Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Rarred or Unrarred?

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali-g View Post
    The main function of rars (great resource in big files) is so if u have a corrupted file, u DL only the file that is corrupted(the rar piece), u dont have to DL the whole thing again.
    i know but i don't use ftp. i prefer bittorrent.

2. BitTorrent   -   #92
    Eargasm's Avatar Whoa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    well i would much prefer to download a 50 meg rar again, than a 25 gig PS3 game ISO say. or a 50 gig Blue ray movie.
    I'd rather redownload a 50GB Bluray movie once in a 3 years than download every Bluray movie RAR'd, and have to deal with extra time and processing and wasted HDD space.

That said, I've only had a corrupt file one time out of thousands, and it was part of a RAR set dl via usenet. Never had anything corrupt via Bittorrent that wasn't already corrupt on the seeder's system.

3. BitTorrent   -   #93
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well thats why you use Pars on Usenet, it fixes them.

and hmm extra time and processing, 5 minutes tops to unrar, HDD space is really cheap these days. so i dont see the problem at all.

4. BitTorrent   -   #94
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    well thats why you use Pars on Usenet, it fixes them.

and hmm extra time and processing, 5 minutes tops to unrar, HDD space is really cheap these days. so i dont see the problem at all.
    5 minutes of my life gone, lets say per week, equals a total of about two weeks lost in a lifetime. Considering that, statistically, I'm less than halfway through my life... I could very well lose more than a week of my life this way.

That said, I'm sure I'm wasting much much more by hanging out here(avoids the math).

5. BitTorrent   -   #95
    lukee's Avatar Suit up!
    This might sound weird. but i refer to rars as packaging. Here's a good metaphor: When i buy a DVD i always keep the case to store my DVD in. i don't simply take the disc out and put in in a CD holder. (rar's being the casing, dvd being the file)

6. BitTorrent   -   #96
    Quote Originally Posted by lukee View Post
    This might sound weird. but i refer to rars as packaging. Here's a good metaphor: When i buy a DVD i always keep the case to store my DVD in. i don't simply take the disc out and put in in a CD holder. (rar's being the casing, dvd being the file)
    I always hate packaging. It's extra crap. That said, I actually sold or gave away all of my DVDs because I hated the idea of having that extra garbage around - I prefer to just have it in digital format on a more efficient storage platform, takes up less space that way. Yes, I'm a minimalist.

7. BitTorrent   -   #97
    walkman79's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    The Bittorrent protocol already has its ways to check the data which is being transferred. FTP doesn't have integrity check and it doesn't handle pieces as bittorrent, so if you get a corrupted file or the transfer is interrupted you must download the whole file again because the receiver has no way to know if the received file is complete or not. Usenet is even older than FTP and that's why the standard method of uploading binary content to Usenet is to first archive the files into RAR archives then create some parchive files. That's why RAR files exist, because most of the warez were/are created by their providers for either FTP sites or Newsgroups.

http://wiki.theory.org/index.php/Bit...File_Structure

The peer distributing a data file treats the file as a number of identically-sized pieces, typically between 64 kB and 4 MB each. The peer creates a checksum for each piece, using the SHA1 hashing algorithm, and records it in the torrent file. Pieces with sizes greater than 512 kB will reduce the size of a torrent file for a very large payload, but is claimed to reduce the efficiency of the protocol

Corruption of files could happen even with torrents. But it's pretty annoying to unrar my files after I download something. I don't have any problem to check the pieces of a torrent if it would ever be needed. Actually, I think I did it a couple of times, but I have had to unrar hundreds of times

8. BitTorrent   -   #98
    lukee's Avatar Suit up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lukee View Post
    I always hate packaging. It's extra crap. That said, I actually sold or gave away all of my DVDs because I hated the idea of having that extra garbage around - I prefer to just have it in digital format on a more efficient storage platform, takes up less space that way. Yes, I'm a minimalist.
    omg lmao same here i gave away all my DVD's to charity and shit

9. BitTorrent   -   #99
    yakz091's Avatar The Encapsulator BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    personally imho the files should be rared especially the video files, apart from efficiency and security, there are many problems u can come across if video files are not rared.

10. BitTorrent   -   #100
    Rarred or Unrarred? It does not matter at all to me.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast