Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Copyright

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Jibbler@20 April 2003 - 20:18
    All kidding aside, I wonder if people worried about the negative aspects of technology in those days. Good point Clocker. B)
    Of course they did.
    There has ALWAYS been someone who was heavily invested in maintaining the status quo.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    High-tech Luddites.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@20 April 2003 - 21:04
    High-tech Luddites.
    Could you come up with another catchy phrase like this one?

I'm looking for another member title.

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    I thought I remembered you liked that one. I'll give it some thought.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@20 April 2003 - 21:29
    I thought I remembered you liked that one. I'll give it some thought.
    I liked it a lot, but j2k4 stole it before I could.

Just shows we're all pirates, eh?

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    At the core, yes.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    There is no law with a copy of protected media, just law to prohibit the use of it for a profit, such as entertainment at a club, dj's, bands, distributers, and publicly displaying the content for a fee.

Not to share, but you can't share media that has not been released. such as movies, songs, and inteligence.

I mean we do have radio's and tv's that we can collect this from also, but it is not illegal. so long as there is no motive for profit.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Originally posted by Jibbler+21 April 2003 - 03:18--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 21 April 2003 - 03:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--clocker@20 April 2003 - 21:14
    Laws, in particular, evolve constantly to maintain relevance with&nbsp; current conditions. We are certainly not the first generation to feel the discomfort of evolving technology, I&#39;m sure that the invention of the wheel screwed up somebody&#39;s way of life too.
    Interesting approach, I wonder how people in the 50s dealt with television, etc. Anyone care to spin me a time machine, so I can learn the ways of the free thinking world of yester-year? All kidding aside, I wonder if people worried about the negative aspects of technology in those days. Good point Clocker. B) [/b][/quote]
    Look at Elvils&#39; Estate, based on copyright laws that were present in the 50&#39;s.

Henry ford, Agusta Escofier, both great enteprenuers but one has shared his work for the industy, the other has copyrighted and patented almost every aspect of his invention. But I guess they are apples and oranges.

Sorry bout that, I guess I was bableing. LOL

Getting some sleep now,

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Originally posted by WebCheF@20 April 2003 - 22:00
    There is no law with a copy of protected media, just law to prohibit the use of it for a profit, such as entertainment at a club, dj&#39;s, bands, distributers, and publicly displaying the content for a fee.

Not to share, but you can&#39;t share media that has not been released. such as movies, songs, and inteligence.

I mean we do have radio&#39;s and tv&#39;s that we can collect this from also, but it is not illegal. so long as there is no motive for profit.
    What you call "sharing" the RIAA considers "distribution".

Their livelihood depends on controlling the distribution of their product and your profit ( or lack thereof) is completely irrelevant.
    I think an apt example would be if you robbed a bank and then walked out into the street and threw the money at passersby. Simply because you didn&#39;t profit doesn&#39;t mean that you didn&#39;t commit a crime.
    Can you display a legal hardcopy (CD, DVD,etc.) of every file in your Shared Folder? I know I can&#39;t. Hell, some of the stuff I have isn&#39;t even released yet&#33;
    How could I make the argument with a straight face that my sharing of a movie that the company hasn&#39;t even released yet doesn&#39;t materially affect their livelihood? As Hobbes said elsewhere "I am a bad man."
    I can&#39;t think of a morally/ legally defensible reason why I should be allowed to do this , so I just state that I do it BECAUSE I CAN&#33;
    Maybe when I see Tom Cruise in line at the Goodwill I&#39;ll reconsider.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Originally posted by clocker+21 April 2003 - 05:30--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 21 April 2003 - 05:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--WebCheF@20 April 2003 - 22:00
    There is no law with a copy of protected media, just law to prohibit the use of it for a profit, such as entertainment at a club,&nbsp; dj&#39;s, bands, distributers, and publicly displaying the content for a fee.

Not to share, but you can&#39;t share media that has not been released. such as movies, songs, and inteligence.

I mean we do have radio&#39;s and tv&#39;s that we can collect this from also, but it is not illegal.&nbsp; so long as there is no motive for profit.
    What you call "sharing" the RIAA considers "distribution".

Their livelihood depends on controlling the distribution of their product and your profit ( or lack thereof) is completely irrelevant.
    I think an apt example would be if you robbed a bank and then walked out into the street and threw the money at passersby. Simply because you didn&#39;t profit doesn&#39;t mean that you didn&#39;t commit a crime.
    Can you display a legal hardcopy (CD, DVD,etc.) of every file in your Shared Folder? I know I can&#39;t. Hell, some of the stuff I have isn&#39;t even released yet&#33;
    How could I make the argument with a straight face that my sharing of a movie that the company hasn&#39;t even released yet doesn&#39;t materially affect their livelihood? As Hobbes said elsewhere "I am a bad man."
    I can&#39;t think of a morally/ legally defensible reason why I should be allowed to do this , so I just state that I do it BECAUSE I CAN&#33;
    Maybe when I see Tom Cruise in line at the Goodwill I&#39;ll reconsider. [/b][/quote]
    Hey, I am not denying that is it wrong, but ? is it distrubution if I want to borrow your cd to play at my birthday party?

BTW, I am just enjoying the ride like the rest of the comunity, If I didn&#39;t get any music online I still wouldn&#39;t buy a cd that I would only like just one or two of the songs, but that&#39;s me.

lol I loose those damn things anyway.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast