PDA

View Full Version : Lindows

x_gimpg
12-19-2003, 06:30 AM
I just heard about lindows, a linux/windows combo OS. Is it worth getting? Is it compatable with programs and an easy transistion? Thanks

4play
12-19-2003, 06:57 AM
I heard it is very unsecure since you always run as root but it will install the whole thing in less then 3 minutes now that is impressive. :)

oh yeah and they are being sued by microsoft over the name, so they will probably change their name real soon.

edit: here (http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5026) is a review of version 4.0 but version 4.5 was released on the 16th so it will be a little out of date. :(

muchspl2
12-19-2003, 07:01 AM
I just installed lindows laptop edition, it took about 20 or so to install, but it didn't recognize my usb network card :angry:
seemed nice, I had to just reformat and put 2kpro on it, thing is the usb is supposed to be Linux compatible well it said red hat 9
but it was over my head and could find anything after a hour of goggleing

4play
12-19-2003, 07:05 AM
sounds like you need to make sure you have the usb module loaded in your kernel.

I have no idea what that means really but i have heard lots of other people say that about my linux usb problem :P

Evil Gemini
12-19-2003, 07:09 AM
oh yeah and they are being sued by microsoft over the name, so they will probably change their name real soon.

Im not suprised <_<

they would probably sue a glass windows company if they called their business windows

muchspl2
12-19-2003, 07:15 AM
a glass window company doesn&#39;t&#39; make a OS
its infringement, but will only help them because of the press and attaching