Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downloading music- What file type?

When downloading music and wanting to get the best quality possible, what file types should I look for? I know FLAC files have better quality than MP3s, so I will Google an album name and add the words "torrent" and "FLAC", but some albums I'm looking for aren't shared in FLAC format (or at least i can't find them).

Any other suggestions? What do you folks do to get the best quality you can out of your music downloads?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Flac is considered lossless. In other words it is an exact duplicate of the CD or original source. MP3s are lossy. There is a loss of quality when ripping music from a source such as a cd/record/tape/etc into MP3 format.

That being said, generally, your best MP3 format will be what is called "V0" which is a variable bitrate.

I would also suggest only downloading music in 192k or higher. Any lower than that and the poor quality can really show begin to show.
    Last edited by Skiz; 05-18-2009 at 04:17 AM.

yo

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    djerholler69's Avatar Love Bytes! BT Rep: +3
    flac is great due to the ability of 'archiving' your music, and being able to transcode lossless-lossy should you need to save space/put it in your ipod. due to the huge amount of space however, most use lame v0/v2 encoding for size/quality efficiency.

yep, and of course never attempt to transcode lossy-lossy, it never works and it just screws your files up. for flac downloads, maybe you could try usenet, or get access to certain private trackers

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    FLAC ofc.
    The ability to encode it into any format of your choice makes it the best format to share music in.If you have a decent setup , you can always hear the difference between an MP3 and a FLAC.
    Best places to grab FLACs from: Pedros' , What.cd, waffles and E****.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    FLAC is not the only lossless audio format.

Quality wise, there is no difference between the various lossless audio codecs like FLAC, APE (Monkey's Audio), ALAC (Apple Lossless), WavPack etc. - lossless is lossless, which means that there is no information lost in the encoding process (in contrast to lossy algorithms like mp3), and hence no quality difference to the uncompressed (.wav) format. You can compare it to file compression on your PC (e.g. .zip/.rar) -> reduction of the file size without any information being lost.

The only difference between the various lossless formats is efficiency (some compress better than others) and especially compatibility. FLAC is the de-facto lossless audio standard now, because it is efficient and free (open source -> no licence costs), and hence already supported by various audio hardware. FLAC therefore is the most compatible lossless audio codec, and first choice not just for pirates.

So if you can't find the music you are looking for in the FLAC format, try searching for other lossless formats as listed above. You can always convert them to the (lossless) format of your choice without any quality loss.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    FLAC is using such a big place... lol, 500 MB for an album and even more ? wtf
    almost the size of a DVDRip LOOOL...

anyways i say grab good EAC's n VBR Rips n u'll be alright if you don't wanna waste space on hdd...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    newsgroupie
    Before FLAC got popular, Monkey's Audio (.APE) files were by far the most common lossless format on P2P, and you still see a lot of them on the ED2K network.

Just because it's lossless does not mean it's perfect; lossless files can still have skips and errors in them if the wav was poorly ripped or the CD was scratched. (That's when EAC comes in handy)

But for me, as hard as I've tried, I can't tell any difference whatsoever between a lossless and a high-bitrate MP3, and I doubt that many people can either.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Before FLAC got popular, Monkey's Audio (.APE) files were by far the most common lossless format on P2P, and you still see a lot of them on the ED2K network.

Just because it's lossless does not mean it's perfect; lossless files can still have skips and errors in them if the wav was poorly ripped or the CD was scratched. (That's when EAC comes in handy)

But for me, as hard as I've tried, I can't tell any difference whatsoever between a lossless and a high-bitrate MP3, and I doubt that many people can either.
    What's also rarely mentioned is that CD's are actually a lossy encoding of the original studio recording. Studios record at a much high frequency and have a MUCH higher bit depth. You can sometimes get the original studio quality (or very close to it) with DVD-Audio or SACD. Those who say they have a great sound system should seriously look into DVD-A's and SACD's. If you hear the difference between CDs and V0 mp3's, Then you'll definately hear the difference between HD-Audio and CD's. Regular CD's will sound like crap in comparison.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post

What's also rarely mentioned is that CD's are actually a lossy encoding of the original studio recording. Studios record at a much high frequency and have a MUCH higher bit depth. You can sometimes get the original studio quality (or very close to it) with DVD-Audio or SACD. Those who say they have a great sound system should seriously look into DVD-A's and SACD's. If you hear the difference between CDs and V0 mp3's, Then you'll definately hear the difference between HD-Audio and CD's. Regular CD's will sound like crap in comparison.
    Thats true.
    DVD-As and SACDs offer a higher bitrate and multiple channels.
    They are the future

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    I encode my music into 32kb/s M4A format. Can't notice the difference than with 192kB/s MP3 format. Guess I should get my ears tested. :/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast