PDA

View Full Version : What is the best BitTorrent client?

OhMyGod
04-07-2005, 08:12 AM
I have ask this question in other forums and the results are always different.
Usually there is a three way tie between Azureus, BitComet & BitTornado. So what does this forum think is the best BitTorrent client is?

Thanks. :)

manker
04-07-2005, 10:17 AM
ABC works great for me, with regard to both downloading and creating torrents.

I also use BitTornado but it's got a messier interface and I noticed no difference in the download speed when I tried Az. ABC definitely uses the least resources, particularly when dealing with multiple torrent downloads and creating a torrent is a four click experience.

Managing your downloads is also pretty simple - which is how it should be.

{I}{K}{E}
04-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Azureus :01:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=91218

ready1
04-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Well if you just want opinions you will receive a range of responses, if however you are just looking for the definitive answer, G3 torrent is the best.

ZaZu
04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
ABC (http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/download.php) is.

lynx
04-07-2005, 02:13 PM
BitComet (and derivatives) is now widely thought to "cheat" on their statistic reporting, and is being banned by some trackers. G3torrent is also being checked for this behaviour. These two may get you good results in the short term, but you could find yourself cut off in the middle of a download.

I find Azureus to be abong the best, if only they would do something about being able to select which files to download BEFORE starting. :rolleyes:

kurse
04-08-2005, 09:38 AM
If it downloads .torrent files, its good enough for me.

ready1
04-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Yeh I guess the only downside to using G3 is having to withstand the jealousy of other users and their constant claims of "G3 is a leech client" and "G3 kills babies".

stere0type
04-08-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm still using bittornado

mr00420
04-08-2005, 02:54 PM
I use Azureus, and while it does use a lot of resources it seems, it does allow you decide which files you DL from a torrent containing more than one file. Not so w/ many other clients. BitComet is getting banned pretty regularly from private trackers.

parknabd
04-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Azureus/BitComet

S!X
04-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Ive been using bittornado for so long now and have no problems with it :)

Formula1
04-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Azuerus, so many features and much more organized that bittornado. Plus easier to seed and download multiple torrent files...

JPaul
04-10-2005, 02:23 PM
BitTornado.

I don't need features or a gui to download files.

I simple save the torrent (for restarts) then download. Pas de problem.

gildan2020
04-10-2005, 04:25 PM
i'm using ABC 3.0 and bitcomet
eventhough abc 3.0 is still bugged by the same problem as bittornado 0.3.10

azureus ate too much ram and that reli pisses me off

gildan2020

Hunted
04-10-2005, 06:29 PM
How is G3 on ram? Azureus uses too much... and I don't like ABC or BitTornado

gildan2020
04-11-2005, 11:29 AM
last time i use g3torrent, i remember that the hashing progress bar is very buggy...
so buggy that the percentage went beyond 100%!
it made me wait for so long that i finally decided to dump it for other clients.
but that's version 0.997... :)

gildan2020

spudmessy
04-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Been with Azureus since forever, getting better each update. The function which enables you to specifically download parts of a torrent is handy and useful for filtering out scam torrents. It does use a lot of system resources though :(

ready1
04-13-2005, 08:03 AM
G3 is pretty good on resources, the best version to use is probably .999a, newer versions arn't as stable

alonso
04-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Azureus & BitComet :)

idlewild
04-13-2005, 05:12 PM
i like the new bittorrent client for mac, but then again the old version is the only other one i've ever used.

echidna
04-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Azureus!

Cross platform
best interface
select individual files within a torrent
easy tracker

It is the one

Harsh!
04-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Ive said it before and I'll say it again...
Azureus rocks!!

Blaidd
04-16-2005, 07:58 PM
I have to agree with the people above here that say that Azureus is the best. I do find, however that it has a tendancy to offer too many requests to quickly and has a tendancy to "freak out" routers.

RPerry
04-16-2005, 11:02 PM
I switched to Azureus after 2 weeks of using bitcomet last night. There seems to be a connectability prblem with bitcomet, and even though Azureus is sucking up my RAM, its a much better client. Take the bad for more good I say ;)

ken52787
04-18-2005, 05:31 PM
G3 Torrent is my choice. I espically love the web interface. It lets me browse at school and start the downloads so its done by the time I get home.

sameer0807
04-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Azureus all the way!

sameer0807
04-20-2005, 01:50 AM
G3 Torrent is my choice.
never heard of that...can u give me the link? I'll sure like to check it out later.
peace

ready1
04-20-2005, 04:27 AM
http://g3torrent.sourceforge.net/

DrTroy47
04-20-2005, 05:09 AM
Guys, about 14 months ago when I first started using BitTorrent, I started out with Shareaza for about a month, cuz I was a complete noob.

Then I tried the official client for a night. Another mistake (sorry, Cohen!) Then I visited the web site for BitTornado. The site itself sucks, and I wasn't impressed by the client. Then I tried BitSomething and BitSomethingElse. :P And then I found heaven. I mean, you know, that friendly blue frog which has become my best digital friend and my number 1 most important program under Windows (or Linux or Mac, all thanx to the fact it's built on Java).

People that say Azureus is a resource hog either...

1. Have a really crappy computer with less than 512 MB RAM, which is a bare minimum these days.
2. Don't have good systems, period. They got spyware or some BS running.
3 They don't have a current version of Java, or a clean installation of Java.
4. Perhaps they're running more than 40 processes so the 30-100 MB that javaw.exe uses is a big deal.

Fact is, all those other clients, including BitComet (which I've tried and I think has a really crappy UI compared to Azureus), don't have nearly as many great, useful features as Azureus.

The plug-ins for Azureus that most people use are the RSSFeed Scanner, which rocks for automatically downloading TV shows, and SafePeer, which blocks the MPAA and BayTSP from communicating with you as long as you're blocking them with the proper blacklists from BlueTack.co.uk or Methlabs.org.

Now when I hear about new clients, I don't even want try them out. At most, I'll check out a screenshot which only helps me reiterate the fact that Azureus is by far the best. Because there's nothing wrong with Azureus and it does just about anything I would ever want it to do.

Now there's even a torrent chat plug-in that lets you chat with other users downloading any torrent, apparently (they also have to have that plug-in installed of course, duh!).

If you've tried the rest, now try the best - Azureus http://azureus.sourceforge.net And by the way I have nothing to do with the Azureus team, I'm just a fan. Almost an admirer, you could say. :D

sameer0807
04-20-2005, 06:57 AM
http://g3torrent.sourceforge.net/
Thanks...

lightshow
04-20-2005, 10:05 PM
I prefer Bittornado. When I tried Azerous (I belive it was this one that was doing this) I found out it makes a dummy file the same size of the finished file.

So if I downloaded a 4 GB file, the second I use Azerous, it makes the dummy 4 GB file. So when I had a lot of big torrent files, it always looked like I had a lot of hard drive space taken up. I just found it annying.

And Bittornado doesn't do that.

ready1
04-20-2005, 11:13 PM
People that say Azureus is a resource hog either...

1. Have a really crappy computer with less than 512 MB RAM, which is a bare minimum these days.

Wow, 512mb of ram recommended just for a torrent program, i'l make sure to stear clear of that one.

lynx
04-21-2005, 12:14 AM
I prefer Bittornado. When I tried Azerous (I belive it was this one that was doing this) I found out it makes a dummy file the same size of the finished file.

So if I downloaded a 4 GB file, the second I use Azerous, it makes the dummy 4 GB file. So when I had a lot of big torrent files, it always looked like I had a lot of hard drive space taken up. I just found it annying.

And Bittornado doesn't do that."Tools/options/files/Enable incremental file creation" will stop that.

But the idea is that when you start the torrent you know you've got enough disk space. Nothing worse than being away for a couple of days only to find out that your download failed after a couple of hours because you forgot to check free disk space.

People that say Azureus is a resource hogAzureus really WAS a resource hog with some of the earlier versions, even with the latest versions of Java. If you ran something like "Folding@Home" Azureus would cut processing by at least a quarter. Later versions are much better.

Wow, 512mb of ram recommended just for a torrent program, i'l make sure to stear clear of that one.I think you'll find the same is true for just about any BT program. It isn't the torrent program which is necessarily taking up the resources (except as I've indicated above) it is all the other stuff people tend to have running, much of it installed by their PC supplier, and when they start a BTclient it tips it over the top.

Formula1
04-21-2005, 01:42 AM
I used bittornado for about 5months straight. Then i figured that since i was downloading alot with bittorrent, and from there i came to realize i had to move on to something more advanced. Because it was difficult for me to keep track of files i had to seed with bittornado, and there werent many features, like being able to ban ip and see which parts i'd downloaded. Then i downloaded and tried azureus, and knew this was something i had to use as a true BT user. Azureus all the way :D

deepenigma
04-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Bitspirit is the best client. Every option you need is there.In fact it is the most flexible bt client. try it.

comrade_tzar
04-29-2005, 02:46 PM
I use azeurus, and it seems to generally good, haven't tried biit tornado, in the end though, if it d/l's torrents its a thumbs up here....i just like the slimy blue frog on the splash screen for azeurus...

craios
04-30-2005, 12:54 AM
My clien favorite is the experimental.

sw33t1
04-30-2005, 05:09 AM
BitComet

shakoor_h
04-30-2005, 10:46 PM
torrentstorm, although it uses the Bittonado downloader. Why? cos it's simple and easy to use. shame the creator isn't making anymore

Fidelio
05-01-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm a longtime BitTornado user, but the current version crashes when I exit. :(

IronRanger
05-02-2005, 05:15 AM
Gotta go with ABC (Another BitTorrentClient). User-friendly interface with many handy features.

http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/