just don't work together. For Eastwood I'd try The Eiger Sanction. Not great but has great parts. I want to say Where Eagles Dare because it's just so much freaking fun but I hate repeating myself.

Stehle
08-25-2020, 03:53 PM
Coogan's Bluff sucketh...

In so many ways! ;) Picture a young lady friend on the island of Nassau, we both had berths on the docked S.S. Rotterdamn. "Wanna seyuh movie?"... "Sure" {pops bubble gum} :)

(Found out what darkened balconies were really for... Ahh sweet memories... the Summer of '69...) :alien:

We both had seen the film first run. :innocent:

@Cab... Just found it now in a audio sub-menu as my Ex wanted to watch it after I posted this. Worth it! Thanks again ! :)

IdolEyes787
08-25-2020, 04:35 PM
My roommate, first year of university was from Nassau. Closest I've ever been to the Bahamas, I'm afraid. He use to regale me with tales of sharks and barracudas (sharks - cool, barracudas - flee for your life) and how his Aunt owned the house where they filmed part of Thunderball. The house apparently was the only one with both a fresh and a saltwater pool that they needed for the movie. He also smoked a lot of the ganja as he called it.

Stehle
08-25-2020, 05:41 PM
...He also smoked a lot of the ganja as he called it.

"I saw trash cans full of it... couldn't figure a way to get any on board the ship back then."

(More misspent youth shite... I really don't care for it a whole bunch now.) :alien:

Btw... select quick scenes from The One And Only Ivan (Mall) etc., Edward Scissorhands (Mall), The Natural (Robert Redford) (stadium), and others were filmed 8 to 10 or so miles from the farm.

megabyteme
08-25-2020, 07:12 PM
Ahh sweet memories... the Summer of '69...) :alien:

Sounds like fun! What year was that, btw?

IdolEyes787
08-25-2020, 07:53 PM
I just read that Sean Connery turned 90 today. They grow up so fast.:(

Caballero
08-25-2020, 08:09 PM
I just read that Sean Connery turned 90 today. They grow up so fast.:(

To celebrate I just watched The Wind and the Lion (1975) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073906/).

IdolEyes787
08-25-2020, 09:47 PM
One of my favourite scenes from one of my favourite movies. Give me a young Michael Caine over pretty much any other actor but Connery outdoes him here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DDLyNS9rxw

Stehle
08-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Couldn't wait... just mini-binge'ed the first 2 episodes of "Lovecraft Country"...I like it! :) Anyone else watch it?

(Vampire creatures and wizards oh my!) :alien:

IdolEyes787
08-28-2020, 01:34 PM
Couldn't wait... just mini-binge'ed the first 2 episodes of "Lovecraft Country"...I like it! :) Anyone else watch it?

(Vampire creatures and wizards oh my!) :alien:I've thought about it but and this might be racist on my part, I have a hard time relating to black characters who aren't The Rock.

Stehle
08-28-2020, 08:13 PM
Okay, I get it. So we can cross Michael Clarke Duncan off the list then.

(Wait! Next you'll say he's is an American actor!) :alien:

IdolEyes787
08-28-2020, 08:17 PM
I've searched my heart and Denzel Washington is OK too.:)

megabyteme
08-28-2020, 10:08 PM
I just did a search and discovered that there's *more* than 5 black actors. :O

Did anyone here know that Will Smith is listed as black? Possibly just a typo...

BTW, I believe we can all agree that James Earl Jones' voice is okay to add to the list

Stehle
08-28-2020, 10:53 PM
Touché! ;)

Stehle
08-29-2020, 02:49 PM
R.I.P. Chadwick Boseman

185144 185145

Stehle
08-29-2020, 07:49 PM
"Bill and Ted Face the Music" (2020) ...after viewing the original film a few weeks ago.... we both enjoyed it. :)

(Makes you feel like a child again... yet a bit older. "Party on dudes!") ;) :alien:

IdolEyes787
08-29-2020, 10:40 PM
R.I.P. Chadwick Boseman

I was really shocked and saddened to learn that he died. Didn't know he'd been battling cancer.

megabyteme
08-30-2020, 06:14 AM
R.I.P. Chadwick Boseman

"Sorry I had a fight in the middle of your Black Panther party."

IdolEyes787
08-30-2020, 12:30 PM
Life is like a box of chocolate and eventually everyone's is going to be empty.

Cubbie
08-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Ava (2020) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8784956/)

Caballero
08-30-2020, 09:59 PM
Was watching "Basic (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264395/)" (2003) last night.

I hate Travolta with a passion, but goddammit, his movies are for the most part enjoyable. Or maybe it's just Samuel L. Jackson who made it bearable...

Stehle
08-30-2020, 10:45 PM
Sunday Movie Day... "The War With Grandpa" (2020) ...maybe ya just need to be a grandpa (or ma), but it was one of the funniest films we have seen all year! :)

IdolEyes787
08-31-2020, 01:06 PM
Was watching "Basic (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264395/)" (2003) last night.

I hate Travolta with a passion, but goddammit, his movies are for the most part enjoyable. Or maybe it's just Samuel L. Jackson who made it bearable...

Personally I'd rather see Tom Hardy play John Travolta than John Travolta play Tom Hardy.

The Last Castle (2001) Kinda mediocre movie with a kinda great cast who outside of Redford are playing against type.

megabyteme
08-31-2020, 10:42 PM
I hate Travolta with a passion, but goddammit, his movies are for the most part enjoyable.

This is exactly how I've been describing Travolta for years. He somehow falls into good roles and then doesn't entirely f- them up. Success!

Caballero
09-01-2020, 12:15 AM
Tom Cruise falls into the same category. Must be something about Scientology.

Stehle
09-12-2020, 06:22 PM
Took on all of Season 1 of "Away"... good feelings on Mars...

(Science Fiction, Future Fact, Drama, Family (Coming of age.)???... Not sure, but a nice story.) :alien:

dion09529
09-13-2020, 05:01 PM
https://www.facebook.com/mundonipo/posts/3923200044362142

Stehle
09-21-2020, 03:05 PM
Binge'ed out the whole first season of "Ratched" for Sundays movie day and a good time was had by all. I was quite impressed :)

(Interesting story line... viewing the past film "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" may give an insight to the main characters calculating development... how she evolved, but is not necessary IMHO. Sarah Paulson amongst a few other outstanding actors... well think... American Horror Story, less horror, but a chilling ride nonetheless!) :alien:

Caballero
09-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Actually just started watching "Ratched" myself. Wanted to watch it with my better half, but she was less than interested halfway through the first episode, so I guess it will be late-night viewing after she has gone to bed. ;)

She has never seen Cuckoo's Nest either, so she had no idea who Nurse Ratched is...

But then we started watching "Teenage Bounty Hunters" last night. Two episodes in, it's a fun show that made us laugh. Don't expect anything deep or any Emmy nominations, though. And coincidentally, episode 2 contains a reference to Nurse Ratched, so at least that joke wasn't wasted on this particular audience.

--> https://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/tv/webdl720/256189-Teenage-Bounty-Hunters-S01-720p-NF-WEB-DL-DDP5-1-Atmos-x264-NTb

Stehle
09-21-2020, 03:28 PM
Got the link, thanks again... we'll give it shot... she likes comedies. ;)

Next up for me is the first 4 episodes of "Raised by Wolves"...I swear I can't get enough of Travis Fimmel from "Vikings" fame... another can't wait! :)

(I DO like me science fiction!) :alien:

IdolEyes787
09-21-2020, 05:34 PM
I'm a simple man. Simple as uncomplicated, not simple like dion. All I ask from my entertainment is that there is no Ryan Murphy involvement.

Stehle
09-23-2020, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I thought about it... I wouldn't want to buy his crummy house either... :sadwalk:

(WHOA!... I'd buy that for a dollar!) :alien:

"The Devil All the Time" (2020) ...decent twisting story well narrated by author as well. :)

Caballero
09-23-2020, 07:33 PM
Did I mention "The Duchess" yet? Six short episodes, lots of bad language yet less vulgar than "I'm Sorry". The wife enjoyed it.

--> https://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/tv/webdl720/255937-The-Duchess-S01-720p-NF-WEB-DL-DDP5-1-H-264-NTb

IdolEyes787
09-25-2020, 09:29 PM
One of the all time great Westerns. I could and have watched it again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8sQKRugB4s

Ulysses
09-25-2020, 09:58 PM
Cold Courage is a series set in London. A right wing campaign versus a white knight off the grid outfit. Shows underbelly of London and People/Politics. Pretty well done

I also tried Ratched. I thought it started slow but am enjoying it more with each episode. Can't quite figure where on the morality scale Ratched fits, or if she is just insane like everyone else.......... Not for the squeamish

Caballero
09-25-2020, 10:38 PM
Today's releases include:

Tehran (still not dubbed, but at least decent subtitles).

Deutschland '89 (third and final season of Deutschland '83).

Just in time for the weekend.

Ahmed047
09-27-2020, 05:45 PM
My first Korean movie and sure wont be the last, excellent and original.

https://youtu.be/SEUXfv87Wpk

IdolEyes787
10-02-2020, 08:28 PM
The Walking Dead: The World Beyond episode one.

Unbelievably awful. It's like they took everything that bothers people about woke Hollywood shit and put it in one program.

Caballero
10-03-2020, 01:24 AM
Fast-forwarded through that Emily in Paris show this morning. Seems like a decent date night series if you need to score points with the missus without suffering too much yourself...

Caballero
10-04-2020, 05:22 PM
The Doorman (2020).

It was 90 minutes long. And you did not have to think much/at all.

Jean Reno's career clearly is not on an upward trajectory.

Stehle
10-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Watched NeXt (2020) this morning... scared the shit out of me! :shutup:

(OMG!...Unplugged all the WiFi devices... doing router and modem next, but it may be too late for

Caballero
10-05-2020, 07:02 PM
Finally finished all three seasons of "4 Blocks".

Best described as the German equivalent of "Sons of Anarchy", only more realistic and no motorcycles. Basically the story of a Lebanese family/clan that "owns" the drug trade in Berlin. Not necessarily based on but very much inspired by true events and circumstances.

Not sure if there is an English-dubbed version, but if you can make through "Tehran" reading subs this should not be difficult either.

megabyteme
10-06-2020, 08:50 PM
I don't remember Nicholas Cage being so scary...

Watched NeXt (2020) this morning... scared the shit out of me! :shutup:

(OMG!...Unplugged all the WiFi devices... doing router and modem next, but it may be too late for

Stehle
10-07-2020, 02:44 PM
I don't remember Nicholas Cage being so scary...

You so funny! :lol:

IdolEyes787
10-07-2020, 08:47 PM
I tried to watch Enola Holmes because I like Mike Holmes and Katie Holmes and Larry Holmes and figured it had to be something like that. Big mistake. Nothing like those at all. More like Rupert Holmes.

megabyteme
10-10-2020, 03:54 PM
I tried to watch Enola Holmes because I like Mike Holmes and Katie Holmes and Larry Holmes and figured it had to be something like that. Big mistake. Nothing like those at all. More like Rupert Holmes.

You could have just told us you love John Holmes, we all knew what you meant anyway

IdolEyes787
10-10-2020, 06:58 PM
I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

megabyteme
10-10-2020, 11:55 PM

Fill your hands...you son of a bitch! :wank:

Ulysses
10-11-2020, 08:31 AM
Watched all the Bourne movies again. Got to be the best franchise for best chase scenes.

IdolEyes787
10-11-2020, 01:29 PM

Fill your hands...you son of a bitch! :wank:

You're short on ears and long on mouth.

Caballero
10-13-2020, 03:18 PM
Been binging on Ted Lasso the last two days... Surprisingly good show, even if you are not into soccer/sports.

IdolEyes787
10-13-2020, 07:56 PM
Been binging on Ted Lasso the last two days... Surprisingly good show, even if you are not into soccer/sports.

I consider Cristiano Ronaldo getting the COVID a direct sign from God that I shouldn't watch anything soccer related. :mellow:

Get thee behind me Satan Caballero.

Caballero
10-13-2020, 08:09 PM
^^So have we established now that you are a catcher and not a pitcher?

IdolEyes787
10-13-2020, 08:41 PM
You blaspheme, oh great blasphemer.

sallysparr0w
10-21-2020, 04:41 PM
Doctor Who

Stehle
10-23-2020, 08:22 PM
"Rebecca" (2020) ...decent period piece... great visuals... quick mystery. Well enjoyed, time well spent for us. :)

IdolEyes787
10-23-2020, 08:46 PM
"Rebecca" (2020) ...decent period piece... great visuals... quick mystery. Well enjoyed, time well spent for us. :)

The original is considered a classic. Hitchcock, Olivier, Best Picture Oscar. remaking it with inferior talent is about right for 2020.

Caballero
10-24-2020, 01:53 AM
Gotta go with Idol on this one... Both Rebecca and The Witches remakes are said to suck big time compared to the originals.

Stehle
10-24-2020, 02:28 PM

The original is considered a classic. Hitchcock, Olivier, Best Picture Oscar. remaking it with inferior talent is about right for 2020.

Okay... We had not seen the originals. :( The ex doesn't want me to delete The Witches one until I get the classic one now. I'll keep me eye out for the other 1940 classic though. Thanks! ;)

(Things have changed a bit for me since the ex lost her job sometime ago (Long story... Covid related), so... {sigh}... having a shadow 24/7 has been... well an issue I must say. Gotta keep the peace tele wise.) :alien:

Routine is key, she loves NeXt, Tehran and Third Day, mild horror (Helstrom), but science fiction films or cable shows (Lovecraft, etc.) are my thing never were hers. Mysteries, , comedies, mysteries... she always loved her Agatha Christie novels.

Caballero
10-24-2020, 04:11 PM
Okay... We had not seen the originals. :( The ex doesn't want me to delete The Witches one until I get the classic one now. I'll keep me eye out for the other 1940 classic though. Thanks!

See, as luck would have it, I just uploaded the original version of Rebecca a week or two ago...

https://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/movies/x264720/256739-Rebecca-1940-REMASTERED-720p-BluRay-X264-AMIABLE

1080p version is also available. :)

Edit: here you go with The Witches: https://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/movies/x264720/257432-The-Witches-1990-720p-BluRay-WAC-2019-x264-SiNNERS / https://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/movies/x2641080/257433-The-Witches-1990-1080p-BluRay-WAC-2019-x264-SiNNERS

IdolEyes787
10-24-2020, 07:04 PM
... she always loved her Agatha Christie novels. Me too. I have dog-eared copies of The ABC Murders and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd kicking around someplace. As a rule for Dame Agatha I like the books better than the movies or TV series. For Sherlock Holmes it's sort of the opposite, I like the TV series better than the books. I think this is mostly due to the casting.
l

(Things have changed a bit for me since the ex lost her job sometime ago (Long story... Covid related), so... {sigh}... having a shadow 24/7 has been... well an issue I must say. Gotta keep the peace tele wise.) :alien: "Life is hard and then you die" from Dempsey and Makepeace.

thewho
10-24-2020, 09:05 PM
Borat 2 -- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13143964/
:cool:

IdolEyes787
10-24-2020, 09:46 PM
Borat 2 -- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13143964/

:cool:

It left me underwhelmed maybe because outside of the daughter bit everything had already been done before. Cohan's best character is still Ali G because for the most part he wasn't trying to make some sort of social statement

Caballero
10-25-2020, 05:57 AM
Watched Borat tonight. Not great, but ok.

Friend of mine texted that she saw it tonight as well, but that she enjoyed half an edible before she started the movie. I need to ask tomorrow if that made it a better experience.

Stehle
10-25-2020, 05:15 PM
Okay... We had not seen the originals. :( The ex doesn't want me to delete The Witches one until I get the classic one now. I'll keep me eye out for the other 1940 classic though. Thanks!

See, as luck would have it...

Thanks again Cab, we appreciate it! :)

Idol, I'm onboard with tele Sherlocks too! Definitely Superior! :)

(Was raised on those old B&W Basil Rathbone films.) :alien:

@Cab Borat II?... gotta watch the edible intake... prolly no difference... save for anything better perhaps. ;)

thewho
10-30-2020, 03:14 PM
"The Queen's Gambit" - it is really good :)

dion09529
10-31-2020, 11:49 AM
Radioactive (2019)

Bread
10-31-2020, 01:09 PM
I'm watching Biggles from 1986 right now. Some not so well known time travel movie. It's not too bad despite it's unpromising imdb rating.

thewho
11-02-2020, 11:07 AM
3 Idiots (2009) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187043/ -- it is just like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966), but adapted in India - both good movies

Caballero
11-02-2020, 04:55 PM
Going back to the classics... Watched "Where Eagles Dare" over the weekend.

Can't go wrong with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton.

IdolEyes787
11-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Going back to the classics... Watched "Where Eagles Dare" over the weekend.

Can't go wrong with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton.

Fantastic movie. Like The Dirty Dozen probably couldn't remake it nowadays without ruining it by inserting some social issue or other.

megabyteme
11-02-2020, 10:02 PM
I keep expecting a modern remake of Blazing Saddles. After that Papillon skid mark, nothing is sacred.

IdolEyes787
11-02-2020, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I'm sure stuff like this would go over real big nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493pL_Vbtnc

megabyteme
11-03-2020, 02:40 AM
That's my point-- it would be stripped of anything that would upset anyone anywhere, and would star Seth Rogen and Kevin Hart.

Caballero
11-03-2020, 08:01 PM
As good a place to ask as any -- has anyone ever come across an English-dubbed version of "Betty Blue (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090563/)" (1986)?

I can only find German and the original French versions...

IdolEyes787
11-03-2020, 08:20 PM
According to it's media info, Betty.Blue.1986.Directors.Cut.1080p.BluRay.x264-PublicHD is English audio.

I wouldn't count on it 100% though as I've seen stuff mislabeled before. There's also the same in 720p

Container: Matroska
Runtime: 3h 4mn
Size: 13.0 GiB
DXVA: Compatible
Minimum settings: Met
Video
Codec: x264
Resolution: 1796x1080
Aspect ratio: 1.663
Frame rate: 24.000 fps
Bit rate: 9 425 Kbps
Audio
English 2.0ch AC-3 @ 640 Kbps

Caballero
11-03-2020, 08:49 PM
Hmm. PreDB doesn't even mention a PublicHD release; I only see NODLABS and KaKa.

I don't suppose you've got an NZB lying around anywhere?

thewho
11-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Hmm. PreDB doesn't even mention a PublicHD release; I only see NODLABS and KaKa.

I have this, how can I share it with you?

IdolEyes787
11-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Sorry but I don't use NZBs. I tried to wrap my tiny lizard brain around them but I decided using torrents and going to jail was preferable to whatever they are.

That's my point-- it would be stripped of anything that would upset anyone anywhere, and would star Seth Rogen and Kevin Hart. Too bad, The Rock definitely would have been Mongo.:(

Caballero
11-03-2020, 10:13 PM

Is it actually in English or is it French audio with English subs?

thewho
11-03-2020, 10:18 PM

Is it actually in English or is it French audio with English subs?

only french language available with english subs https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Betty-Blue-Blu-ray/248153/

I have dub in other languages only (not in english)

Caballero
11-04-2020, 02:47 AM
Thanks, but no sharing needed in that case. I can get the NODLABS director's cut if I want it, but I guess I'll just go for the German release. My German is marginally better than my French. ;)

Stehle
11-18-2020, 08:44 PM
"Greenland" on Sunday afternoon... (I think) ... decent film by both who watched. :)

(It's probably just me... but this would likely be a decent New Years Eve view to usher out 2020.) ;) :alien:

Caballero
11-18-2020, 09:44 PM
"The Queen's Gambit" - it is really good :)

Agreed. Just finished it last night; surprisingly gripping show, even if you are not big into chess.

Caballero
12-05-2020, 02:11 PM
Watched "Tenet" last night.

Confusing, but will not watch again to make more sense of it. The sound editing of that movie is atrocious; sound effects are too loud and voices are too low, so half the time you are straining to understand what the characters are saying.

IdolEyes787
12-17-2020, 03:22 PM
The Stand (2020) Episode One. One of my favourite books but man this adaption laid waste to it. Worst sin is probably changing the narrative structure and not allowing the story to unfold linearly. Everyone's got to be Chris Nolan now.

megabyteme
12-17-2020, 08:25 PM
Merriam Webster says: unfold: to open to the view : REVEAL especially : to make clear by gradual disclosure and often by recital

enfold: to cover with or as if with folds : ENVELOP

Both Merriam and Webster (the 80s kid who charmed the hearts of millions) think you are a dumbass. :lol:

IdolEyes787
12-17-2020, 08:36 PM
I got insulted by someone on the internet. Guess I'll have to kill myself because of the shame now.

Caballero
12-17-2020, 11:02 PM
Make sure you leave an ambiguous farewell letter with lots of Nietzsche quotes.

IdolEyes787
12-18-2020, 01:18 PM
Too late. I've already written it and gone with "Can you surry, can you picnic, whoa?". If I had thought of the Nietzsche thing sooner I would have gone with " And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you" for sure though.

As for my point about The Stand, a lot of the book is essentially a road trip so telling it out of order and spoiling the ending is really a poor choice creatively. ...And they all live happily ever after and now how they got to here.
Also they've removed all shading to the Harold character. In the book he does some terrible things but he's still essentially a tragic figure in the end.

megabyteme
12-18-2020, 10:07 PM
You're still alive?! :dry:

IdolEyes787
12-19-2020, 01:48 PM
You're still alive?! :dry: Only on the outside, Meg. Only on the outside. :(

Caballero
12-21-2020, 12:10 AM
Speaking of Staying Alive...

Watched "The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt9850386/)" last night. It was surprisingly good; I am almost ashamed to admit that I had no idea how many of their songs I knew without ever knowing it was them.

If you feel somewhat nostalgic, it's worth the two hours.

dion09529
12-21-2020, 01:21 PM
You Lucky Dog

Stehle
12-22-2020, 05:04 PM
I must agree with the knowledgeable on my verdict of "The Stand"... a mixed up mesh-mash of flash backs and out of order sequences. The ex never read the novel or watched any previous mini-series... so there is that... so we'll still watch.

(Do you're self a favor... read or if enough time has past re-read the novel.) :alien:

(My favorite novel of all time.)

[Crave a bit of decent horror/sci-fi after the 25th... try "Carrion Comfort" a novel by Dan Simmons]

Caballero
12-22-2020, 06:57 PM
Watched "The Flight Attendant" over the last week. Wife enjoyed it. I thought the ending was too constructed and rushed; plus there were side stories that did not seem to have any relevance to the main thread and distracted more than anything. I'll give it a solid 5 out of 10 (how's that for a ringing endorsement?).

At the end of the day, this really was less of a mystery or thriller and more a psychological deconstruction of the main character. if you don't give a crap about why she became a functioning alcoholic and does all the shit she does, my recommendation would be to avoid.

Stehle
12-24-2020, 06:24 PM
“The Midnight Sky”... Watched this... Sci-Fi, thriller, post-apocalyptic tale which can be poignant and sometimes sad, but offers a bit of hope for a far-off future. We both enjoyed it. :)

(Not a holiday movie, Actor George Clooney stars and directs, CGI is decent if not current state of the art. It was very cold this morning, so we gave it a go.) :alien:

Cued up all the old essentials for later today, tonight and tomorrow. My personal Favorite is the classic "It's a Wonderful Life". ;)

dion09529
12-27-2020, 11:14 AM
Man from Atlantis (1977)-Pilot Episode

Caballero
01-01-2021, 08:45 PM
Binged the second half of season 6 of "Vikings" over the last two days. I guess this was the end of the show? I get that they wanted to tie up whatever story arcs they still had out there, but this season was just one discombobulated mess. Not impressed.

Ulysses
01-01-2021, 09:08 PM
Binged the Swedish "Quicksand" on Netflix. Not as much a mystery as a critique of contemporary teens. Gripping and worth the six hours.

Caballero
01-03-2021, 06:30 PM
Power Book II: Ghost

I have to say, I liked this series. Fresh view on familiar characters, fast-paced action; I thought the story arc was more interesting than the last season of the original Power series. And apparently there will be a season 2.

thewho
01-05-2021, 01:36 PM
I liked these videos called timeline https://youtu.be/eE5Z7gDbgVA
it appeared out of nothing :happy:

RoSsoNeRI
01-08-2021, 08:45 AM
Sin City 2. It was awful compared to the first one.

IdolEyes787
01-08-2021, 02:05 PM
Anyone watched either Alice in Borderland or Sweet Home? I haven't yet and am just wondering is the high ratings are accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49_44FFKZ1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcH81Bzuxz0

shaina
01-08-2021, 04:02 PM
Anyone watched either Alice in Borderland or Sweet Home? I haven't yet and am just wondering is the high ratings are accurate.

I just took a peek on "TVMaze", and i didn't see Bruce Wee or is it Jet Wee listed as one of the actors?? So how good could it be:unsure:

Did you read the reviews here??

http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/50036/alice-in-borderland

http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/46570/sweet-home

qbio
01-10-2021, 12:01 AM
Binged the second half of season 6 of "Vikings" over the last two days. I guess this was the end of the show? I get that they wanted to tie up whatever story arcs they still had out there, but this season was just one discombobulated mess. Not impressed.

Got really fed up with the plot armour around Ivar and my watching petered off in early Season 6. Don't know why Hirst invested so much into him. Don't know if I can be bothered finishing it as Ivar annoys the hell out of me

Caballero
01-10-2021, 07:11 AM
Just binged "Lupin".

Good show, two thumbs up. Though clearly there will/must be episodes 6-10 at some point as well. I hate midseason cliff hangers on streaming shows.

IdolEyes787
01-10-2021, 01:04 PM
See worst dubbing ever comments which by the trailer seem accurate. Just curious, did you watch with subtitles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga0iTWXCGa0

Caballero
01-11-2021, 03:35 PM
I watched the German dub. They have more experience with that than Hollywood. And my German is marginally better than my French.

Fun fact, back in the 70s there was a British show called "The Persuaders" (with Roger Moore and Tony Curtis!) that flopped horribly, but actually achieved cult status in Germany because they completely rewrote the scripts when they dubbed the show. It was so successful that they used the German version as source for any other translations after that.

Caballero
01-13-2021, 05:49 AM
Coyote (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10279176/)

30-year veteran of the border patrol is forced to work for the Mexican cartel after he retires. Six episodes; bingeworthy.

Also: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/coyote-wants-break-down-u-s-mexico-border-stereotypes-says-n1253716

IdolEyes787
01-15-2021, 12:54 PM
News of the World (2020). Westerns should be The Good, the Bad and the Ugly not whatever mishmash of white liberal guilt this is suppose to be.

dion09529
01-29-2021, 09:58 PM
This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ZUJtwXyY4)

Filne
01-30-2021, 02:05 PM
La Manzana de Eva
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7388694/

Im still in shock :x

isaquebylde
02-02-2021, 02:25 PM
I just watched the Haunting of Bly Manor and its such a complete series.
A bit slow paced but has all the ingredients to make it eerie and creepy. No jump scares as such and a wholesome tv show in all.

Vishwas_22
02-04-2021, 07:59 AM
Arrival Movie. Kickass!

DrBakterius
02-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Just watched Dexter completely again. My all-time-favorite! I am looking forward to season 9 :happy:

shockaz
02-25-2021, 11:17 PM
Pandemic binge.... Almost through stargate sg1

Caballero
03-03-2021, 02:04 AM
We Children from Bahnhof Zoo (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13138972/)

Amazon series remake of the original movie from 1981 or thereabouts. Honestly not sure how I feel about it; it's just too clean. The original is about a teenage girl that becomes a drug addict and ends up prostituting herself to feed her addiction and showed her world in all its dirtiness. This one is just too... clean? Sanitized? Artificial? I don't know. I guess these days you can't make shows/movies anymore that show 14-year-olds having sex for money and shoot up and they have to whitewash the story. And definitely not with an actress that is actually 14 years old. It's a shame, because the book it's based on is actually a true story/memoir and this series is not doing it justice.

Watch the original (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt00082176/) if you can.

EDIT: IMDB has the full video of Siskel & Ebert discussing the 1981 film.

IdolEyes787
03-03-2021, 12:07 PM
I assume they replaced David Bowie with Billie Eilish.:mellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtqJxq2yck

Stehle
03-03-2021, 05:45 PM
"Debris"... somewhat entertaining. We both enjoyed it. Reminiscent of many sci/fy shows of the past.

(They float... so I'll give it a few more episodes to see where it goes.) :alien:

IdolEyes787
03-03-2021, 08:42 PM
(They float... so I'll give it a few more episodes to see where it goes.) :alien: We all float down here. Just because you're you.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esCjADNzOy8

Ulysses
03-05-2021, 08:07 PM
I tried watching the first episode of Wanda Vision........ Very tough to get through but I'll keep trying. I've heard it gets better........

Ulysses
03-17-2021, 07:33 PM
The Map of Tiny Perfect Things. Really enjoyed this lighthearted movie. Another play on Groundhog Day with a few different twists. Reliving the same day has almost become its own genre.

IdolEyes787
03-18-2021, 04:00 PM
Zack Snyder's method of directing with continual slo-mo shots is only slightly less annoying than either Michael Bay's or Paul Anderson's constant quick cuts.
At least with Bay and Anderson, no one is stupid enough to consider them good directors.

Zack Snyder's Justice League makes me wish for the heady days of any superhero movie not directed by Zack Snyder. But then again what do I know? I only have eyes and ears.:mellow:

Caballero
04-19-2021, 03:47 AM
The Comeback Trail

Don't consider it a complete waste of time, but given the names involved with this movie, I expected more.

Caballero
04-19-2021, 02:55 PM
The Courier

One and a half thumbs up. Good movie, I like the Sherlock Holmes guy, but the ending felt a little rushed. "Based on true events", but this is where they could have used a little more creative freedom.

IdolEyes787
04-19-2021, 03:50 PM
"Based on true events" means that something like this took place, just not necessarily like we're telling you it did. That's a lot of leeway. I mean they could have had Wynne fly away in a rocketship at the end and the film would have still been "based" on true events. As an example I'll use Lone Survivor. None of the stuff that takes place in the village actually happened. That's basically the whole third act. Still the movie itself is based on actual events. That's not being deceptive unless you're a moron.

Caballero
04-20-2021, 01:37 PM
Vegas (NZ)

Not sure about this one. After watching the pilot episode I guess it can be described as Mad Max meets Breaking Bad on the set of Sons of Anarchy/Mayans MC.

Ulysses
04-20-2021, 08:21 PM
Been watching The Nevers. So far I really enjoy it. Clever and funny dialogue (which unfortunately is rare these days), great cast and story. I won't say spoilers but it helps to have an appreciation for Fantasy and/or Science Fiction.

IdolEyes787
04-21-2021, 12:09 PM
I only watched the first episode of The Nevers but my opinion is that it's terrible and you assumingly suffered some sort of major head trauma as a child.

dion09529
04-24-2021, 04:20 PM
Crime Beat - canadian true crime doc.

laughs
04-28-2021, 12:00 PM
Sound of Metal and The Father

IdolEyes787
04-30-2021, 07:40 PM
Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021) Man, that was horrible. It's unbelievable that the same people behind the Sicario movies were behind this boring bs.

Caballero
04-30-2021, 09:29 PM
Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021) Man, that was horrible. It's unbelievable that the same people behind the Sicario movies were behind this boring bs.

Was it great? No. But it was arguably entertaining enough to pass a Friday afternoon. That may be a low bar, but... :)

---
The Mitchells vs The Machines

Thought it was a kid's movie, but I think I enjoyed it more than my daughter. Definitely a weird one, but in a good way. Would recommend it for a rainy afternoon.

megabyteme
05-01-2021, 07:14 AM

That's right...you're planning to be Inspector Chief Inspector some day.

dion09529
05-01-2021, 12:24 PM
Welcome back!

IdolEyes787
05-01-2021, 02:02 PM

That's right...you're planning to be Inspector Chief Inspector some day. I know dion is liar because there is no crime in Canada.

Was it great? No. But it was arguably entertaining enough to pass a Friday afternoon. That may be a low bar, but... :)

I don't mind an action movie being silly or "unrealistic" but Without Remorse struck me as just lazy movie making. I mean besides the total lack of any originality, they couldn't even be bothered to get the US uniforms correct. Granted it's probably all magnified by the weight of my own expectation seeing the other Amazon Tom Clancy series reeks so much of craftmanship and care.

megabyteme
05-01-2021, 10:17 PM
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/tom-clancys-without-remorse-film-review-2021

������ No exaggeration whatsoever. This sounds *horrible*!

Thank you, Dion ��

thegamerulez
05-10-2021, 10:52 AM
Watched Mortal Kombat. Really enjoyed the movie; though it really didn't make a lot of sense at times. But a brilliant reboot and I hope they green-light a trilogy.

IdolEyes787
05-10-2021, 11:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxnTms0dvkA

Caballero
05-11-2021, 07:11 PM
I had my doubts, not gonna lie, but three episodes in The Mosquito Coast on AppleTV (or wherever you stream your downloads from) is actually quite good. First episode started a little sluggish, but the second one more than made up for it. Third one was a little slower (by necessity of the story line) again, but they are not giving anything away about the rest of the season and really made me want more.

Got my recommendation.

IdolEyes787
05-11-2021, 10:03 PM
My idea of entertainment basically begins and ends with whether it makes me feel good with a big slice of happy ending so hard pass and this time not only because of Justin Theroux.

Stehle
05-12-2021, 02:40 PM
I had my doubts, not gonna lie, but three episodes in The Mosquito Coast on AppleTV (or wherever you stream your downloads from) is actually quite good. First episode started a little sluggish, but the second one more than made up for it. Third one was a little slower (by necessity of the story line) again, but they are not giving anything away about the rest of the season and really made me want more.

Got my recommendation.

I can't think of any recommendation that I have been steered wrong by you. :)

Checked them out with the streamer yesterday and they look good to me! Thanks for the tip! :)

My idea of entertainment basically begins and ends with whether it makes me feel good with a big slice of happy ending...

Again I have to agree give you a nod there, I would also like to add "based on true stories"... especially history where some lessons of life are learned, at times a good cry over some

sappy story... (ex's recent example "Together, Together")... animations (like "Soul").. plenty of others... last movie that had a twist was "Nobody" which for me was exciting as the action was

unexpected... plus I liked all the 'splosions! ;)

(Oh... and as you probably already guessed... "Ancient Aliens" for so many years, has been one of many of my favorite shows.) :alien:

IdolEyes787
05-12-2021, 04:33 PM
A happy ending means different things to different people. Dion for instance, thinks it's a happy ending when the last remaining co-ed is finally brutally murdered.

Stehle
05-12-2021, 04:41 PM
A happy ending means different things to different people. Dion for instance, thinks it's a happy ending when the last remaining co-ed is finally brutally murdered.

Dion may need to watch... "Promising Young Woman" a few times... perhaps for a cure? :noes:

dion09529
05-18-2021, 03:57 PM

Final Destination never been on my bucket list tho.

Caballero
05-18-2021, 06:05 PM
Spy City

Cold war spy drama in Berlin during the summer of 1963, right before The Wall went up (not the Pink Floyd production, that was right after the the wall came down. Worthwhile concert to watch, too, though). Easy six episodes to watch in one or two binge sessions.

Got my seal of approval.

PS: Some non-English dialogue (Russians speak Russian, frogs speak French, some German background noise). If you don't download/watch the dual-language/sub "German" version I uploaded, you may want to get some subs somewhere. In the great scheme of things it doesn't distract from the show if you don't, of course.

Stehle
05-19-2021, 02:22 PM
Spy City... Got my seal of approval.

Thank you... I'll check it out. :)

All in all it's been a pretty good week for tele viewing. :)

Faced with the choice of... "The Death And Return Of Superman" or "Buccaneers Girl" the ex went with Yvonne De Carlo... that's' entertainment or was. :)

(I was always a big DC Universe fan, but still watch Marvel Universe... back when comics were .10₵.) :alien:

IdolEyes787
05-19-2021, 03:28 PM
Back when comics were 10 cents, Marvel wasn't really much of a thing.

Stehle
05-19-2021, 03:56 PM
Back when comics were 10 cents, Marvel wasn't really much of a thing.

I really didn't get into them back then... Thinking on DC... had an "Action" comic I believe was #41 in my stacks... I was a big Superman fan! :)

IdolEyes787
05-21-2021, 05:04 PM
Army of the Dead (2021)

It says a lot that as a film it's even dumber and more poorly directed than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I30x5dMvcA8

Also, didn't movies use to have characters that I actually cared about at least a little?

Caballero
05-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Eat Wheaties!

Cute little ensemble movie, with a lot of names/faces I recognized from the small screen. Probably won't be nominated for an Oscar, but it's a fun date night movie or for a rainy afternoon.

https://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/movies/x2641080/265361-Eat-Wheaties-2021-1080p-WEB-DL-DD5-1-H-264-EVO

Stehle
05-24-2021, 03:35 PM
Weekend fare... "Army of the Dead"** (2021) was first... The Handmaids Tale (tele)... others... finished off with "Eat Wheaties!"... a good time was had by all. :)

(Truth be known the ex thought the opening credits on the first was perhaps a comedy film.) :alien:

** Given it's a Zack Snyder film many clips will end up on the editing room floor. I'm waiting for the four and a half hour version! ;)

Perhaps in the director's cut...

"On the roof top Lilly (The Coyote) de-heads the bag...

Scott asks, " Where are the rest and what about Martin?"

Lilly states... "Martin?... "You always were an asshole, Martin!"

Cuts minutes later to a nuclear blast.

...too close to "Aliens" scripted dialogue I know... but it fits. (Maybe) ;)

Caballero
05-24-2021, 06:20 PM
Alternating between Domina and The Irregulars at the moment.

First one has been described as "GoT goes to Rome"; not sure that's entirely accurate (not enough gratuitous sex), but give that it's based on real people, I guess the writers did not want to go too much overboard. Recommended if you are into historical stuff.

Still have not decided if I like the other series or not. I'm more into detective stories than the supernatural. Some things (like the Sherlock Homes franchise) should just not be messed with.

sitdowncomedian
05-25-2021, 10:50 PM
I've recently finished Doom Patrol seasons one and two. I can't recommend it enough. I've never read the comics and didn't know what to expect. It's a very nuanced oddity; lots of adult metaphor and subtext with childlike inventiveness. An antidote to the superhero team genre.

Stehle
05-27-2021, 05:42 PM
Spy City... 2 episodes a night for 3 nights... time well spent... thanks again! :)

dion09529
05-29-2021, 05:53 PM
Sophie Scholl

Caballero
06-05-2021, 11:34 PM
Binging Snowfall right now...

4 seasons/40 episodes -- that's like a long weekend, right?

Caballero
06-08-2021, 10:06 PM
The Misfits

Don't expect any Oscars or other awards, but it's mindless fun for 90 minutes on a lazy afternoon.

Clearly Pierce Brosnan's career has crossed its zenith.

Stehle
06-10-2021, 04:07 PM
Loki S1E1 meets Vikings S7E1 Wow... what a mashup! ...Long boats rowing in the South Eastern Mediterranean! ;)

(Could Floki land there without hallucinating new gods? Can time traveling Loki help him and issue in a stronger peace in the middle east?) ;) :alien:

Marvel Universe... anything you can imagine... on edibles....

IdolEyes787
06-10-2021, 04:10 PM
Loki s01e01(2021) It's OK. Not a huge fan of the superhero genre even though I'd be lying if I said some movies hadn't been immensely entertaining. Just hard to look past the over arching puerility of the whole thing. I think I give Loki like others a pass then on how well the actor(s) play the character more than in most cases, the story.

Stehle
06-10-2021, 04:17 PM
Just nods...

(...off.) :alien:

Owen Wilson do your best.

Caballero
06-12-2021, 07:00 PM
Infinite

I think it's safe to say that Wahlberg's career has jumped the shark.

NengDora
06-13-2021, 03:12 PM
just watch Elizabeth Harvest, kinda nice movie

Stehle
06-13-2021, 03:28 PM
Infinite

I think it's safe to say that Wahlberg's career has jumped the shark.

Indeed!... it was alright for a weekday afternoons diversion... lots of 'splosions, unique firearms, and of course the ever present CGI.. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

(I feel generous today.) :alien:

IdolEyes787
06-13-2021, 04:14 PM
Sounds like Highlander remade by chimpanzees high on meth. Speaking of a Highlander remake..... https://deadline.com/2021/05/henry-cavill-lionsgates-highlander-reboot-chad-stahelski-1234761916/.

The good news is Cavill has got to better than Christopher Lambert. The bad news is it's being done by Hollywood circa 2021.

Caballero
07-06-2021, 10:04 PM
Was binging Flack while I was away. Dark show, without giving anything away, both season endings are borderline depressing. But all in all worth watching.

Currently feasting on the final season of Bosch. Good stuff.

Stehle
07-06-2021, 11:46 PM
Peter Rabbit 2 (2021) ...the wee ones saw the 1st film... and a good time was had by all! :)

(Quite a few other new films were viewed earlier in the weekend, but that one made us all the most happy!) :) :alien:

Stehle
07-07-2021, 07:37 PM
Till Death (2021) ...starts off slow, but a decent thrill ride for a Wednesday afternoon. ;)

(Reminiscent... (very vaguely) ...of Stephen King's novel "Gerald's Game" and the film of 2017 with the same name.) :alien:

Caballero
07-12-2021, 06:56 PM
Binged the entire LOTR trilogy (extended versions, of course) over the weekend. That's what, close to 12 hours? I honestly can't say if I had ever done that before, and if I did, it must have been years ago... Not sure if I'll do the Hobbit next weekend or not.

Also saw Black Widow on Friday. Not impressed.

Stehle
07-13-2021, 04:58 PM
Doing some "Bosch" bingeing... up to season 4 now... yup, as you mentioned good stuff! :)

(Thanks for the mention, as I would have totally missed that one... the ex likes it too!) :alien:

Yeah... on that Black Widow film... a bit entertaining, but for a Sunday afternoon popcorn film... I was a bit underwhelmed... CGI was and is the big ticket in the Marvel Universe.

Caballero
07-18-2021, 03:21 AM
A bit of an unexpected gem... Clarkson's Farm has been oddly captivating. Not sure if I uploaded the NZB; if you can't find it, catch it on Amazon Prime.

Stehle
07-18-2021, 04:29 PM
"Gunpowder Milkshake" (2021)... not enough unique firearms or CGi... very erratic, lacked plot definition, a cinematic void...

(A female John Wick motif... mindless mayhem... thoroughly enjoyed by all!) :) :alien:

@Caballero... 1/2 way though season 5 of Bosch now, but took note of Clarkson's Farm mention and I'll check the streamer. :)

IdolEyes787
07-18-2021, 04:49 PM
"Gunpowder Milkshake" (2021)... not enough unique firearms or CGi... very erratic, lacked plot definition, a cinematic void...

(A female John Wick motif... mindless mayhem... thoroughly enjoyed by all!) :) :alien:

Much as I love me a good female action hero(ine)I can't bring myself to watch either this or Black Widow. So many of the recent distaff efforts lack all plausibility when it comes to the fighting. Really takes me out of the experience. If Hollywood is going to continue like this then the very least they can do is compensate us with some t&a.

Caballero
07-18-2021, 07:59 PM
The Mysterious Benedict Society

Disney series, geared towards children (I guess?) but quite enjoyable. Got a retro vibe to it, so reminds me of Big Fish or Pushing Daisies. Me likes.

Stehle
07-18-2021, 09:53 PM
"Pig" (2021) Decent acting for a change! :)

(I liked his facial expressions... very stoic.) :alien:

Tovi42
07-19-2021, 07:06 AM
Watched the first part of Fear Street on Netflix, and I have mixed feelings. I think I will watch the other parts too though

ripcord
07-23-2021, 02:20 AM
Started to rewarch Brooklyn Nine-Nine and am bringing through it as much as I can. I must say that I forgot how much that show started to go downhill post season 2.

Caballero
07-26-2021, 11:37 PM
Been binging on the classics lately... Miami Vice has held up astonishingly well over the years. Or maybe it's just the soundtrack and general nostalgia.

In current events, uhm, shows, Breeders is a decent series (a bit dark at times), and I forgot how much fun Don Cheedle was in House of Lies until I started watching Black Monday.

Speaking of Miami Vice --- fun to see guest stars before they became stars... Ed O'Neill as the rogue FBI agent in episode 3, a very young Bruce Willis as the arms dealer in episode 8, etc. Sometimes it takes me a while to recognize who they are... :)

IdolEyes787
07-27-2021, 12:55 AM
David Strathairn is a cool one as he looks a lot different younger and it's in one of the best episodes.

Funkin'
07-28-2021, 04:34 PM
I just watched A Quiet Place II. It was whatever.
And been watching TONS of South Park. It's my porn. The little fat one does it for me.

Besides those two things I watch my neighbor a lot. No harm in it. I lurk in real life as I do on this site and most other sites.

IdolEyes787
08-06-2021, 03:09 PM
The Suicide Squad (2021) 0/10

I quit watching it after 60 seconds because I don't abide me no animal cruelty even of the digital variety especially if presented as some sort of sight gag. James Gunn can fuck off.

Caballero
08-06-2021, 07:45 PM
Well, if that offended you then it's a good thing you did not watch the movie at the 50-minute mark...

megabyteme
08-06-2021, 09:51 PM
I was buying into the hype leading up to the release, but kept waiting for it to live up to anything resembling good. I made it an hour in and decided to sleep.

While Idol sets the standard for films as life-changing, I aim for 'entertaining'. Sadly, it failed to meet my criteria. I believe the only chance it has for Idol's requirement is along the lines of the infamous BK burger that led Robert Downey jr. to reevaluate what he was doing with his life.

IdolEyes787
08-06-2021, 10:15 PM
Well, if that offended you then it's a good thing you did not watch the movie at the 50-minute mark...

It offended me in the same way that murdering any defenseless, harmless, innocent lifeform would. That's why I'm against this horrible computer generated tweetycide but then seemingly OK with hookers being killed in snuff films. So basically me and John Wick have the same code.

I want a film to be life changing only in the "not totally wasted another two hours of it" way.

Btw, I ended up buying a Shark. Not the vacuum, an actual shark. Now let any of those layabout neighbourhood kids try and use my pool without my permission.

megabyteme
08-07-2021, 10:08 AM
I wasn't offended by the digital death of tweety, but it started things off with an emptiness that continued through as much of the movie as I have (still only) seen. Weak writing if that's the only way to introduce Man With Overgrown Blond Mullet. The first 10+ minutes are filled with hollow, less-than-one-dimension, obviously disposable characters. At least the killing of tweety results in some kind of empathy.

IdolEyes787
08-07-2021, 11:43 AM
I watched a great bit with Matt Damon explaining why the don't make good "small" films like they use to a couple of decades ago. He says that without DVD sales, all the profit basically has to be from initial box office. With a $25 million dollar film you require another $25 million in marketing and then profit is split with the distributors(theatres) and so a $25 million dollar movie really requires at least $100 million dollars to make a profit and that's too much of a gamble for most projects.
That's why it's easier to just hire John Cena who already has name recognition with morons, sell it to China and fuck everything else.

I know that the streaming services try to somewhat take up the slack on the "small" films but mostly they are either total shite or burdened by Hollywood's need be liberal agenda driven.

Also I lied and I have watched some of The Suicide Squad and besides what you mentioned, what irks me is how people think it's being edgy with the explicit violence when it's not. I've seen edgy(ex Dog Day Afternoon) and unless you're 14 maybe this definitely isn't.

Well, if that offended you then it's a good thing you did not watch the movie at the 50-minute mark... I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I've been paying closer attention to the news lately and apparently the only thing you Americans like better than your cricket is lying.

megabyteme
08-07-2021, 10:20 PM
Matt Damon

Caballero
08-17-2021, 08:02 PM
Watching the first episode of Heels.

I feel cheated; I thought I could satisfy my women's-shoe fetish. But it's actually not that bad; I'd give it a shot if you haven't already.

Ulysses
08-18-2021, 04:04 AM
I've always found the "Green Arrow" to be over the top arrogant but since you recommend I'll give it a try. Try CODA for a good family movie. No sex or violence or gratuitous profanity but lots of humor and talent.

Caballero
08-22-2021, 04:14 PM
The Green Knight

Two hours of my life I will never get back. Honestly have no clue what the point of that movie was.

IdolEyes787
08-22-2021, 05:00 PM
People who are praising this saying that it is an "art" film and therefore not subject to the even the most general rules of storytelling and that the vast majority of haters are just too stupid to understand the essence of the director's "vision" are literally fucking idiots who deserve to be banned from ever publicly commenting on a piece of cinema again.
Moreover, anyone who can't figure out how godawful pretentious The Green Knight is going to be simply because the "auteur" needed to make a "statement" by casting Dev Patel as medieval English knight Gawain is also magnificently dense. It's like watching the trailer for The Harder They Fall and not understanding that if you aren't basically Spike Lee that the movie is most probably going to be a very alienating ie shit experience.

Caballero
08-23-2021, 09:19 PM
Blood Red Sky

aka "bats on a plane". Not even mildly entertaining. Can't really understand why it's such a breakout on Netflix, allegedly.

Caballero
08-24-2021, 01:34 PM
Just finished watching "Hacks". Better than expected, even if predictable at times. The wife liked it.

Next on the list: Season 3 of "Britannia". Something the wife will not watch. Though it's been so long since I watched Season 2, I wonder if I should just start over and start with S01E01.

Stehle
08-30-2021, 12:42 AM
The Protégé (2021) ...a decent action popcorn film for a Sunday afternoon with very little CGI. :)

(Perhaps, it was just that I've had a secret crush on Maggie Q since her "Nikita" tele series days.) ;) :alien:

Last week:

Oh the memories... In Search of the Last Action Heroes (2019) a must watch for action movie fans! :)

Caballero
08-30-2021, 12:46 AM
Started watching "What/If". Wife likes it, good stuff. Did not recognize Zellweger (how much work has she had done?!), but love the red-headed chick from Suburgatory.

Nine Lives also seems to have potential.

Stehle
08-30-2021, 12:50 AM
... Nine Lives also seems to have potential.

Seconded! :)

(I only saw Maggie Q... [Who's had work done.] ...show her age in one scene I believe.) :alien:

Stehle
09-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Mini-Binged the first three episodes of "Only Murders in The Building"...Good Stuff! :lol:

(Veteran comedic actors and there's more!) :alien:

Reservation Dogs a tele series with comedic twist, an often poignant look at the plight of Native American youths on their reservation today... Good Stuff! :)

(A definite eyeopener that hopefully changes a few more minds.) :alien: