Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Window Washer

Maybe. I think the main benefit will be intra-machine, apps running on the machine and particularly those taking up a good bit of processor cycles.

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Thanks for the info, TIDE.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Nite. You're spotted one time zone and ten years.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Tide.. clocker.. No need to ribbed each other. About kernel and ram, let me clarify again..

Window kernel is an important part of the os.There is no need to load kernel in ram by yourself, it's done automatically when window boots or else your window would failed.

Is 512mb enough? Depends on what you do with your pc. If you works alot with video editing, encoding etc,..it's not enough on top of other programs simultaneously.Understand that ram and window resources dictate how your pc perform.(other than CPU, vga) So how much does window uses ram itself?. I would say about 150mb (I am referring to win xp and 2000, win 98 uses less), leaving 350 for your works. Resources dropped to about 80%(taken up by window/administrative tools). Antivirus, kazaa, office , scrensaver and all the background programs eat up a few percentage of your resources..finally you are left with about 50-60%
    Now don't let your resources dropped to less than 30%, you are then in big trouble!! All the ram in the world would not help you.

Is anything more than 512mb a waste? Not really.. or else window would not allowed you to go beyond 512(I refer to win2k/xp not 98. Win98 has a limit switch of 512mb) If you are one of many who don't utilize their pc intensively , you could create a "permanent" ramdrive out of your spare rams and load your most common programs there.It would definitely help in speeding up your performance .

By the way Bill Gates is my paymaster!!!

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Keep talkin' guys.

I am participating vicariously here through Clocker, as his relative level of PC ignorance, while not as great as mine, approaches it more closely than does anyone else's.

Signed: The Knowledge Thief (also known as: He whose avatar exhibiteth nomadic tendencies).
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    Drakkie, I'm afraid you're not correct about the kernel. If you were, most of the machines tune into this forum wouldn't run at all. People run XP all the time with 128M and less of RAM. Not fast, but it runs, and it runs by paging the kernel in and out of virtual memory - the swap file. The tip I pointed Clocker to simply disables the Paging Executive. (I don't know if you really followed the link or not). Here is another way; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/SessionManager/MemoryManagement. Insert or change a value with the following details:

Data Type: DWORD
    Value Name: LargeSystemCache
    Value: 1

And restart. One of the most pleasant things about changing to XP is that your resource heaps are, for practical purposes, co-extensive with your RAM. No more 64K Win98 resource bottleneck. For a detailed and technical explanation from MicroSoft on how XP manages the kernel and resources, look Here.

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Originally posted by j2k4@2 May 2003 - 03:13
    Keep talkin' guys.

I am participating vicariously here through Clocker, as his relative level of PC ignorance, while not as great as mine, approaches it more closely than does anyone else's.

Signed: The Knowledge Thief (also known as: He whose avatar exhibiteth nomadic tendencies).
    Having once lived in the South, I've learned not only to embrace my ignorance, but have come to consider it an endearing character trait.

Not having any idea what I'm doing, computer-wise, makes every reboot an adventure. Given my sad and arid life, I need all the adrenalin I can get.

*how did you bargain with the Lord to revive your avatar?

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Well, having lived around, I have yet to discover an area with a monopoly on ignorance. Also, as you know, where I live isn't really considered the "South," anyway - Southerners are by far the minority. You're up bright and early and already in good form. I'm off for a Friday meeting with "Mr. Greens."

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@2 May 2003 - 06:35
    Well, having lived around, I have yet to discover an area with a monopoly on ignorance. Also, as you know, where I live isn't really considered the "South," anyway - Southerners are by far the minority. You're up bright and early and already in good form. I'm off for a Friday meeting with "Mr. Greens."
    You're certainly correct about the geographic equity of ignorance distribution, however, in my experience, only in the South do they glorify it.

Isn't it ironic that lawyers, students and advocates of the convoluted and counter-intuitive art called "law", spend so much time on fairways?

Back to topic...
    I shall now retest at pc pitstop and see if your suggestion made a quantifiable difference by their standards. If not....

FORE!!

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Ah-ignorance as virtue-I must remember that; I'd bet it has origins in "The Book of Blondes" by Lydia Longlegs.

It DOES make a wonderful tool, I believe, for information-gathering purposes.

When I've been down south, I have been impressed with the moxy of the women-THEY ARE QUICK! The natives that I talked to spotted me for a Yank by my hurried gait, then sought creative ways to let me know they were on to me.

My folks (just north of Atlanta) say they see more of their friends from everywhere now than they ever did previously. They have said they know more people who hail from the U.P. originally than native Georgians.

I'd just like to know how the hell I ended up here, and how to get out, in this rotten economy?

TIDE-why are Southern gas pumps slow, too? Seems down there 'molasses' is an adjective, not a noun.

Apologies for fouling the thread.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast