Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Killer

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    The Kiler Posted on 11 October 2003 - 08:34
    I have 2 IDE cables. I tested both and the harddives still died. 1 IDE made the BIOS detection slower. Right now, I'm such an idiot. I have to plug in the floppy drive.
    That's NOT what I meant. What is the master on your primary IDE? What is the slave on your primary IDE? What is the master on your secondary IDE? What is the slave on your secondary IDE?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    get a new mobo and stuff.. somethins zapp"in them

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Originally posted by zapjb@11 October 2003 - 09:37
    The Kiler Posted on 11 October 2003 - 08:34
    I have 2 IDE cables. I tested both and the harddives still died. 1 IDE made the BIOS detection slower. Right now, I'm such an idiot. I have to plug in the floppy drive.
    That's NOT what I meant. What is the master on your primary IDE? What is the slave on your primary IDE? What is the master on your secondary IDE? What is the slave on your secondary IDE?
    I know what you mean. I tried all the ways. Secondary for CD-ROM and Primary for HDD. Windows crashes...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    OK if you fix this. Post the solution. GL.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@11 October 2003 - 17:15
    get a new mobo and stuff.. somethins zapp"in them
    Good idea.I have heard nothing but bad comments on these PCchips boards (formerly PCwave). I suppose you can't expect too much when you pay less than 100 bucks canadian for a board with "everything " integrated (CPU,video card,lan,modem,sound). All in all I'd have to say you have a problem with the board or something other than the drives themselves. I have owned about ten hard drives and have yet to kill one.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    I'm on hard drive number 6... See how long this lasts.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    hmm you said window crashed ... this is a good sign actually it prove the hard drive is not totaly death ... it can read some information but then what's needed to continue booting is corrupt.

A hard drive can be *death* at many diferent places maybe some sector are corrupt, the MBR (MASTER BOOT RECORD) is corrupt or even critical file system information are corrupt (the File Alocation Table on fat16,32 volume or the equivalent i cant remember the name on NTFS)

if such a thing happen there will be utility to ban those sector on the hardrive surface so no file are written on it ... you migth at the worst lost one GB (that's REALLY A WORST CASE AS EACH SECTOR ARE LIKE 5ko)

the only thing that cannot be corected is actual physical damage to the pin (the little thing that read the HD surface ) or other electric conponment... this is most likely impossible under normal HD condition ...

then came the fact that so much hard drive *died* on this machine .... if you consider that a death hard drive is an hardrive that make window crashes then i'll quote one of my pal msn nick

"If only Billy had a buck for each time wind0z crashes.... oh wait he does "

i had 6 blue screen of death in half an hours trying to install and hp all in one printer under xp :S with alwais usefull error report such as IRCL_NOT_GREATER_OR_EQUAL

My point is there is so much thing that can crash window .... maybee your hardrive were 100% ok but window crashed becauz of a complete deferent reason and when crashing it corrupted your hard drive

Now the real question is do you wish to be helped or you only there to whine ... as long as you stick to your point of my hard drive are death and we cant recover them ... then you wont be able to recover them for sure

Now you might be rigth ... your computer migth be an *HARD DRIVE KILLER* however its very not probable that your hard drive are not recoverable ... try changing your ram and flashing your bios if he's upgradable

NOW from the description of your problem i can see you are more from a gamer than a programer you migth not bother to check your harddrive becauz you dont know about hard drive checker and such

you lucky .. a while ago i discovered the world of data recovery ... or how to pack the most expensive program on a cd

I'go check fro some software that can help you and hopefully provide a direct download link if you wish to cooperate

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Poster
    When your western digital drives died ,did you go to their website and download their different utilities for their drives? There is one they have that will write zero's on the whole drive so as to completely wipe everything on it,not just format it I mean totally remove everything even the boot sector.I had an old western digital drive that had smart technology and when I booted my comp it kept telling me on my statup screen that the drive was going to die.I down loaded that program and ran it and then reinstalled windows and that drive is still running to this day (2 years later).
    So basically what people are trying to tell you here is that the drive may not be completely dead there just may be something wrong with it that is making it hard for you to access the data.
    Did you try setting them up as slaves in another computer and seeing if you could access them as a slave drive?
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Harddrive 6 is now dead.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Originally posted by Pho3niX@12 October 2003 - 19:37
    hmm you said window crashed ... this is a good sign actually it prove the hard drive is not totaly death ... it can read some information but then what's needed to continue booting is corrupt.

A hard drive can be *death* at many diferent places maybe some sector are corrupt, the MBR (MASTER BOOT RECORD) is corrupt or even critical file system information are corrupt (the File Alocation Table on fat16,32 volume or the equivalent i cant remember the name on NTFS)

if such a thing happen there will be utility to ban those sector on the hardrive surface so no file are written on it ... you migth at the worst lost one GB (that's REALLY A WORST CASE AS EACH SECTOR ARE LIKE 5ko)

the only thing that cannot be corected is actual physical damage to the pin (the little thing that read the HD surface ) or other electric conponment... this is most likely impossible under normal HD condition ...

then came the fact that so much hard drive *died* on this machine .... if you consider that a death hard drive is an hardrive that make window crashes then i'll quote one of my pal msn nick

"If only Billy had a buck for each time wind0z crashes.... oh wait he does "

i had 6 blue screen of death in half an hours trying to install and hp all in one printer under xp :S with alwais usefull error report such as IRCL_NOT_GREATER_OR_EQUAL

My point is there is so much thing that can crash window .... maybee your hardrive were 100% ok but window crashed becauz of a complete deferent reason and when crashing it corrupted your hard drive

Now the real question is do you wish to be helped or you only there to whine ... as long as you stick to your point of my hard drive are death and we cant recover them ... then you wont be able to recover them for sure

Now you might be rigth ... your computer migth be an *HARD DRIVE KILLER* however its very not probable that your hard drive are not recoverable ... try changing your ram and flashing your bios if he's upgradable

NOW from the description of your problem i can see you are more from a gamer than a programer you migth not bother to check your harddrive becauz you dont know about hard drive checker and such

you lucky .. a while ago i discovered the world of data recovery ... or how to pack the most expensive program on a cd

I'go check fro some software that can help you and hopefully provide a direct download link if you wish to cooperate
    Windows XP setup crashed. Not windows.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast