Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast

Thread: Abortion Views

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    As far as I'm aware, no fetus has been granted human rights, likely because, as IC's already stated, it's not particularly human. That would be why this debate continues.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #142
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    j2k4

Sorry I mis-read your piece. I did start to read the whole thread , but started to get rather depressed - a bit lame I know. Although I don't agree with all your points I enjoy your contributions a lot. I have been impressed by how dignified most of the debate has been.

As I said, I am pro-choice, however, I have some sympathy with those who worry about over use of abortion as a means of family planning. Although I concede my concerns are more for the psychological well being of the woman rather than any religious beliefs I may have over the status of an unborn fetus.

To be honest, if I were a women I would want the right to make my own decisions and not for matters concerning my own body to be decided by some court. I don't believe many women go for an abortion with a song in their heart and have simply chosen the least worst option for them.

One can try to reduce abortion rates by standing outside a hospital and heckling (or kill in extreme cases) those involved in order to make abortion a worse option or one can try to make motherhood a more attractive option. The EU has chosen the latter and women now have strong legal employment protection, housing rights etc., Inevitably, this has caused a reaction amongst those who dislike to see business fettered in anyway. It would be ironic if it were not so sad, but these sources of discontent tend to be the same organs that give most prominence to the anti-abortion position.

As I get older it seems to me that little is coherent or thought through in the world of politics (using the term in its broadest sense). I have never really placed myself on the political map - being on the left on some issues and on the right on others. I guess I am a Utilitarian but sadly that is rather unfashionable these days. Bring back J. S. Mills!!

As a total aside, someone mentioned recovered memories earlier in the thread. Has anyone noticed that there are three distinct groups who use recovered memories 1) Alien abductees 2) Childhood abuse 3) Past lives. Invariably after hypnosis these groups are almost always successful in recovering the appropriate memory to their cause. How then can one be sure one wasn't abused by an alien in a previous life? Just a thought.

I am going on holiday for two weeks to sea, sun and sand will look in on my return.

I only loaded Kazaa so my daughter could download a tune or two - no idea it would be so interesting for an oldie too. B)
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #143
    Sorry yeah u're right, I thought the legal basis for disallowing abortions after 24weeks was because the foetus was accepted as having rights at that point, but i've just found out thats wrong (at least UK law) .

4. The Drawing Room   -   #144
    I just saw this in a bbc article, its from a report on Nelson Mandelas comments in Paris about aids.

But there was better news from Brazil where an aggressive safe sex campaign appears to have paid off.

Former President Fernando Henrique Cardoso rounded on the US for basing its Aids prevention programmes on sexual abstinence rather than condom use.

He urged the global community to learn from Brazil's example of setting up education campaigns, expanding basic health care and providing anti-retroviral drugs to all infected people.

Brazil has cut the death rate from Aids by 50% and hospitalisations by 75%, he told the conference.

"The Brazilian experience confirms that ambiguous and inconsistent messages like those [which] advocate abstinence and fidelity as solutions run the risk of generating a misleading sense of security," he said.

just thought it was relevant to the discussion a few pages back

5. The Drawing Room   -   #145
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    If those figures from Brazil are accurate, it goes to prove that "Just say know" trumps "Just say no" every time, eh?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #146
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I have went through and deleted a couple of posts and edited others (as little as possible, and i hope I have not changed the context of posts).

This is due to a PM pointing out that i would, prior to the thread re-opening.

My appologise to any posters affected.....I think i got the worst and most "offensive" to the people concerned.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #147
    This is not ment to be judgemental and does'nt necessary represent my views,
    but has anyone asked the question,

What if i was aborted how would i feel about it?

Now i know the question is a bit abstract, but with all the life experience you've had, how would you feel if someone would have taken that chance to experience it away from you?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #148
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by junkyardking@15 July 2003 - 00:02
    This is not ment to be judgemental and does'nt necessary represent my views,
    but has anyone asked the question,

What if i was aborted how would i feel about it?

Now i know the question is a bit abstract, but with all the life experience you've had, how would you feel if someone would have taken that chance to experience it away from you?
    An insightful and relevant question, junkyardking.

I'll start by saying I'm positive I would have been averse to the idea of being aborted; although by saying so I realize I've laid myself open to being accused of being a mere piece of primordial goo incapable of forming and having that opinion, which indicates my lack of understanding of the "when does life begin" question and serves to indicate my insensitivity to the dilemma of a woman in crisis, which woman can't be bothered (nor should she be) to concern herself over any question of greater import than "What about MY life? I didn't mean to get pregnant-or, if I did, I don't want a baby if I can't twist this guy's arm hard enough to make him marry me-I mean, Gee Whiz!"

Sorry, my imagination took over for a sec.....no wait-I don't have an imagination, I'm just......goo?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #149
    This is getting a bit deep and spiritual, if u were aborted u wouldn't feel anything about it, u wouldn't ever experience anything, quite simply u would never have been. Ur applying a soul to a collection of cells.

Last Sentence edited by RF

10. The Drawing Room   -   #150
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by ilw@15 July 2003 - 02:59
    a collection of cells.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast