Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who invented new keyboard layout ?

Hi Guys

As a computer user for 20 years I was really pissed off the other day when I bought a Microsoft keyboard through the mail.

I love the key touch as I find I make less errors than on all my other keyboards during the years.

But the layout of the Home, End, Delete, Pgup, PgDwn keys really annoys me. All previous keybaords had them in a horizontal layout, and now Microsoft in its "wisdom" places them in a vertical layout and I spend ages hitting the wrong keys and having to look for them every time I use them !

Does anyone else find this a pain ?

regards

Digby
    NZ

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Yep, it's a real PITA.
    I got so pissed off with my old M$ Multimedia k/b one day that I pressed some keys a little too robustly and broke one of the riser feet underneath at the back.
    I bought an M$ Internet k/b to replace it and don't miss those stupidly arranged keys at all. I don't miss that daft F-Lock crap either.
    Last edited by Chewie; 04-26-2006 at 12:22 AM.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Funny how the "qwerty" layout has remained, even when the reasons for it are long gone (I think the letters were laid out like that on manual typewriters so there was less chance of the mechanical arms jammimg)

Will we be stuck with this anachronism for as long as keyboards are fashionable?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I collect old keyboards. I'm still irritated by the position of the left window key. I use the space between left-ctrl and left alt as a guide for pressing them without looking. I would not care if those keys were up at the top of the keyboard out of the way. I never ever use those keys, I'v been suing ctrl+esc, alt-tab, alt-f4 etc since windows 3.

I'l allways use qwerty keyboards. I look at the screen, not the keyboard, and think the words I'm typing and they appear. I'v been touch typing long enough that pressing the individual keys has become mostly subconcious.

There are lots of people who have been used computers for years but still hunt-and-peck at two words a minute, leaving lots of spelling mistakes that they would notice immediatley if they were looking at the screen.

I find using different laptops fraustrating because I keep pressing whatever key is in the same place as pagedn on mine. I also get irritated by the lack of a scrollwheel.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphodiv
    I collect old keyboards. I'm still irritated by the position of the left window key. I use the space between left-ctrl and left alt as a guide for pressing them without looking. I would not care if those keys were up at the top of the keyboard out of the way. I never ever use those keys, I'v been suing ctrl+esc, alt-tab, alt-f4 etc since windows 3.

I'l allways use qwerty keyboards. I look at the screen, not the keyboard, and think the words I'm typing and they appear. I'v been touch typing long enough that pressing the individual keys has become mostly subconcious.

There are lots of people who have been used computers for years but still hunt-and-peck at two words a minute, leaving lots of spelling mistakes that they would notice immediatley if they were looking at the screen.

I find using different laptops fraustrating because I keep pressing whatever key is in the same place as pagedn on mine. I also get irritated by the lack of a scrollwheel.
    Whoops!
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-25-2006 at 11:25 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Good point but my spelling is actualy much better than it used to be.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Do you have a pic or model number of this keyboard? I've never seen the home/insert/delete/pgdwn/pgup keys in any other place than where they usually are.

What really pisses me off tho is those keyboard where the backspace is a single key wide, the / is next to it (which i end up hitting ) and the enter key goes up an extra space where the \ should be.

The FLOCK on my keyboard pisses me off too since i never use the functions they put up there and flock is off by default

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Do you have a pic or model number of this keyboard? I've never seen the home/insert/delete/pgdwn/pgup keys in any other place than where they usually are.

What really pisses me off tho is those keyboard where the backspace is a single key wide, the / is next to it (which i end up hitting ) and the enter key goes up an extra space where the \ should be.

The FLOCK on my keyboard pisses me off too since i never use the functions they put up there and flock is off by default
    Hi Rossco

The keys are in the same place as usual, but in a different layout ie vertically two keys wide, rather than horizonatally 3 keys wide. Its just that I am so used to the traditional layout.

Yes small backspace keys annoy me too.

As does the stupid F Lock key - it always fools me as I tend to re-boot a few times day even though I'm on XP. It seems to upset others also !

Regards

Digby

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    that's perty ghey
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast