Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Killer

Poster
    I have a problem with my primary IDE channel on my mobo right now.Here are my symptoms.
    1-some times my BIOS does not detect my hard drive
    2-sometimes while my BIOS is detecting my hard drive it freezes and displays a bunch of weird characters
    3-sometimes the computer crashes
    I know this is the problem with mine as the manufacturer has said so and the board will be RMA'd in the next week.
    Maybe you have the same problem.There is no way you have gone threw 6 hard drives unless you are either kicking the shit outta your computer or you "REALLY" have no clue what you are doing when working on your computer.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    /me thinks the culprit is this:

dodgy mobo

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by The Kiler@14 October 2003 - 02:54
    This is the information on the "dead" hard drive. This HDD is on another computer.

ATA Device Properties
    Model ID MDT MD200EB-11CSF0
    Serial Number MDT-PMAAV2898313
    Revision 04.01B04
    Parameters 38792 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 600 bytes per sector
    LBA Sectors 39102336
    Buffer 2 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
    Multiple Sectors 16
    ECC Bytes 40
    Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
    Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
    Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
    Unformatted Capacity 22375 MB

ATA Device Features
    SMART Supported
    Security Mode Supported
    Power Management Supported
    Advanced Power Management Not Supported
    Write Cache Supported
    Host Protected Area Supported
    Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
    Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
    48-bit LBA Not Supported
    Device Configuration Overlay Not Supported

Disk 0
    Type: Uknown
    Partition Style: Not applicable
    Capactiy: 0MB
    So you have an disk with a bad partition table - is this what you call dead?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    download discwizard 2003 from seagate, its free and will diagnose,re-format, and set up all drives. I repair pcs and this piece of software has accessed so called "dead" hardrives for me on a few occasions. it will even access an ntfs drive put in a fat32(win98 etc) based pc when put in as a slave. you have the option of making floppys to access in dos if req. it wont fix actual "dead" drives but may help you format and get the drive to be seen. also a note on ya mobo> have you installed a separate graphics card or sound card? if so you must disable the onboard built in features otherwise you will get conflicts. update ya bios with the latest version and maybe change ya battery if it quite an old board. do you have any beeps when you boot ie more than 1!? also try setting the mobo's settings to failsafe when installing xp and leave out things like modems and tv cards til it has setup and install them afterwards as these can give you blue screens in setup. hope this helps

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    Originally posted by lynx+14 October 2003 - 06:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 14 October 2003 - 06:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Kiler@14 October 2003 - 02:54
    This is the information on the "dead" hard drive. This HDD is on another computer.

ATA Device Properties
    Model ID MDT MD200EB-11CSF0
    Serial Number MDT-PMAAV2898313
    Revision 04.01B04
    Parameters 38792 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 600 bytes per sector
    LBA Sectors 39102336
    Buffer 2 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
    Multiple Sectors 16
    ECC Bytes 40
    Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
    Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
    Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
    Unformatted Capacity 22375 MB

ATA Device Features
    SMART Supported
    Security Mode Supported
    Power Management Supported
    Advanced Power Management Not Supported
    Write Cache Supported
    Host Protected Area Supported
    Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
    Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
    48-bit LBA Not Supported
    Device Configuration Overlay Not Supported

Disk 0
    Type: Uknown
    Partition Style: Not applicable
    Capactiy: 0MB
    So you have an disk with a bad partition table - is this what you call dead? [/b][/quote]
    Partition Magic called it bad.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    Originally posted by boyzeee@14 October 2003 - 08:40
    download discwizard 2003 from seagate, its free and will diagnose,re-format, and set up all drives. I repair pcs and this piece of software has accessed so called "dead" hardrives for me on a few occasions. it will even access an ntfs drive put in a fat32(win98 etc) based pc when put in as a slave. you have the option of making floppys to access in dos if req. it wont fix actual "dead" drives but may help you format and get the drive to be seen. also a note on ya mobo> have you installed a separate graphics card or sound card? if so you must disable the onboard built in features otherwise you will get conflicts. update ya bios with the latest version and maybe change ya battery if it quite an old board. do you have any beeps when you boot ie more than 1&#33;? also try setting the mobo&#39;s settings to failsafe when installing xp and leave out things like modems and tv cards til it has setup and install them afterwards as these can give you blue screens in setup. hope this helps
    I&#39;ll try. I&#39;ve been looking for HDD diagnostics for quite a while now.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    Poster
    maybe you should go to this page and download HDD Health and install it on your new drive before you start playing any games or anything and keep a good eye on it.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by johnboy27@14 October 2003 - 07:35
    maybe you should go to this page and download HDD Health and install it on your new drive before you start playing any games or anything and keep a good eye on it.
    What page is that, JB 27?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #59
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Hey the killer, so you didn&#39;t get rid of the green dwarfs ?

I told you, buy a pitbul and starve him.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #60
    lynx's Avatar .
    @Kiler, if you PM me with your email address, I will send you a little utility which will clear bad partition tables. It restores the first 128 sectors to factory state, which is all you need. You will need a Win98 type boot disk to run it.

If you are coming up with these problems every time you try to install XP, could I suggest you may have a faulty XP disk. It is not unknown for dodgy sources to infect these disks, or simply have bad areas.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast