PDA

View Full Version : Question About Blood

Spider_dude
01-05-2004, 03:08 PM
ok here is the story, i was working the other day in a hoispital and i was called to a major haemmorage, thats where the patient won't stop bleeding and you need to keep giving them blood. It made me wonder what would happenif that person wasn't bleeding and you just kept giving them blood. Would they eventually explode? Would they be ok? Would it be safe?
I immediately thought someone in the wise lounge would know the answer.

hooked
01-05-2004, 03:09 PM
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/andrerip.JPG

^try it there

Spider_dude
01-05-2004, 03:15 PM
i'm sure andre is interesting but i am also sure with him being dead he doesn't know the answer. anyone else?

Skweeky
01-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Well, thinking about it logically, I suppose your organs and your veins would indeed start to burst so you'd get a lot of internal bleedings. My guess is that the person would eventually drown in his own blood

hooked
01-05-2004, 03:17 PM
btw > jayhawks sig tells me there's a spider place but the link is a dead end...

:huh:

bigboab
01-05-2004, 03:18 PM
I am guessing but I think that when your BP reaches a certain level then all sort of failures occur. As for exploding! I think you would need to pump it in. Not put it in with a drip. I am not suggesting, for one moment that you are a drip by the way. :lol: :lol:

DarthInsinuate
01-05-2004, 03:21 PM
i think the excess will eject through the nearest orifice, like the nose, ears, eyes, anus, urethra

Spider_dude
01-05-2004, 03:22 PM
but then i think about people donating blood, surely if they can afford to give out blood and still live there must be some sort of buffer zone inside their body for excess to be added?

DWk
01-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@5 January 2004 - 08:21
i think the excess will eject through the nearest orifice, like the nose, ears, eyes, anus, urethra
it has to burst inside tho.... if this wouldnt happen then you would be dripping blood from your nose every second....

Snee
01-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I assume it'd burst the weakest veins first, like the ones in yer nose and whatnot.

Adding a smaller(we're not talking litres here) amount of blood to your system is actually a form of doping, it'll increase your performance and whatnot.

But adding copious amounts of any fluid to yer system isn't good, it's possible to drink yourself to death with only water, at some point it'll put to much stress on your internal organs, like your liver and kidneys, and make them stop working.

mrlessk
01-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@5 January 2004 - 06:08
It made me wonder what would happen if that person wasn't bleeding and you just kept giving them blood. Would they eventually explode?
Yeah....that happened to me once.
Here's a picture my mom took......

http://www.eastbaytrauma.org/images/dawsonlarge.jpg

I can remember the doctor saying "OOPS!".
I'm all better now though....
:lol:

tralalala
01-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by mrlessk+5 January 2004 - 20:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrlessk @ 5 January 2004 - 20:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spider_dude@5 January 2004 - 06:08
It made me wonder what would happen if that person wasn&#39;t bleeding and you just kept giving them blood. Would they eventually explode?
Yeah....that happened to me once.
Here&#39;s a picture my mom took......

http://www.eastbaytrauma.org/images/dawsonlarge.jpg

I can remember the doctor saying "OOPS&#33;".
I&#39;m all better now though....
:lol: [/b][/quote]
OMG&#33;&#33; :o it looks like a massive vagina having some massive baby... EUCH&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink:

tralalala

p.s: the organs, veins and basically anything carrying blood would eventually burst/explode because of an overload... the person would die with seriouse organ damage

vidcc
01-05-2004, 06:54 PM
blood is not forced into the vien it flows via gravity unless intervention supersedes. as long as the heart is beating there will be blood pressure in the viens and the blood will not be able to enter the body (i think :blink: )
so you were called to an emergency in a hospital thereby making me think you are a medic to some degree so perhaps you have the answer for us..and will there be a prize for the first to get it right???? :D :D

Spider_dude
01-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by vidcc@5 January 2004 - 18:54
blood is not forced into the vien it flows via gravity unless intervention supersedes. as long as the heart is beating there will be blood pressure in the viens and the blood will not be able to enter the body (i think :blink: )
so you were called to an emergency in a hospital thereby making me think you are a medic to some degree so perhaps you have the answer for us..and will there be a prize for the first to get it right???? :D :D
you say blood flows because of gravity and a heart beat. i know there is a small amount of gravity in space from each star, planet, comet but still less than on our planet. say we found a galaxy in space which had no stars or planets, would our legs and arms eventually fall off due to a form of frostbite?

Snee
01-05-2004, 07:35 PM
He meant the blood transfusion, when he talked of gravity, at least I think so.

Skweeky
01-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Well, if there was no gravity, then how could we exist? How would the molecules stay together?

tralalala
01-05-2004, 07:45 PM
look, the point is - if you would force extra un-needed blood into the veins, the pressure would eventually make the veins burst, thus - leading to a very sick and probably very, VERY painful death...

tralalala

Spider_dude
01-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@5 January 2004 - 19:38
Well, if there was no gravity, then how could we exist? How would the molecules stay together?
we can exist because any mass big or mass exerts a gravitational pull. molecules are not held together by gravity but by chemiscal bonds, be they ionic, covalent or van der waals. we could live without gravity, if we could find a way to remove it.

Skweeky
01-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Arghghg, that hurts SD :frusty:

vidcc
01-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@5 January 2004 - 19:38
they use superglue and stickey tape then wrap the body up with clingfilm and roll it in treacle then tar and pop it into a supermarket carrier bag (not one of those "planet friendly paper ones") then they bind it with heavy guage rubber bands and ties a pink ribbon bow to one end.
this is allowed to stand for 5 hours at room temperature and then dipped in a cold solution of potasium permanganate, sodium iodide and and bogies..then it is placed in a kiln and baked for 12 hours at 400 degrees f. it is removed and allowed to cool for 7 hours where it is coated in cornflour and bisto gravy granuals and put in a fridge to set.

but i don&#39;t know why i am telling you this as i&#39;m sure you really knew :D

Spider_dude
01-05-2004, 11:15 PM
all i was trying to say was that its not gravity which holds our molecules together but rather small electro-positive and negative charges caused by resonating electrons on elements and molecules.

bigboab
01-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@5 January 2004 - 23:15
all i was trying to say was that its not gravity which holds our molecules together but rather small electro-positive and negative charges caused by resonating electrons on elements and molecules.
So that is how a NMRI scanner works. By aligning these molecules. Any defective molecule will not align with the rest. It is bloody easy when someone explains it to you. :blink:

internet.news
01-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Spider_Dude - Let it go, We are all here for you. It&#39;s going to be OK - I know that. If you ever need to talk we&#39;re all here for you now please try to put it aside :)