Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: Embyonic stem cell research

  1. #1
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    story

    Biologists have developed a technique for establishing colonies of human embryonic stem cells from an early human embryo without destroying it. This method, if confirmed in other laboratories, would seem to remove the principal objection to the research.
    So it looks like we can do embryonic stem cell research without "murdering the embryo"


    Emily Lawrimore, a White House spokeswoman, suggested that the new procedure would not satisfy the objections of Mr. Bush, who vetoed legislation in July that would have expanded federally financed embryonic stem cell research. Though Ms. Lawrimore called it encouraging that scientists were moving away from destroying embryos, she said: “Any use of human embryos for research purposes raises serious ethical questions. This technique does not resolve those concerns.”

    I never understood the argument that we couldn't use public funds for research using embryos that were going to be discarded anyway, but apparently there is some other "ethical" problem with just taking one cell and leaving the embryo alive and unharmed......... I am assuming they would still be taking the cells from the excess embryos , so would the unharmed embryo then still be discarded?

    We take blood and tissue from humans all the time for tests, is it unethical to use that for research?

    Anyone got any idea what ethical problem there could be ? serious question

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near border
    Posts
    527
    Religious problem. Bush even says if a women gets raped and a she gets a child she has to keep it, but mr. bush says that only because he knows where he lives and what he is told to say, not that he is a christian, i don't belive that. They are afraid that humans could clone humans. Than why do u need god, its not like god created me, i know who did haha. But let me know when we can clone a human brain. Cloning may be good for medical purpose but i dubt that this will be like that very soon.

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    What religious problem?
    The new technique would be performed on a two-day-old embryo, after the fertilized egg has divided into eight cells, known as blastomeres. In fertility clinics, where the embryo is available outside the woman in the normal course of in vitro fertilization, one of these blastomeres can be removed for diagnostic tests, like for Down syndrome.

    The embryo, now with seven cells, can be implanted in the woman if no defect is found. Many such embryos have grown into apparently healthy babies over the 10 years or so the diagnostic tests have been used.

    Up to now, human embryonic stem cells have been derived at a later stage of development, when the embryo consists of about 150 cells. Both this stage, called the blastocyst, and the earlier eight-cell stage, occur before the embryo implants in the wall of the womb. Harvesting the blastocyst-stage cells kills the embryo, a principal objection of those who oppose the research.
    The embyo is unharmed and if implanted into a woman will grow normally.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9,747
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post

    I never understood the argument that we couldn't use public funds for research using embryos that were going to be discarded anyway
    That's because you don't think of the unborn as being human beings. Some people do. What you would then be discussing is human beings who were going to be discarded anyway.

    Medical science made great leaps forward by the research of nazi scientists, researching on human beings who were going to be discarded anyway.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I never understood the argument that we couldn't use public funds for research using embryos that were going to be discarded anyway
    The reason why there are cemetaries. People regard a grave site and a person's remains as being the person.

    There is an attachment to what has lived.

    McDonald's throws out food everyday but a McDonald's worker cannot give the food away.

    I say that anyone that makes stink about an embryo (that's going to get discarded anyway) adopt it or STFU about furthering medical research. Some have and I applaud them....reallly.

    "Hey don't use that embryo for medical research. Throw it out."

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,509
    The difficulty is that we all have pretty much different views on where to draw the line regarding the issue of what counts as a human being and what doesn't.

    Pro life campaigners and those of religious persuation regard the very moment that a sperm penetrates an egg as being the beginning a a human life. At the opposite end of the scale The Abortion Act allows abortion up to 24 weeks, and up to and even during birth where the unborn child is thought to be disabled. Most of us are caught on the scale somewhere between these two reference points and as usual the religion, science and politics are the main players whilst the opinion of the man/woman on the street holds little sway.
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    Religious problem. Bush even says if a women gets raped and a she gets a child she has to keep it, but mr. bush says that only because he knows where he lives and what he is told to say, not that he is a christian, i don't belive that. They are afraid that humans could clone humans. Than why do u need god, its not like god created me, i know who did haha. But let me know when we can clone a human brain. Cloning may be good for medical purpose but i dubt that this will be like that very soon.
    Its going to be impossible to clone humans.....even if they research for years it won't happen. That theory is just as ridicilous as time travel.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    Its going to be impossible to clone humans.....even if they research for years it won't happen. That theory is just as ridicilous as time travel.
    Do you say that because you don't believe the end product of a human cloning would be a consious person with the ability to think? Or because you don't think it is physicaly possible to have a living person as a result of cloning? Or are you just saying that the end person would not be identical in every way?

    Personaly I think that if it isn't already possible, it will be sometime soon. I also do not have a problem with them doing it. Although I do think maybe we should focus on other things, such as ensuring we have the space/resources/ability to properly accomodate more people to begin with.

    We can't get along with the people we already have here on earth, no need to hurry figuring ways to make yet more

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by tracydani3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    Its going to be impossible to clone humans.....even if they research for years it won't happen. That theory is just as ridicilous as time travel.
    Do you say that because you don't believe the end product of a human cloning would be a consious person with the ability to think? Or because you don't think it is physicaly possible to have a living person as a result of cloning? Or are you just saying that the end person would not be identical in every way?

    Personaly I think that if it isn't already possible, it will be sometime soon. I also do not have a problem with them doing it. Although I do think maybe we should focus on other things, such as ensuring we have the space/resources/ability to properly accomodate more people to begin with.

    We can't get along with the people we already have here on earth, no need to hurry figuring ways to make yet more
    I would have to agree that if if cloning was possible then it would be a huge breakthrough and it would be like giving life. Also it could be used as a method of saving lives. But the fact that life is brought is hard to imagine....i mean i would believe that its not just as simple as assembling the bodily parts together......if so you could chop parts of each human and stick em together with super glue but...it is impossible. Also the clone would not be concious and it would lack the ability to think. I think no sorry i know that if cloning is possible then bringing back the dead would mean the same. You could take the cells of the dying person and bring him back. But no tis all impossible.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near border
    Posts
    527
    Well i said that human brain can't be cloned, they don't even know how its made , they only guess by now. No brain no human.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •