Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: More Powerful Than The Government?

Poster
    Jumping back a bit, to Clocker, I cant get any of your links / addresses to work.

Doesn't really matter tho' the point was that people just say things like internation law without knowing if such a thing exists and if so whether there are any which are relevant. Bottom line, does the phrase "international copyright law" actually mean anything.

The other thing which people miss is that there is a huge difference between criminal offences and civil. As I understand it, without researching a paper and keeping it simple. If you make a copy for your own purposes or share freely, then this is a civil matter and you can be sued. If however you do it for profit (or provide the means for distribution) then it is a criminal matter and you can be prosecuted.

To save any further confusion, in the UK you may not make a copy (backup) for your own use. UK copright law does not even allow that.

EDIT

Don't buy a motherboard / computer with the anti piracy chip on it.

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by JmiF@21 April 2003 - 04:54
    Jumping back a bit, to Clocker, I cant get any of your links / addresses to work.
    I apologize (again! ) for my defective application of technology. You asked for international copyright law and all I did was Google the phrase and pick the Cornel Law School link. I don't pretend to have a comprhensive grasp of the subject ( or my computer, for that matter&#33.
    You are , of course, entirely correct by pointing out the difference between civil and criminal prosecution in p2p cases.
    The RIAA however, considers "sharing" a file on this network "distribution". They make no distinction between you (us) and a Hong Kong street vendor. To them the end result is the same- loss of sales. I'm sure that from their perspective rolling out the big guns and making splashy headlines makes sense. Creating a sense of fear and impending doom amongst p2p folks should serve to buy time as they figure out an effective method of exploiting the technology that they ignored for too long.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    Actually, the DMCA does define sharing (even without profit) as a felony - a major criminal offense.

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@21 April 2003 - 07:34
    Actually, the DMCA does define sharing (even without profit) as a felony - a major criminal offense.
    Ah, the voice of doom returns...

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+20 April 2003 - 22:05--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 20 April 2003 - 22:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TIDE-HSV@20 April 2003 - 20:56
    Well, I&#39;m told I look about ten years younger, but the interior parts are wearing, wearing...
    Oh, don&#39;t be sad...

Why, I&#39;ll bet you&#39;ve got at least another 2 or 3 good weeks left...

btw, where&#39;s j2k4? I&#39;ll bet he&#39;s an old fart too. [/b][/quote]
    Here I am-
    I&#39;m currently 44, but am entertaining a change, possibly somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 or 33 (before the graying process kicked in).

Interesting reading. TIDE-HSV, nice to have legal guidance on this issue-difficult for us to intuit relevancies without the requisite knowledge.
    The fact of your gracious offering of expertise heartens me and I feel it only fair to declare a personal moratorium on lawyer jokes.

I am among the ignorant on this issue; my sense is, in the end, P2P will ultimately prevail, though we may have to somehow cloak our activity.
    This doesn&#39;t keep me from feeling a bit of paranoia at the scare tactics of the RIAA, et.al.-the non-specificity of their approach to the P2P "problem" has a scatter-shot quality that will harden with a bit of legal success, and there is no denying the power (money) of the lobby.

So-we wait?

Clocker-I see a potential market for retro (pre-Palladium-chip-type) hardware. Perhaps an opportunity awaits?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    Originally posted by j2k4@21 April 2003 - 08:10

Clocker-I see a potential market for retro (pre-Palladium-chip-type) hardware. Perhaps an opportunity awaits?
    I am on it&#33;
    Just the product I&#39;ve been searching for to make my millions.
    An H.G. Wellsian computer with gears and pulleys and maybe I can work in a hamster or two&#33;
    Will you finance the R&D?

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    Poster
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@21 April 2003 - 14:34
    DMCA ?

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    Sorry, Jim. Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Here&#39;s a good site to learn all about it. It would curl your hair, were you a Yank. http://www.anti-dmca.org/

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+21 April 2003 - 09:15--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 21 April 2003 - 09:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@21 April 2003 - 08:10

Clocker-I see a potential market for retro (pre-Palladium-chip-type) hardware. Perhaps an opportunity awaits? &nbsp; &nbsp;
    I am on it&#33;
    Just the product I&#39;ve been searching for to make my millions.
    An H.G. Wellsian computer with gears and pulleys and maybe I can work in a hamster or two&#33;
    Will you finance the R&D? [/b][/quote]
    I see a real low-buck operation here-mayhaps my father could be persuaded to un-retire to aid us; he is ex-IBM-was a C.E. back in the System 30/RAMAC days-he knows from gears and pulleys, belts, bells, whistles, all of it.
    He actually had dinner with T.J. Watson, Jr. on several occasions-said he was a "very prepossessing boss".
    I would imagine.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    Poster
    It must be me. I canīt get that link to work either.

Is there a conspiracy to avoid me reading sites on US and International Law. Come to think of it, itīs probably the same thing nowadays.

How can freely sharing a file be a felony. For heavenīs sake that really is taking things too far. I know your country is based on money, commerciality and big business but a felony. You are making people criminals based on the fact that a large corporation lost a sale. Even thought the "felon" made no gain himself. That canīt be natural justice.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast