PDA

View Full Version : probably a major oversight.

TheDave
03-19-2005, 12:29 PM
argh!

i got my 64bit system but i cant install/boot to windows. do i blame special XP+office+half a million other things disc ben gave me, or does normal xp not run on 64 bit machines, or is there something really obvious people miss that causes "error loading operating system"

:criesbecausehe'llhavetowaitaweektoplaygamesagain:

100%
03-19-2005, 12:32 PM
as a dedicated laptop user, i sigh in relief at never having xperienced this problema
but if it makes you feel any better
Its all my fault

(flame at will)

Guillaume
03-19-2005, 12:32 PM
does normal xp not run on 64 bit machines

It does run on 64bit machines.
But you'd better ask your question in softwareworld. The people in there may be helpful, but never watch them in the eye. :fear:

Virtualbody1234
03-19-2005, 01:05 PM
It would help if you gave us more information. Is this a new installation of Windows XP?

Tell us what hardware you have.

Why can't you install?

What is special XP and who is Ben?

argh!

Snee
03-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Is ben's disc one of those slipstreamed ones, and if so does it install drivers?

TheDave
03-19-2005, 01:27 PM
its some warez version that installs about 3 gig of appz when you set up (photoshop, office, norton, etc. anyway i told him to DL a proper iso for me so that should take about a week

Peerzy
03-19-2005, 01:31 PM
its some warez version that installs about 3 gig of appz when you set up (photoshop, office, norton, etc. anyway i told him to DL a proper iso for me so that should take about a week

That will be standard XP anyway and not 64bit. If you have access to the internet still you can download an ISO of Windows 64bit from Microsoft themselfs at top speed. Or ask around see if any of your friends have copies of Windows. Worse comes to worse i could ship you a disc, i have like 100 different versions.

Snee
03-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Just to cover all bases tho'...

It does detect your hds right and all that?

clocker
03-19-2005, 01:43 PM
as a dedicated laptop user, i sigh in relief at never having xperienced this problema

How does being a "laptop user" shield you from this sort of problem?
As a dedicated desktop user I sigh in relief at not having to deal with flaky power ports and the absurd cost of laptop parts.

Peerzy
03-19-2005, 01:43 PM
And what part does it give you errors? Check in your BIOS that the dvd roms and hard drives are showing. Also its likly that this XP disc is a dvd version because of all the added shit, you do have a dvd reader right?

TheDave
03-19-2005, 04:59 PM
i ended up formatting my hard-drive cos i thought it may be that but it wasn't

it does get detected but what happens is when i start installing XP it does everything like normal then when it copies files it takes about 20 minutes cos it copies a load of extra software. when it restarts to do the proper installing with the splash screen telling me how great life will be i get "error loading operating system :(

Snee
03-19-2005, 05:11 PM
have you got an old os you could try, or something?

Have a look (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t91846-.html)

TheDave
03-19-2005, 08:31 PM
i did the lba thing then went to get dinner, when i come back its booting to windows :D

hugs and kisses all round. :D

enoughfakefiles
03-19-2005, 08:41 PM
i did the lba thing then went to get dinner, when i come back its booting to windows :D

hugs and kisses all round. :D

Glad i could help. :01:

Snee
03-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Nice. :D

Didn't want to steal the credits so I had to dig through hardwareworld to find his topic :lol:

's why I asked about an older OS, 'cos it's an NT thing, according to lynx.

But I remembered that wrong, 'cos it still wouldn't have booted, it'd just said it couldn't install with an older os I think :lol: