Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Rarred or Unrarred?

deadalive1's Avatar VS ***** BT Rep: +2
    I can see unrar'd if you have a slow PC but if you have the processor speed it doesn't matter. At least in my case it doesn't. I prefer rar'd, if a rar file is bad you only need to download the fix for that 1 file.
    Please do not randomly PM asking for invites as I have none to give out. Have a nice day.

2. BitTorrent   -   #132
    deadalive1's Avatar VS ***** BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr33don View Post
    I prefer unrar'd because I don't use programs to watch RAR'D videos and plus after I unrar a file I basically get double what I originally got and I'm limited on harddrive space. :>
    That's why you delete the rar files after you unpacked them (of course after you have seeded said file back).

Edit: damn lag caused double post. :S
    Last edited by deadalive1; 07-23-2008 at 04:42 PM.
    Please do not randomly PM asking for invites as I have none to give out. Have a nice day.

3. BitTorrent   -   #133
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    When you think about it, it's not whether we prefer RARd or not, it's whether we want 0day or not.

0Day from general 0day trackers will always be RARd, no getting away from that, it's how it is, racers from FTPs take it direct from scene FTPs and up it as fast as they can to their trackers, and guess what, it's in RARs. No choice. Most trackers will ergo want their upped stuff to be as it was meant to be when released, much easier to fix a scene release later than a non-scene release.

The only choice we have is where we get our stuff from, and if you look around, there are now plenty of non 0day sites offering torrents not in RARd format, it's just a matter of matching your tastes to the tracker that can supply them, if you are fussy with what you are looking for, then ask and see if any tracker can supply unRARd files that suit your needs.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #134
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Another reason, and dont hold me to this, im 70/30 on this one but i think its correct.

If you download an Avi, your ISP can see its an Avi.

If you download an MP3, your ISP can see you downloaded an MP3.

If you download a rar, thats all your isp can see, its a rar file, they have no idea whats actually in that rar.

so if that is true, then raring is safer for everyone concerned. (i read it somewhere, cant remember where now though, so i may be wrong, just before i get bashed for being wrong lol)

5. BitTorrent   -   #135
    Unrar'd for bit-torrent, rars for ftp.

I'll give you a good example of why I like them unrar'd, I'll download an unrar'd movie to my seedbox, then start ftp. I can start watching the movie while its still downloading (stream).

Rar's for the scene though are important, dupe scripts are run on the files, if a .avi is uploaded, dupe script prevents anyone else joining the race, pre times would suck, and racers would never gain credit. Hence the main reason for split files. Are more good reasons too, but that's good enough for now.

Bit torrents CRC, its flawless (SHA1). If an uploader goes for pre times and misses out a simply sfv check before making the torrent, blame him, not bit torrent.

If you download an Avi, your ISP can see its an Avi.
    Scene rar's are named *.001 etc. So they could see you downloading a scene release just as easy.

As for trackers keeping files rar'd, it makes life easy for uploaders, but can cause issues for the end user.
    Last edited by Dr0; 07-24-2008 at 10:42 PM.
    So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.
    - Sun Tzu

6. BitTorrent   -   #136
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    um not all scene releases come like that, and not all rars that are like that are scene releases.

you cant get a letter off your ISP and they say

"you were downloading files with .001 on the end, which is copywrited material, we know because scene rars come like that".

if you download a .MP3 they can then say you were downloading an illegal album.

But like i said, im not 100% sure on this one, so im not going to argue the toss over it.

and i have already coverd that its not 100% flawless, 99% maybe but not 100%, so i wont go down that route again.

7. BitTorrent   -   #137
    tknaught's Avatar +3 dB BT Rep: +2
    What does it matter if your ISP can tell if you are downloading an MP3 or an AVI or a RAR? There's nothing illegal about MP3 or AVI.

8. BitTorrent   -   #138
    well if your in the UK atm probably a hell of a lot.

But anyway, im starting to see the benefits of torrentzip, if you have the same file on your PC, you can just torrentzip it up and you have already completed that file.

it still doesnt get around the fact you need 2 of the same thing on your PC, but it does seem a lot more practical than rars (especially for things like NDS/PSP packs.

9. BitTorrent   -   #139
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    um not all scene releases come like that, and not all rars that are like that are scene releases.

you cant get a letter off your ISP and they say

"you were downloading files with .001 on the end, which is copywrited material, we know because scene rars come like that".

if you download a .MP3 they can then say you were downloading an illegal album.

But like i said, im not 100% sure on this one, so im not going to argue the toss over it.

and i have already coverd that its not 100% flawless, 99% maybe but not 100%, so i wont go down that route again.
    .mp3 can be downloaded in all places, the BBC website for example has sections of the news from radio shows you can listen to, they are in .mp3 format. ISP's have no technology to determine if a part file is legal or not. Its all 1's and 0's at the end of the day.

My point above was, your no more protected from snooping whether you are downloading a .avi, .mp3 or .rar. The way a letter gets sent is simply; someone is logging your IP address while your connected to the swarm, they send a letter to the IP address owner (your isp). So your wrong, it makes no difference at all to rar files on bit torrent. You'll still get caught, don't spread crap that people may start to think they are safe because they only download rar's.

Your also wrong about bit torrents CRC, because it checks each of the little pieces, its much less likely to fail than an SHA1 hash on a full file. For it to pass a failed piece the corruption would have to match the original SHA1 hash. To become corrupt in transfer, on all members of the swarm, and match the original SHA1 hash is impossible! Your uploader made the mistake!
    Last edited by Dr0; 07-25-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.
    - Sun Tzu

10. BitTorrent   -   #140
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Everything should be compressed because in the event that something can actually be reduced in size it is all worth it. Plus the compatibility with other sites is a great plus