Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ScT Anti-Cheating System

whitmar's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by SaviouR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whitmar View Post
    Does anyone know of some legitimate practice that an honest person could do that might trigger a false cheating report?
    if that is known , everyone will give that excuse for unbanning themselves .
    You're right, of course. I'm just trying to do everything I can to stay beyond reproach.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by whitmar View Post
    Does anyone know of some legitimate practice that an honest person could do that might trigger a false cheating report?
    intersting question and i could give you some answers. but it would not be appropriate to discuss this on a public forum. too many stupid real cheater would indeed take that as their next excuse.

in fact techniques somehow related to cheating or cheating detection shouldn't be discussed here at all.

there are enough forums discussing that crap already.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    RIFKinator's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    I've always wanted to get into ScT but it seems like it's fucking gay now :/

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Poster BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Quote Originally Posted by tatootian View Post
    I've always wanted to get into ScT but it seems like it's fucking gay now :/
    You will find that there are difference styles of running a torrent site, and that style will become prevalent as the image of the site itself. Scenetorrents is no worse nor no better than many other sites out there of similar quality. To say that it doesn't have what you want and doesn't have a set up in place that provides incredibly fast speeds is erroneous.
    Ask me about my self-esteem!

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    jonny81985's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    yea i got banned there too and i never cheated

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    GRB23's Avatar dRiNKiN_pARk BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    is preseeding allowed on SCT?

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Poster BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    I've been banned from sct because of "client spoofing", and I find that odd considering I don't even know what that mean. Ive been using utorrent to download my files and I've never had a problem before. Also, I've been banned from sct's support channel for some reason, so if you are a sct mod/adm please PM to let me explain myself.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    I bewail the problem of cheaters being so severe that the whole communication and interaction of honest users gets stressed.. I can't completely understand how someone would be a liar for such unimportant reason. It's a bad thing how they throw whole communities into distrust. I love how this community still upholds a convenient ambience, being fair to everybody and expecting the truly user who often maybe
    Last edited by Sonnentier; 01-15-2008 at 02:22 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Nothing is foolproof, and this from the person who first conceived cheat detection.

There are ways to detect cheat clients, and there are methods to detect cheaters using other methods, but we must also remember that we are dealing with the internet, where anything can, and does, happen, sometimes without provocation.

Also, we must remember that it doesn't matter how well constructed a genuine client is, even that can have a funny five minutes and send data that could be construed as a cheat.

I have even seen a situation where a client sent two events and the second one arrived before the first one, causing a trigger, even though both were acknowledged.

Finally, even humans screw up. I recently uncovered a rare bug in my own code that accidentally assigned a cheat detection to the wrong member. While this alert was minimal, it could have had some negative effects for those it did affect. Thankfully, one of the alerts pointed to someone we trusted, so some serious digging showed the error in the logic. Never trust a human to get it right...

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    Nothing is foolproof, and this from the person who first conceived cheat detection.

There are ways to detect cheat clients, and there are methods to detect cheaters using other methods, but we must also remember that we are dealing with the internet, where anything can, and does, happen, sometimes without provocation.

Also, we must remember that it doesn't matter how well constructed a genuine client is, even that can have a funny five minutes and send data that could be construed as a cheat.

I have even seen a situation where a client sent two events and the second one arrived before the first one, causing a trigger, even though both were acknowledged.

Finally, even humans screw up. I recently uncovered a rare bug in my own code that accidentally assigned a cheat detection to the wrong member. While this alert was minimal, it could have had some negative effects for those it did affect. Thankfully, one of the alerts pointed to someone we trusted, so some serious digging showed the error in the logic. Never trust a human to get it right...
    Which is like the Marion Jones syndrome, took them 5 years to detect what she was taking, some sort of EPO crap, but every drug test she took in that time she passed.

One side is always using whatever means they have at their disposal to outwit the other, and we can only hope that cheaters get the outing they deserve, it may not be today, but they will be caught at some time in the future.

As for human failings, well no matter how much I protested, I am still banned from a site for what one admin thinks I did, and no amount of me pleading my innocence will convince him otherwise, and no amount of asking them to check references at other places works, yet I am still stuck with that one stigma that feels like dog shit that left a stained smell that lingers forever no matter how many times I shower.

Anyway, keep up the detection work and in the end the bad will be booted and the good will be exonerated.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast