PDA

View Full Version : Would You Make The Ultimate Sacrifice?

the_faceman
12-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Imagine the situation. (Apologies if any of you have been close to this situation previously).

Someone you love is very ill. For the thread's sake we won't be specific, but we'll take it as an illness that can be somewhat reversed with the help of an organ transplant.

Depending on how much you love the person, would you sacrifice your own health in order to help them? Taking this to the extreme - would you sacrifice your own life in order to save them?

This is a scary thought for myself, as i've stated previously in other posts i don't really believe in God et al, and consequently i don't believe in the afterlife. This means that to me, this is the only life i will ever have, and it is precious to me.

Personally, i could donate an organ only for family i really love (parents, siblings, grandparents etc) , and a select few friends i regard as close to me as a brother or a sister. This would result in less than perfect health for myself, but it would be worth it so that the person i love could live a more normal life.

I think i could only make the ultimate sacrifice for my sister, or the children i plan to have in the future. I'd be the first to admit it wouldn't be easy though, even for someone as close to me as that (see above about this being the only life i'll get to enjoy). I love my parents and grandparents as much as i love my sister, but i don't think they would let me do it, as they have lived a much longer life than myself. I think this would also figure into my decision if i had to make it.

And to wander off slightly, although i could never be certain until i was in the situation myself, i think this all changes when it is a "spur of the moment" thing such as a fire, or when someone is drowning. I think you could risk your life without much thought if someone you knew and loved was in immediate danger.

This has been an attempt to make a serious thread. You may not like it, but if this is the case, just ignore it please.

the_faceman.

Spider_dude
12-28-2003, 02:55 PM
i hope i would be able to should the ability and need arise.

TheDave
12-28-2003, 03:04 PM
i havent got kids. i would gladly give up an organ if someone needs it, but if its a choice of my life or someone elses. i'd keep mine even if its someone i love i'd get over it

the_faceman
12-28-2003, 03:05 PM
that's a fair view.

I think people underestimate how precious their own life is sometimes.

Spider_dude
12-28-2003, 03:06 PM
it depends a lot on your state of mind at the time. People make rash moves when in a painful state of mind.

TheDave
12-28-2003, 03:09 PM
but then again i suppose it depends on potential of a person. cos a life does have material value whether people admit it or not. for instance if someone in my family had the potential to change the world and i didnt have anything going for me, cos many peoples lives could be made better.

thisiswhoweare
12-28-2003, 03:16 PM
I would for the type of people who will do good to the world no questions asked. It would have to be for people I know though, family and friends, whether I could do the same for a stranger is a different issue to me, and I would have to think long and hard about it.

Honey
12-28-2003, 03:27 PM
A very interesting thread it is too faceman...

I'll respond from a completely different angle...

I will have to have a liver transplant sometime in the next 2 - 10 years.
Australia has changed its laws now only allowing transplants from cadavers because in 2 liver transplants out of the 200+ that have been carried out the donor has suffered complications and died.

I've had offers from my mum, dad, brother, sister, nephew, cousins... and my children that they would willingly give me 60% of their livers (thats the transplant amount), no matter what the risk if they are compatible. I don't know (even if it was possible here) if I could allow them to take that risk for me.

And yet for them their only concern is making sure I stick around.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd make the same offer to them. Without reservation, without a thought for possible repercussions.

I think if you love someone enough, you don't tend to think of "what if's".. you just want to help.

:)

the_faceman
12-28-2003, 03:38 PM
that's a shame about the law. Only 2 failures out of 200+ seems like a good success rate for any operation. People know the risks, it should be up to them to make the decision.

Honey
12-28-2003, 03:46 PM
You're right that the people involved should ultimately make the decision for or against.

But, for me I couldn't accept that there was any possibility that any of my loved ones would suffer complications and die. I just couldn't let them take that risk no matter their decision. :huh:

mrlessk
12-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Finally!....a thread with relevance and substance on a topic that may touch all of us at sometime in our lives, whether as an organ or tissue donor or as a recipient. Especially as medicine progresses and perfects the organ transplantation process.

here (http://www.organdonor.gov/faq.html) is an FAQ I Googled that answers many questions regarding organ donations.

Personally, I am prepared to help save the life of any family member, close friend or perhaps someone I don't even know....depends on the critical circumstances at that time and whether all other avenues have been exhausted.

In most States (perhaps all?) here in the U.S. you can attach authorization to your driver's license or fill out an Organ Donor Card that in the event of an accident that may take your life, you give permission for removal of certain organs or tissues for transplant (time of course being of the essence in this case).

It's important to keep the following in mind if you are opposed to the idea of transplanting your own organs....family members may donate organs and tissues of a deceased relative if there is no indication the deceased was opposed to such a donation. Therefore, it is important to document your wishes concerning organ donation.

FYI....transplantable organs include the heart, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, liver and intestines as well as bone marrow.. Tissue that can be donated include the eyes, skin, bone, heart valves and tendons.

Thanks to the_faceman for the thread.

mrlessk :)

the_faceman
12-28-2003, 04:35 PM
we have Donor Cards in the UK too, but i haven't seen any publicity for them like i did a few years back. I don't know why that is actually.

Spider_dude
12-28-2003, 04:44 PM
they were trying to get a law in place in the uk where you would have to carry a non-donor card to not want your organs donated to avoid donating them. i think it was thrown out on human rights shites. slightly offtopic, i used to know a girl at uni who had a necro-card, it said i am willing to donate my body for the sexual gratification of people who like shagging ded corpes, or something to that effect. she was hot but a bit weird.

mrlessk
12-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by the_faceman@28 December 2003 - 07:35
we have Donor Cards in the UK too, but i haven't seen any publicity for them like i did a few years back. I don't know why that is actually.
Well, don't be discouraged by the lack of publicity...according to the UK Transplant website (http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/) organ transplants in the U.K. are going strong....

"Today is Sunday 28 Dec 2003.
Since 1 April 2003:
1,605 people have
received transplants
513 people have
donated organs
5,856 people are still
waiting for transplants
an additional
1,116 people have
donated corneas
1,665 people have
received the gift of sight
and 10,956,898 people have said they want to help others to live after their death by joining the NHS Organ Donor Register."

mrlessk

vidcc
12-28-2003, 05:41 PM
as i write this i am looking at my 6 month old daughter...i have a 4 year old and a teenager as well but they are still asleep the lazy sods...anyway i can tell you that i would gladly give my life to save them should it arise.i couldn't imaging not doing it. It's hard to explain but i love them totally and even if this sounds selfish i don't want to go through the agony of seeing any of them pass away before i do. it's hard enough having to listen to them cry when they cut themselves while out playing, or have to get a vacination.Parents should never have to bury their children.
this is a very good topic and inspires thought because the situation is one where we would have the time to consider...however how many of us would think before we ran into the road and pushed theat kid out of the path of the speeding car? so the amount that would give up their lives for their children is probably higher than one might think.
Would i give up my life for another persons child ? well i would probably risk donating an organ even with the risks involved but i would be going in expecting to live and would probably run into the road without thinking again but i might kick myself later for risking making my own children orphans.
As to the Austrailian law, i would take my child to a country that did allow it and have the op there....my family before laws like that
i'm sure not everyone would be the same as me and it doesn't make me any better than anyone else but laying down my life to safe my children would be an instinct rather than an act of bravery...may it never have to happen to any of us.

the_faceman
12-28-2003, 08:25 PM
thanks for that post, i'm sure that most people on the board who have the pleasure of being parents agree with you.

I'm not a parent yet, but i imagine that i'll feel the same way when i do become one. My own parents have expressed a similar sentiment to yourself.

Gemby!
12-28-2003, 09:31 PM
i have no spare organs anymore but dammit if i did i sure would !!

*me luvs her family :)*

bujub22
12-28-2003, 10:42 PM
i would but only to a blood relative cuz my bro donated his kidney to some bitch that was dying that noone know he was dating then like a year later come find out that kidney needing bitch was cheating on him finding doners by sleeping with them so inconclusion no organs if ain't family period

fugley
12-28-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by bujub22@28 December 2003 - 22:42
i would but only to a blood relative cuz my bro donated his kidney to some bitch that was dying that noone know he was dating then like a year later come find out that kidney needing bitch was cheating on him finding doners by sleeping with them so inconclusion no organs if ain't family period
I would gladly donate my organ to Lilmiss. :blink:

bujub22
12-28-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by fugley+28 December 2003 - 18:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fugley @ 28 December 2003 - 18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bujub22@28 December 2003 - 22:42
i would but only to a blood relative cuz my bro donated his kidney to some bitch that was dying that noone know he was dating then like a year later come find out that kidney needing bitch was cheating on him finding doners by sleeping with them&nbsp; so inconclusion no organs if ain&#39;t family period
I would gladly donate my organ to Lilmiss. :blink: [/b][/quote]
trust me she dont look good after needing a kidney for 3yrs i even told my bro what he saw in her i did&#39;nt know he know her for some yrs but still she&#39;s ugly skinny and she&#39; about 30 yrs old but looks 50 thats how bad she had it ,but now i jus want to kick her in the kidney :lol: aaaahh that woulkd feel great

mrlessk
12-29-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by 28 December 2003 &#045; 13:44
I would gladly donate my organ to Lilmiss.&nbsp; :blink:
And so, it was just about at this point in the thread where it lost whatever serious and mature theme it may have carried....perhaps for someone who was being faced with their own life-saving decision about a family member in desperate need of a kidney or some other vital organ.

As is too often the case, another thread is hijacked and has now lost it&#39;s relevance and original message by those thinking life (and death) is just one big joke.
As I look around the other KL Forum discussion groups I don&#39;t see one any more appropriate than the Lounge to bring up a serious topic such as organ donation if one chooses to present the subject to KL members as a group. Perhaps some threads should be treated with a touch of respect and the jokes left to all the other threads where humour and jest is more fitting.

Serious illness and impending death of a close family member is no joke. Especially, when through the heroic and unselfish act of one brave individual who happend to have the same blood type as my cousin Rene, agreed to the bone-marrow transplant that allowed Rene to have a second chance at life. Rene was suffering from Acute myloid leukaemia. Thanks to this relative, who wishes to always remain annonymous, she was home from the hospital just in time for Christmas with the family and so far is doing fine.
mrlessk