Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to donate to private trackers?

Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSister View Post

and no, nobody needs to pay. if you want to help out, thats fine, and thank the community, perfectly understandable. but: firstly, beware of the dangers of some shady staff, that pirate your credit card through paypal fraud, and secondly, you never have to pay. it goes against what we do. its meant to be free.

OK, nobody needs to pay... you and me and thousands of people download all we want, but... wait!... who pays the bills?, because, my friend, servers cost money, they canīt go to their datacenter and pay the bill with invites or with statistics.
    Or do you expect that besides giving you that service they have to pay from their own pocket?.
    I donīt mean that they get rich, but at least, at least... they must get what they pay in cash, not in promises or ethereal things with the excuse of "this wonderful sharing world of ours".
    No money, no servers.... no servers, not a shit. Just as simple as that.
    And once they receive that amount, weīll still owe them their time and dedication, and letīs not get into risks they have, etc, etc.

2. BitTorrent   -   #72
    JROQuinn's Avatar Rev. Maynard BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Why are people against p2l anyway? You still have to seed for a certain amount of time anyway & after that time is up there are so many seeders with seed boxes that people with lower speeds cant reach that 1:1 ratio anyway. So pay to leech, you are helping yourself & the tracker. Also who cares what they do with the money. As long as the site is maintained as it should. Its not like we are donating to cure aids or cancer.
    But I dont donate, I would but I have reasons for being financially strapped for the time being.

but its easy to seed & keep a good ratio & buffer. Just dont ever delete until you get there. If you can afford to donate then you can afford to get a good deal on a hard drive.

this will help with seeding
    Last edited by JROQuinn; 04-08-2008 at 11:22 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #73
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    And one more thing I forgot: donations itīs something you make if you want, itīs not something you have to do or get a ban. Itīs a choice.
    Iīve been torrenting since the beginning, and no matter what some people say, Iīve never seen anybody banned or disabled for not donate.
    And as somebody said before... there is nothing more fair and less demanding than give at least what you get... buying upload helps a lot to those who donīt have a good connection. Itīs a better option than being disabled because you canīt give back what you got.
    Unfortunately -Stoi correct me if I am wrong- without donors, no private trackers... or a parade of publicity, ads and tons of crap.

4. BitTorrent   -   #74
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well i can only say about us.

No donations = i couldnt afford to pay it, even if i had a decent job, tbh why should i pay it all, not meaning that to sound nasty, but i have put 4-5 years into it, i dont even really use it anymore tbh, so its there for yous, not for me. so if i had to fork out the cash every month, then i dont think it would last long.

we also tried ads on the site, those didnt work either, with adblock no one ever sees them, also we do not get that many hits a day (not compared to public trackers, TPB etc) so i can see how they can make a forune, but for us, it just wasnt worth it.

But if the RIAA is correct, most P2P is run by Criminals and Terrorists (why they would want to i have no idea though lol) so maybe those ones dont need any donations and will stay alive forever.

5. BitTorrent   -   #75
    Zaxx's Avatar Ol' Skool P2P BT Rep: +3
    I don't mind donating to my fav trackers at all. I pick one about every other month and usually give ~$20 US. I don't do it for the 'GBs' really, I have a 20Mb/2Mb line..ratios are easy, I give cuz I know from personal experience(s) what it takes to run a 0Day tracker...money and LOTS of work/time spent. If the site I donate to happens to give GBs for donations...so be it...it's all good.
    "It's not what ya got, it's what you give."
    Please do not PM me for invites. Thx.

6. BitTorrent   -   #76
    Bunnies on Fiber!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Seedboxes are another form of elitism. The best ratio is no more than 2:1 allows other people a chance to seed.I willing to be proven wrong though.

not in all cases ^^, seederboxes are also used by some people just to keep old torrents (who almost noone ever snatches animore alive ). (not to mention that most sites use a seederbox to ensure decent speeds on new stuff)

personally i have a small 10 megabits fiberline, which is more than enough to keep older stuff alive for people, (everyone always will snatch older stuff eventually) and to also join in on fresh stuff, and try to give everyone a piece of the speeds they deserve

what acocunts to donations, its up to you tough, if you want to spend more than 50 bucks at once, i seriously could suggest you to get a small 10 megabits unmetered box at leaseweb, or vectoral, and then send some small bucks to the smaller sites who can really use the money as a financial buffer on the lesser months, as almost everyone who donates, only donates to the bigger sites, who in their turn, reward you with some stuff which should be free in the furst place

also, every self respecting site, has their own ircchannel, which usually also can provide a small reward in the form of an irc-idlebonus(which can give you a small push into the right way ), and you can mostly find out of which quality the staffers are on the site , as staff and sysops who treat their userts bad, are usually just a bunch of dumbfucks irl too
    looking for invite to last.fm

7. BitTorrent   -   #77
    KravenX's Avatar CZ Adm|n & sFZ Help
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    But if the RIAA is correct, most P2P is run by Criminals and Terrorists (why they would want to i have no idea though lol) so maybe those ones dont need any donations and will stay alive forever.
    I wouldn`t be surprised if RIAA will say that p2p owners were involved in 9/11 attacks

8. BitTorrent   -   #78
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by claudandus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Seedboxes are another form of elitism. The best ratio is no more than 2:1 allows other people a chance to seed.I willing to be proven wrong though.
    not in all cases ^^, seederboxes are also used by some people just to keep old torrents (who almost noone ever snatches animore alive ).

personally i have a small 10 megabits fiberline, which is more than enough to keep older stuff alive for people, (everyone always will snatch older stuff eventually) and to also join in on fresh stuff, and try to give everyone a piece of the speeds they deserve
    I think that you're in a tiny minority,but it's nice to now that there are people like you out there.

9. BitTorrent   -   #79
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSister View Post
    soulreaper keeping a positive ratio simply depends on your managerial skills.

us with lower upstreams just have to organize out leeching, prioritywise. download stuff that is very popular, for example. the best strategy is to download something that is very big in size (30GB or +) and very popular. this way you will get over 1.5 ratio on it.

keep doing that, and with the buffer you can now get things that are less leeched, and seeded. rarer stuff you know less people will want.

and no, nobody needs to pay. if you want to help out, thats fine, and thank the community, perfectly understandable. but: firstly, beware of the dangers of some shady staff, that pirate your credit card through paypal fraud, and secondly, you never have to pay. it goes against what we do. its meant to be free.

people paying are usually paying for news access. and even then you can also get it free, if you're smart enough.

paying is only a last and desperate measure. and even then, it should be very carefully considered beforehand.
    Thx for the tip but it's hard to implement managerial skills with an updown speed of 20kb each but you probably knew that already.

10. BitTorrent   -   #80
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    it is hard, not impossible.

i managed on a 1mbit connection for 2/3 years to leech and upload from many private trackers. my upload speek max was around 30kb/s usually. and maybe even that is exaggerating. so...as i said, its not impossible.

and yes, of course servers cost money, and help is good, i think some people like Nemrod didn't read my post completely...i did state those obvious factors. BTW if people make trackers they obviously have to understand that it's gonna cost money, so if there aren't money-making schemes on the side, or some startup cash, then why bother? i mean it's not like all of us NEED this...there are private stros as well, and news...BT is not the ultimate dl'ing source...so no, i don't think we should all be forced to pay to keep our ratio up (in some sites like BitMe, BitSoup, etc). it's a fuc*ing scam.

what i mean is i have had rough experience in the past with this kind of thing, and so it is natural that i should be wary of donating atm. at least to Pisexy. and no, i didn't invent this. i had already seen with some shares from other priv-trackers warnings about pisexy's paypal fraud antics. and then it happened to me.

ultimately, i'm just giving my carefully thought out advice to the original poster of this thread. frankly you can think what you like (those who somehow seem to miss my obvious logic), it's not like my opinion/experience is going to change regardless.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast