Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Strategies for Ratio

Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by seppypom View Post
    that can be what is going on, esp. on oink, on torrent that are older, you might see a bunch of leechers, but they are really just partial downloaders.

sometimes i only grab a few songs.

when i initial joined oink, i downloaded a Rosetta Stone pack, only to find that all the leechers where just partial seeders. and i got burned on the download.

so you need to stick with new stuff
    Gotten burned by that too. Lotta work to make up for that one.

<-

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by orb987 View Post
    I'm very new to the community as well as to downloading torrents in general. I've gained access to a few private trackers and am more than willing to share. Could someone please help me with some strategies to get a good ratio. I don't want to cheat ... I'm just seeing files with many seeders and no leechers and am wondering how I will ever get to a good ratio.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
    make sure you are forwarding your ports correctly and leave your machine on 24/7 to let it seed, if your worried about ratio watch what you download and try to get in on torrents in their infancy

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Member BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    thanks for the tip

I have never thought of this before ,many times ,when i finish dl and start to seed ,i strugle to reach 1:1 ,i think ,i will give it a try

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    If you have upload rights on your trackers then upload some files. All this partial download and cut on a new torrent is crap. Don't do that. Download files you want not partial or full files you don't want. Pointless that.

Or get a newserver a forget ratio problems
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    my technique is to always snatch hot files, like something everyone's been waiting a month to be released. grab it even if you are not going to keep it. then seed it 24/7 until you get a super good ratio on it. remember that you have to download a lot of crap first before you get the things you want. if all else fails, plan b. i used to ask my friend for files to seed. that should only be a last resort like on oink.

also, take advantage of free leech. snatch as much as possible in order to seed it back. i got into oink on a free leech period and that has helped me survive the ratio requirements. during free leech everyone is download and everyone is uploading. it's a gold mine.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    You just have to leave your computer on and seed it all the time.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy72 View Post
    All this partial download and cut on a new torrent is crap. Don't do that. Download files you want not partial or full files you don't want. Pointless that.
    I would usually agree with you, but that method is actually helping me out big time. I joined TL, and it was the first time I'd ever been on a tracker with such fast download speeds so I fell behind on my ratio. I didn't go over the 5GB mark though, so I didn't get to the point of no return. In order to catch up I've tried the "partial download" method, and it's really pulling me out of the hole I foolishly created for myself. It's the only time I've ever been in a hole on a tracker like this.

I will say this though, it's only worth doing when you're desperate.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Wish I had read this thread two days ago!

Any suggestions on how to get out of a hole I've already dug?

I had been holding on to a few trackers that I really wanted to use and was starting to lose them for inactivity,

So last night I panicked and downloaded like 1 tv show each from the three of these that were most likely to inactivate me right away for inactivity.

None of these were very TV oriented, I just didn't know what to get, and I was thinking a smaller file would be better. so of course the shows downloaded, and I'm guessing no-one will ever leech from them becuase tv torrents lose peers quick...

After reading this it sounds silly that I got tv shows with very little activity on them, but I was panicked. It was on wild-bytes, iplay and
    tvjunkies (at least that ones a tv site, but still same problem). I think the main reason why I got them, was because everything with lots of peers were very large files and I was scared to download something that big for my 1st download.

So now I need to get out of this hole quick,

Any suggestions on how to do some damage control?

If its obvious that these torrents are never going to get peers, how long should I keep them open to avoid it being considered a hit and run? I'm guessing a week, but have no idea.

I'm guessing that I will have to start a new torrent for using some of the stratiegies given here, but I'm not sure how large of a file to start with.
    Should I wait and keep these torrents open for a while before I start a new one? I don't want to dig a bigger hole.
    Last edited by torentcouple; 04-06-2007 at 02:39 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    RTFM's Avatar <? print "BCC"; ?> BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Popular TV Shows can be great if you jump on at the beginning, but you're right, they lose leechers pretty quickly. What I do for TV shows is just check the tracker a little while after the show airs, and wait for it to be uploaded. As for hit and run, on most trackers the rule is either a ratio of 1 or somewhere between 24 and 72 hours.

If you want to get out of the hole, I would recommend just checking the trackers and seeing what's new. Some of the new torrents are bound to be popular, and once they get a a few seeders and like 20 leechers, jump on and partially seed.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuasi View Post
    Popular TV Shows can be great if you jump on at the beginning, but you're right, they lose leechers pretty quickly. What I do for TV shows is just check the tracker a little while after the show airs, and wait for it to be uploaded. As for hit and run, on most trackers the rule is either a ratio of 1 or somewhere between 24 and 72 hours.

If you want to get out of the hole, I would recommend just checking the trackers and seeing what's new. Some of the new torrents are bound to be popular, and once they get a a few seeders and like 20 leechers, jump on and partially seed.
    I do TV shows too. RSR was hard for me at first (mainly cuz I'm usually uploading to romania from chicago), But then I started getting shows like 24 and lost from TL (which is easy to seed) and uploading them to RSR. I also do this with app packs.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast