Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Why the....

BANNED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post
    oh no you didnt asyomc!
    oh i did, it'll be nice to see if he comes back and reads it. these forums are unlike any other ones i use, i could make that comment elsewhere and the person would laugh or give me shit back for fun but here im guessing if he sees it he'll just get very angry and try to start attacking me. the only people i have problems with here are the ones on my ignore list and durex isnt on there so if you read this durex, i still love you babycakes...

now get back on my cock.

2. BitTorrent   -   #92
    9NINE's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    i think wiaw post is one of the factor but there are other factors

such as
    1- (member age )which i think is the effective factor
    2- type of education
    3- tracker history and facilities

3. BitTorrent   -   #93
    durex's Avatar PEACE AND LOVE BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by aysomc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post
    oh no you didnt asyomc!
    oh i did, it'll be nice to see if he comes back and reads it. these forums are unlike any other ones i use, i could make that comment elsewhere and the person would laugh or give me shit back for fun but here im guessing if he sees it he'll just get very angry and try to start attacking me. the only people i have problems with here are the ones on my ignore list and durex isnt on there so if you read this durex, i still love you babycakes...

now get back on my cock.
    Well i was expecting something better from you than an easy joke about a (metaphor) nickname, but i suppose is always the easier way when we are out of ideas.
    Nevermind ... i also still love you .

4. BitTorrent   -   #94
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by celtic View Post
    Fascination with F*N /S*T/F*C/U**/F*** ?

Can people tell me why they are so keen to get into these sites ?
    Im on them all, and without sounding like i hate them (which i dont, since most of the staff on all of them are friends/co-workers of mine).

People go to extreme lengths to get any of these but its pure madness IMO.

Dont people realise this is the internet, there are plenty of sites that have exactly the same content/speeds etc.

If people didnt rate them so high etc & the number of cheaters wasnt so great, Trades were none existant. You realise you'd have no trouble getting them right?

Answer my question with your view/etc etc dont spam it & ruin plz.

celtic
    why do people "go to extreme lengths" or pay a "high price" for those sites?

i could write an essay about this, celtic, but i'm too lazy.

here are a few catchwords for you. if you are really interested in the question you asked, do some research on them and you will find answers:

-demand for rare/luxury commodities
    -snob effect
    -network effect
    -bandwagon effect
    -positive feedback loop
    -giffen good
    -veblen good
    -scarcity value
    Last edited by Polarbear; 11-28-2007 at 10:16 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #95
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Actually the snob effect isn't relevant here. It implies that people want to be different. Many people misconstrue what being a snob really means in business.

The bandwagon effect and the positive feedback loop on the other hand are two things that make them more wanted.

BTW thanks for actually making me learn something today. I had no idea what giffen good was until looking it up. For the traders here that is quite relevant as well.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 11-28-2007 at 10:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

6. BitTorrent   -   #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Skies View Post
    Actually the snob effect isn't relevant here.
    are you sure?

the snob effect refers to the desire to own exclusive or unique goods. These goods usually have a high economic value, but low practical value. The less of an item available, the higher its snob value.
    Collectors within a specific field can suffer from snob effect, searching for the rarest and often most expensive collectables.
    replace "most expensive" with "most begged/posted/traded for" and you have an almost perfect match of the snob effect on rare trackers.

7. BitTorrent   -   #97
    The snob effect doesn't have to be expensive or well known. People influenced by the snob effect want to be different. This can range from making our own clothes to buying unique goods. Prize can be, but is hardly ever a factor. The architect that makes $500.000 a year but still buys out of date clothes from a second hand store, coupled with some of his own homemade pieces is a snob.

I am taking my A-Levels in sales and see that common mistake often. It's so common that even wikipedia, which in most cases has correct, though lacking info, is wrong.

What you are insinuating is the veblen effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 11-28-2007 at 10:49 PM.
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

8. BitTorrent   -   #98
    The snob effect doesn't have to be expensive or well known. People influenced by the snob effect want to be different. This can range from making our own clothes to buying unique goods. Prize can be, but is hardly ever a factor. The architect that makes $500.000 a year but still buys out of date clothes from a second hand store, coupled with some of his own homemade pieces is a snob.

I am taking my A-Levels in sales and see that common mistake often. It's so common that even wikipedia, which in most cases has correct, though lacking info, is wrong.

read "Bandwagon, Snob, and Veblen Effects in the Theory of Consumers' Demand"
    H. Leibenstein

published in 1950.

i have a phd in economics and political science but i'm lazy and i'm here to talk about bittorrent.

9. BitTorrent   -   #99
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    personally i think the "what invites are worth" thread was about the worst idea ever. it was basically an invite traders guide for torrent sites.

rating a site by rarity, and then trying ur best to join it is retarded. im on quite a few sites, but only regularly use 2 of them, oink was a 3rd till it got took down.

i've delacct.php on sites that i dont use, that allow u to delete ur account. including on ftwr. being rare means nothing. any site could close its doors and delete all invites and suddenly become rarer, doesnt make it better though. i like sites for their community, forums and for nice packs.

10. BitTorrent   -   #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

read "Bandwagon, Snob, and Veblen Effects in the Theory of Consumers' Demand"
    H. Leibenstein

published in 1950.

i have a phd in economics and political science but i'm lazy and i'm here to talk about bittorrent.
    Then it's pretty strange mixing up the Veblen and the Snob effect. Try reading something published after year 2000. business analysis and consumer habits have actually evolved since the 50's.

These theory's have been further analyzed and been built on. One of these things is further splitting up the snob and veblen effect to not be the exact same thing.

The Veblen effect is the show off effect, while the Snob effect is wanting to be different.

Also there is a 4th social motive used now, also a further development from that theory, called the Thrifty effect or the counter-veblen effect. This because of the great deal of people that didn't fit into any of those 3 mentioned earlier.

A theory is only a theory. It can be disputed or be further improved along the way, which has happened to this one.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 11-29-2007 at 12:14 AM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast